It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can-Am Ultima GTR Worlds Fastest Car And Cheapest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Just a mention about the Can-Am Ultima GTR which sells for around $85,000 complete. They claim its the worlds fastest car.

I would show some nice pictures but...

just check them out the next time you get the supercar urge going, and I mean the 'affordable' alternative solution in the need for speed!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by firstonterror

No thanks I'll just stick to the SLS AMG.

The Can-Am Ultima GTR looks like a 1980's remote control future prototype car.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
According to this website, they count them as the 4th and 5th fastest - not bad by any counts, but it's beaten into first place by a Saleen.

World's Fastest Cars

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2279173cce95.jpg[/atsimg]

Can-Ummm no thank you.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0cbb3af56dea.jpg[/atsimg]

SLS AMG.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by firstonterror

Worlds fastest car = 2011 Bugatti Veyron Super Sport

Can-Am Ultima = FAIL.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
hey cool!

thanks for posting the pictures...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
They can park this Ultima GTR Rebellion R1k in front of my door and drop off the keys in my mailbox, I wouldn't mind waking up the whole block in the middle of the night if I could go racing with such a monster.

Cheers on cheap sports-cars that beat cars twice or triple that expensive, one of my neighbours has a Westfield

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This is undoubtedly pertaining to road course performance.....and not necessarily to looks.
The Can-Am Ultima GTR is essentially a street legal racing machine.

But pound for pound or dollar for dollar it is Very impressive performance for your money.

The key to this exceptional performance being good old American , tried and true, small block Chevrolet Horsepower !

SLS AMG is not in the same class. The AMG is a luxury touring car, and not a race car.
The kind of car you'd drive across Europe in a day with....which I have done in a Porsche...and was great fun.

The AMG SLS is indeed an exceptional car but categorically speaking as in comparing it with other performance production cars it wasn't THE fastest....though that isn't the utmost consideration with this car.

In the Fastest Lap series test recently performed by Car & Driver @ Virginia International Raceway, the SLS AMG faired about mid pack:

Mosler Photon
Lamborghini LP570-4 SuperLeggera
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Porsche 911 GT3 RS
Porsche 911 Turbo S
MB SLS AMG
Porsche Boxster Spyder
Ford Shelby GT500
Cadillac CTS Coupe
Lexus ISF

February 2011 Car & Driver Magazine

As the OP has stated, The virtue of the Ultima GTR is it's price. For less than the cost of even a Corvette Z06, which Bests the AMG SLS as well as the two Porsche 911s you can have true supercar performance.

Watch it beat the lap times of some of the worlds fastest at Top Gear's race track.

I do have an SLS AMG in Gran Turismo 5. With the addition of a steering wheel with paddle shifters It is awesome to drive on the Nurburgring in High Definition 1080P.

If money were not an issue, and I had somewhere in which to drive it fast, I'd own and SLS AMG in a heartbeat !!!

edit on 26-5-2011 by nh_ee because: edits

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

The S-class will always remain my favorite car, 2011 S65 AMG is breath taking and the damn price tag over 300,000 dollars.

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport 2011 - 431kmp/268mph.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

Just last night a friend & I were talking about the Bugatti. He lives the big life and was considering the purchase, until he found out the cost to maintain and re-tire. Meanwhile I go food shopping in a Saturn. aaargh!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Serizawa

Yep, that CAN Am Racer doesn't even have a trunk...it's simply a tube chassis, two seats and an engine....
It should be fast...there really isn't all that much to it...

But hence the term Can-Am....a racing series....

Speaking of Mercedes...
I actually worked on development of the S Class and the Maybach audio/navi/phone systems.
Where they are developed and built at the Mercedes Benz plant in Sindelfingen Germany.

They are very nice cars...built like tanks...but perform very well...

The S Class Mercedes Benz is the King of the road, or the Autobahn over there.

Years ago in the late 80's I had a lowly Porsche 944S in Germany. Which I had done basic intake and exhaust mods to ...

With the transmission over the rear axle it was very well balanced...in fact the Corvette adopted this....or stole this concept from Porsche who had first used it on the 928.

By law in Germany on the Autobahn, you are required to move over to the right lane yielding to the faster vehicle.

I pissed off many a "King" by flooring my little 4 cylinder Porsche which was able to top out at around 270 KPH.
which translates to 167 mph.

Which the big Benz could do on the straights...but would become unstable in the banked corners at those speeds and would have to reluctantly back off the throttle where I would lose them.

What was as much fun was running with another Porsche through the Swiss Alps on my way down to the Cote D'Azur....a girl none the less...
Lots of tunnels we were flat out.....at very illegal speeds IMA, before the days of the "Blitz" photo ticket cameras fortunately ....

Women over there CAN drive BTW...

Great car....and the good old days of camera and speed limit free driving on the Autobahn....

Well...it's getting late... I have to go ride my motorcycle for some g forces release ....

I'll post some pics of my Gran Turismo SLS AMG later....lots of fun and you don't risk losing your license !!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

Ah that's nice to hear, Now I know who to contact in case my command system on my S-class fails.

I'm currently using the S-class as an every day car, Thinking about switching to the Range Rover autobiography or the newest 2011 S-class although there's not much difference over the last 5 years. I have GT5 as well on the ps3 hardly play it anymore and I do have an SLS AMG and like 150 other cars on there

By the way I drive flat out on any stretch I can find, Daily. The cops can't do anything over here.
edit on 2-6-2011 by Serizawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Actually love the looks and the dash.

Looks like it's made to look like a classic

If you don't like the looks, it's probably you're too young
I'm 29 yo btw, with healthy appreciation for anything vintage, all the way back to the late 19th century

edit on 14-6-2011 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
small potatoes, all of em.....

top topics

join