It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beliefs in UFOs no different from religious beliefs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Flying saucers, basically, yes, I believe that they are real, and I will be able to say that I know that they are real when there is complete disclosure.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Thousands of people have reported seeing UFOs and others have logical reasoning to believe them.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Fastriver

People of a religious persuasion may believe in "Jesus" - but they've never seen him.

They might believe in a "God" - but have no proof, no sightings. Nothing.

I don't "believe" in UFOs at all - I know UFO's exist - having seen them up close in plain daylight - along with thousands of others people simultaneously. At the same time. On the same day. In the same place.

So, yes, people can "believe" in UFO's if they wish. They can believe in God, or The Tooth Fairy too if they wish. But comparing a physical, recordable phenomenon with a legendary tale like The Bible or The Koran is not logical really.
J.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Are you being provocative just to get responses or do you honestly think this way?

Deep down, your argument actually has some merit. "Belief" (or one's chosen interpretation of perception) is a key factor in determining what someone "knows." But in that case, I could argue that the belief in the solidity of rocks was the same as religious beliefs!

I think it is basically a foolish game to draw parallels between subjects that have such widely differing contexts.

In traditional religion we are relying on texts based on stories that are thousands of years old, along with a few more modern "visions" and a little collection of miracles and so forth. That's the basic knowledge base of any traditional religion.

Whereas the knowledge base concerning "ET" involves physical evidence, photographs, films and videos, and the testimonies of thousands of witnesses, many of them still living! These are two totally different knowledge bases.

What we are going through might be better-likened to the formation of a new "religion."

The ancients who put the old teachings together, we can easily imagine, had either direct physical or telepathic contact with their sources. They as much as say this in the stories handed down.

Now we have a whole new generation with a whole new set of stories about events that must in some ways be very similar. But this time we have a language and a science almost on a par with our "visitors." In a sense, this is a whole new chance to do this whole thing over, and do a much better job this time. What we are going through now probably does have the potential to degenerate into a set of "religious stories" that do not really convey the intentions or realities of the "visitors." If that happens, it will just lead to another "religion." But right now, it's a different scene. We are practically face-to-face with this phenomenon and we have a chance to really confront it this time and understand it for what it is. That's really the big difference.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ChildoftheAnnunaki

People believe in UFOs because of credible witness statements, photos and video evidence.....

reply to post by TechUnique

There is an extremely larger amount of evidence to back the idea of intelligent extra terrestrial life

reply to post by ItsAnOddFuture

So believing in the concept of unidentified flying objects is the same as believing in a religion?

reply to post by FireMoon

Suspecting UFOs exist, is almost diametrically opposite in its' conceptual nature.

And I'm going to stop there before I disturb myself even further.

Some of you have it right when you say "unidentified flying object". But let's take an objective look at it okay..

how exponential is the step from UFO(unidentified flying object) to intelligent, extraterrestrial life that has all sorts of plans draw up for us?

It's about as exponential as: "This is a book that holds some life lessons" to "This book comes from God and contains Gods words".

I mean, really...?

That doesn't take away the odds of extraterrestrial life existing, however intelligent, but sometimes we humans
get ahead of ourselves and take a couple of steps instead of one.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Belief in anything is just that. A belief.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
They are God's ufo's he owns them all....but I don't see religion and ufo belief as being the same...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by WingedBull

Originally posted by Dastardly666
I don't think it has anything to do with believing in or worshipping aliens.

You still misunderstand the difference between wanting "the truth" about UFOs and the Disclosure/Exo-Politics movement; I am making a very important distinction.

Originally posted by Dastardly666 And I don't think it has anything to do punishing governments and aliens giving us utopia.

Then you have not listened to the words of the Disclosure/Exo-Politics movement; one of the tenets is that after Disclosure those who have kept the secret, the powers-that-be, or whatever group each individual members hates, will be punished for the state of the world, and that Disclosure will save us, every worldly ill will be solved by the omnipotent aliens. It is an eschatological faith, aside from window dressing little different than other apocalyptic beliefs.

You're still missing the point. But if you continue to say it is, then the skeptics trying to debunk and spread disinfo regarding UFO and ET stories and sightings at every opportunity can also be compared to religion. We see this regularly on ATS! And how about sportsmen and women who train every day to become the best and win. Shouldn't they be compared to religion?

People in power who fail to disclose information regarding public safety should be punished. They took office to protect the public and NOT themselves. At the end of the day, UFOs flying about our airspace causing near misses, accidents etc. or ET who could provide a better life for all instead of a selected few is in the public interest.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
religion spread virtue,nomatter if all the doctrine is correct or not,it give us good effection,ufo hardly affect us.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
please read the book of enoch he clearly states gods angels came down and in thier round flying charoits and took him to a place god resides that is the same size as the moon, aslo read the bible ezikal (sorry mispelled) he cleary describes gods angels coming down in a flying machine ufos are in the bible and other religus text not just the bible the sandsripts say the gods fly around in vimania which are ufos, thier is no reason for people to say ufo and religous beliefs are different please read the bible first then make comments

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by darktower

Again, wether you take note of the supposed UFO links in the bible or not, has nothing to do with the areas of the brain that ones thinking on these two things occupies. My belief in God has NOTHING to do with my interest in UFO, and aliens, which resides squarely in the analytical segments of my mind as a subject of interest closer to the sciences .

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

So, back to square one: beliefs in "UFOs" are no different from "religious beliefs".

wrong. there are many witnesses to u.f.o.'s.
i have seen a u.f.o. firsthand, i do not know what it's origin was but it could not be explained by the usual explanations or know craft.

so already it is not like believing in religion because there is evidence pointing to it and in a lot of peoples case they have seen one. i have never seen any evidence god is real and i have never seen him/her/it.
edit on 27-5-2011 by lifeform11 because: typo

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by darktower

Again, wether you take note of the supposed UFO links in the bible or not, has nothing to do with the areas of the brain that ones thinking on these two things occupies. My belief in God has NOTHING to do with my interest in UFO, and aliens, which resides squarely in the analytical segments of my mind as a subject of interest closer to the sciences .

My belief in GAOD has EVERYTHING to do with my interest in ET Starcraft, and actual space ALIEN entities along with there ROBOT'S!!!

Foofighter's forever.

Erno86

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Erno86

Although I must confess to seeing a certain degree of sarcasm in your words, I must point out that people who GENUINELY think like this are those whose opinion carries the least weight, and for very good reason. Its the same reason you cant trust mystics and channelers to tell you anything about UFO or aliens. That would be, thier opinions are biased by thier beliefs, instead of being based on the evidence they have gathered.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I only have one thing that comes to mind when I read this. No religious figure has ever been seen on a daily bases in the sky above, however Extraterrestrial craft have been sited over and over again. So there is evidence for the people who believe ET existence and therefore is not just based on faith as christianity is or any other mainstream religion.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
i seen this on someones signature here on ats
'man created god not god created man'
very true

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
i agree with you to a point, the idea that inteligent aliens are visiting our planet does take a lot of faith, in the same way that believing in a god or gods takes a lot of faith.

however, the idea of life existing on another planet in our universe takes absoutely no faith at all, its just a case of probability. of all the stars, planets, moons ect we simply cannot be the only one that formed inteligent life. its just statistically impossible

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretKnowledge
i seen this on someones signature here on ats
'man created god not god created man'
very true

true, very true

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Brenda Denzler wrote a book on this called "Lure of the Edge". She is a scholar of religion who looked hard at this question and came away unconvinced that you can so straightforwardly identify UFO "belief" with religion.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by disownedsky

Brenda Denzler wrote a book on this called "Lure of the Edge". She is a scholar of religion who looked hard at this question and came away unconvinced that you can so straightforwardly identify UFO "belief" with religion.

In my opinion, Brenda Denzler has no idea of what religion is or stands for- Like faith in my ET Gaods!!!

For Foofighter's

Erno86

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join