It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blowing of the Levee and Flooding Brings Forth A Serious Pest!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
With the blowing of the levee and the flooding of all the land in Missouri, across the river in Kentucky we are being swarmed and bitten by what I have been told are sand flies that lived in the levee and in the sandy soil of the farmland that was flooded.

You can't stand outside late afternoon or evening! They swarm your face and head. Its scary. My husband was spraying insecticide on them and it didn't bother them one bit! Forget leaving your porch light on, they are everywhere and I mean thick! When they bite you they leave large welts that are several times more itchy that a mosquito bite! My brother had to go to the doctor. He works construction and his body is covered in large red extremely itchy welts cause by the bite of these things!! And for extra giggles, they are disease carriers! We have never had these things over here until this year!

Are any of you experiencing these things?
At first everyone was saying the gnats were terrible this year... thanks to my poor brother, we know they aren't gnats!

I was also told that these things will get into the nose of animals and lay eggs which could kill your pets! I am still looking into that!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Not here yet, but I am in Louisville. I will be on the look out for them though. They sound beastly.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Just a thought, but could it possibly be chiggers?

2nd line.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
got them here
had to clean bedding today

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jssaylor2007

No, they look kind of like mosquitos... legs not as long and not as big, that is why we were all calling them gnats at first. I swear they fly in your eyes and everything... they are aggresive! I went out to play with the puppies and couldn't stay out there! They were all over my head and face and the more I swatted at them the more came!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The state is getting to spray they say for mosquitos, but I am betting they are spraying for these mean little blood suckers! I hope it works!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Speaking of mosquitos, there'll be a plague of those as well with the residual standing water in saturated areas. Gonna be an ugly summer for the flood regions.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
take a picture
please
edit on 26-5-2011 by P-M-H because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

excuse my ignorance..im not from your area.
what is a chigger?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by P-M-H

I will try and get one tomorrow,they were all over the outside of the buidling where I work today, so I will see if I can get ya'll a close up!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
We are experiencing a horrible drought here in the panhandle of TX, it is getting pretty bad, and seems like it could be an economic disaster considering that our cotton isnt quite up, and that which is up is struggling pretty bad.

But in all honesty when I see the alternative I dont know which is worse. This could be the worst economic year for agriculture in a very long time.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by autopat51

Its an insect which is usually found near watery areas which burrows under the skin and causes red painful itchy welts.... not too much fun to have chigger bites.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Nothing like that in the Bluegrass. I doubt they get this far.
Sorry about this infestation you are experiencing.
Did you bring your puppies inside?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

Thats the truth! These flies had bitten my brother on the face so many times that his eye swoll shut! Couple that with the skeeters and yeah, a whole lotta scratchin' goin' on!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
www.asktheexterminator.com...

Some sand fly information at the above link.

They are only about 1/16 of an inch and are found in and around sand and mud near springs, ponds, creeks, lakes, and trees. Larvae can live year-round, but adult sand flies are most active in June, July, and August.

Like mosquitoes and buffalo gnats, sand flies survive by sucking blood from humans and animals. Females need blood to survive, whereas males do not need it and cannot bite.

On windy days, sand flies are less active. They are attracted to warm body temperatures; so outdoor manual workers are especially susceptible to sand fly bites. Bites produce reactions in humans such as swelling or rashes. Extreme swelling, itching, or other allergic reactions require medical attention. If you have these symptoms, take an antihistamine and go to the nearest hospital immediately.

Eww.

link   
If they are the same thing we have here then they are fruit flies. Oh man they are bad, and they are born out of the sandy soil.

I though the same thing that I was being attacked by biting Gnats, but these are flies, just tiny and mean!

I am in Southern New Mexico and we have not see one drop of rain since last October, so why these flies are so bad is beyond me.

link   

Also, info for those that don't know what a chigger is, they are tiny and orange. Hard to see at first. We check the steps and chairs outback before we sit down. They remind me of moving cayenne pepper particles. lol

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Yeah, my babies are in the house! They even bite and leave these itchy welts on the pets too! I won't be able to use to pool if the things don't go away soon! I am not chancing it!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
We get sandflies here in Australia near rivers. I got swarmed one summer and the tox level must have been more than my body could handle as I ended up getting almost all my skin turn to pussy legions I still have scars on my legs today as I had to keep popping them. Going to highschool covered in puss sores on every part of my skin it was not good for my social standing it was hell.

Citronella candles and bbq torches. Eucalyptus and citronella based creams will help keep em away. I feel for you I really do. I am still scarred physically and mentally from getting sandfly swarmed.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Super star for you!!

I appreciate a person who doesn't leave his/her pets to deal with adversity on their own!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join