It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiffany's open $500k line of credit for Gingrich while they lobby him

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This is TOTALLY not a bribe... right?

Tiffany's lobbied Callista Gingrich's committee

Tiffany's extended Newt Gingrich a non-standard, no-interest credit line of up to $500,000, while they were lobbying the congressional committee where his wife worked as chief clerk:

Filings by Tiffany’s lobbyist, Cassidy & Co., and other government records show that the firm’s spending on “mining law and mine permitting-related issues” in Congress, as well as the Forest Service, the Interior Department, and Interior’s Bureau of Land Management shot up sharply between during the period when Callista Gingrich was chief clerk at the House Agriculture Committee.

The Washington Post's Glen Kessler concluded that it was "highly dubious" that the Tiffany's no-interest loan was a standard agreement, as Gingrich claimed. The loan was first reported by POLITICO.

What a coincidence. And this SOB is running for president. Mwahahaha.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
dont get too upset newt doesnt have a snowballs chance of getting the nomination

and if by some miracle he did which i dont think that will ever happen there is no way in hell

people will elect him as potus.

altho being crooked is all it takes to become potus.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

dont get too upset newt doesnt have a snowballs chance of getting the nomination

Don't get too upset? The guy is still a representative of his constituents. Just cause he doesn't have a chance at being potus doesn't mean he can slime his way into 500,000 lobbying payoffs.

Gingrich: $500,000 jewelry debt is ‘normal way of doing business’

BTW he actually ran up that debt to 500,000, this wasn't a line of credit that went untapped. He used it.

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said Sunday that a debt of up to $500,000 to Tiffany’s had been paid off.

“Did you owe a half million dollars to a jewelry company at one point?” CBS’ Bob Schieffer asked Gingrich.

“It’s a standard no-interest account,” Gingrich explained. “We paid no interest on it. There was no problem with it. It’s a normal way of doing business.”

“I mean, it’s very odd to me that someone would run up a half million dollars… bill at a jewelry store,” Schieffer noted.

“Go talk to Tiffany’s. All I’m telling you is we are very frugal. We in fact live within our budget. We owe nothing,” Gingrich insisted.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
They'll never make him pay it off. This has something to do with some deal they must have going on. And with the dollar crashing, I'm not surprised if he used it all right away...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

Don't get too upset? The guy is still a representative of his constituents. Just cause he doesn't have a chance at being potus doesn't mean he can slime his way into 500,000 lobbying payoffs.

Gingrich: $500,000 jewelry debt is ‘normal way of doing business’

BTW he actually ran up that debt to 500,000, this wasn't a line of credit that went untapped. He used it.

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said Sunday that a debt of up to $500,000 to Tiffany’s had been paid off.

“Did you owe a half million dollars to a jewelry company at one point?” CBS’ Bob Schieffer asked Gingrich.

“It’s a standard no-interest account,” Gingrich explained. “We paid no interest on it. There was no problem with it. It’s a normal way of doing business.”

“I mean, it’s very odd to me that someone would run up a half million dollars… bill at a jewelry store,” Schieffer noted.

“Go talk to Tiffany’s. All I’m telling you is we are very frugal. We in fact live within our budget. We owe nothing,” Gingrich insisted.

Whoa!! Gingrich has been out of office since 1999!!!! It's not hard to spend $500k at Tiffany's. Especially if you are buying for a wife, mistress or daughters. Yes, Newt has had is share of mistresses. That being said it's business and he will never sit in the big chair in the oval office. He has way too much baggage and history. He has made some good points and has some good ideas but the man will be slaughtered and this story is a clear case of that.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Just wanted to bump this since Gingrich is running...

Gingrich is such a corrupt scumbag....

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Okay name me 5 congressmen that arent bribed in a similiar manner or took an high paying job in a company they wrote bills and amendments for, during their therm. Sadly in America corruption is legal and almost everyone is doing it.
edit on 13-12-2011 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

I never understood this attitude. Silent apathy makes sense, but why do some people always chime in, with a somewhat derogatory tone, to point out how imperfect the world is as a means of convincing all others to be apathetic too?

If you are active and aware enough to point out how common corruption is, you are responsible for fighting against it. You are a member of the Republic. At least take a stance of indignation rather than tacit acceptance.

We could begin tempering these problems tomorrow if we spent more time calling our representatives and newspapers.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Gingrich's Tiffany payoff pales in comparison to his Freddie Mac payoff. I'm not a big fan of Michelle Bachmann but she calls it right about Gingrich; he's the King of K Street.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Good.

Get him out of the way as soon as possible. This has only ever been a race between Ron Paul, and whoever the establishment puts up in the stuffed suit across from him. They tried Perry, then Cain, now Newt, Romney is laying back, and eventually it will be a race between Romney and Paul and the primary voters can pick their candidate.

Get Newt out of the way. He was already old news yesterday.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
This is TOTALLY not a bribe... right?

So Gingrich gets an account at Tiffanys - a line of credit which he is responsible for - and that's supposedly a bad thing ... BUT, Obama has a White House fully of real lobbiests, and a re-election campaign chairman who is a Wall Street Lobbiest, and Obama bails out Wall Street because they invested heavily in his campaign funding .... and that's okay?? Really?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

No. Both are entirely wrong!! And until we stop making politicians into millionairres, we are going to have corruption.

Ron Paul is a real step in the right direction, but he isn't a super-hero.

We have to completely re-write all campaign finance and create some new rules for the MSM and any any politically slanted support from anywhere.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
No. Both are entirely wrong!!

I'm seeing partisan amnesia when it comes to some people admitting that.

We have to completely re-write all campaign finance ...

Wasn't that tried ... McCain/(someoneorother) bill .... ???

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Campaign Finance Reform has been a catchphrase for a long time, but no politician really wants to solve the problem. We have to get rid of career politicians. We have to regulate how the press allots time. We have to get rid of PAC's. We have to demand financial disclosures.

It is an enormous undertaking, and I don't even know if the task is surmountable, but it is the only way to fix politics in the US.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Who ever said it was okay? Sorry but Obama and Gingrich are both corrupt to the bone and should be tried for their crimes.

top topics

join