It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70,000 more should evacuate after Fukushima: Watchdog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I searched for any sort of duplicate post and I didn't find anything, but if I did miss something, I'm sorry.

This appears to be another update, from India Times, on the "situation" (Sounds tame, doesn't it?). I thought I'd add this bit of knowledge to the massive heap.

70,000 more should evacuate after Fukushima: Watchdog:

PARIS: Seventy thousand people living beyond the 20-kilometre no-go zone around Fukushima should be evacuated because of radioactivity deposited by the crippled nuclear plant, a watchdog said.

There was also this:

Around 70,000 people, including 9,500 children aged up to 14, live in the area, "the most contaminated territory outside the evacuation zone," the agency said.

This reminds me of Chernobyl and how even when they had an "evacuation" it was far to late.

The IRSN report is based on data for radioactivity reported by the Japanese authorities and from US overflights of the zone.

70,000 more should evacuate after Fukushima: Watchdog

I'm disgusted as the rest of you (I can imagine) at the ugly fact that the "media" is all but ignoring this situation. I think it is beyond the point of bickering over "how bad" it is, and now a matter of trying to get the truth out there. I wish there was a way/method of consistent reporting of radiation levels that we could keep track of. If there is, please, someone post it!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
no one knows what is really going on. I do not think we will ever hear anything about it. When problems occur the media is on it, but afterwards if their still an on going problem or a problem that will take years to develop, the media cannot have a story like that. I am interested if pregnancy problems will occur in america

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sundowner
I'm disgusted as the rest of you (I can imagine) at the ugly fact that the "media" is all but ignoring this situation. I think it is beyond the point of bickering over "how bad" it is, and now a matter of trying to get the truth out there. I wish there was a way/method of consistent reporting of radiation levels that we could keep track of. If there is, please, someone post it!
You want me to post it? OK here it is:
blog.energy.gov...
You can see it's updated once every 1-2 weeks
The last update was May 13, and in that presentation, slides 7 and 8 show detailed maps of the latest fallout measurements. I even uploaded the map for you:

I tried to resize it but it's too hard to read, so you have to scroll to see the right side which is Cesium. The left is not Cesium specific, it's ground level dose.

You can see all the previous fallout maps there if you scroll down to the earlier dates and click "view the data".

The maps have changed somewhat but not a whole lot. There are clearly areas way outside the 20km zone that are seriously affected, just as your post suggests. You can see a streak of strong radiation going northwest.

I'm also mad it's being swept under the rug by the media, but GE I can understand since they control some major media and are still trying to sell reactors even though they designed the failed reactors.

Japan's ex-nuclear adviser resigned and, in the following video, broke down in tears. He says they aren't setting appropriate radiation limits for schools:

The University of Tokyo professor had been employed since mid-March as a nuclear advisor to the government of Prime Minister Naoto Kan, who is still battling the fallout from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. In his April 29 resignation, Kosako blinked back tears and accused the Japanese leadership of ignoring his advice on how to handle the nuclear crisis, particularly the setting of radiation limits for schools. Kosako even charged that the government had not fully complied with the law in its response to the nuclear disaster. "There is no point for me to be here," Kosako said in a tense press conference.
There's a story about a school 50 km away that is so radioactive they are digging up all the soil there, but did they close the school? No! It seems very wrong.

join