It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerry's quotes on Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The following are quotes from John Kerry in regards to the Iraq war and Saddam Hussein, the quotes are from before the Iraq war and his stance then, which he supported the removal of SH, and now his reversal of these statements.

I am not trying to bash JFK, just get the facts out in regards to comments he has made.

john

SEN. JOHN KERRY: "[I]t is something that we know-for instance, Saddam Hussein has used weapons of mass destruction against his own people, and there is some evidence of their efforts to try to secure these kinds of weapons and even test them." (CBS' "Face The Nation," 9/23/01)

"Face The Nation" 9/23/01

KERRY: "He is and has acted like a terrorist, and he has engaged in activities that are unacceptable." (Fox News' "The O'Reilly Factor," 12/11/01)

KERRY: "[I] think we ought to put the heat on Saddam Hussein. I've said that for a number of years, Bill. I criticized the Clinton administration for backing off of the inspections, when Ambassador Butler was giving us strong evidence that we needed to continue. I think we need to put the pressure on, no matter what the evidence is about September 11 ..." (Fox News' "The O'Reilly Factor," 12/11/01)

"The O'Reilly Factor" 12/11/01

KERRY: "I think we clearly have to keep the pressure on terrorism globally. This doesn't end with Afghanistan by any imagination. And I think the president has made that clear. I think we have made that clear. Terrorism is a global menace. It's a scourge. And it is absolutely vital that we continue, for instance, Saddam Hussein." (CNN's "Larry King Live," 12/14/01)

"Larry King Live" 12/14/01

MSNBC'S CHRIS MATTHEWS: "Do you think that the problem we have with Iraq is real and it can be reduced to a diplomatic problem? Can-can we get this guy to accept inspections of those weapons of mass destruction potentially and get past a possible war with him?" (MSNBC's "Hardball," 2/5/02)

KERRY: "Outside chance, Chris. Could it be done? The answer is yes. But he would view himself only as buying time and playing a game, in my judgment. Do we have to go through that process? The answer is yes. We're precisely doing that. And I think that's what Colin Powell did today." (MSNBC's "Hardball," 2/5/02)

I agree completely with this Administration's goal of a regime change in Iraq ..." - John Kerry, 7/29/02 Remarks at the 2002 DLC National Conversation, NY (Senator John Kerry, Speech To The 2002 DLC National Conversation, New York, NY, 7/29/02)

Saddam Hussein is a renegade and outlaw who turned his back on the tough conditions of his surrender put in place by the United Nations in 1991." - John Kerry, 7/29/02 Remarks at the 2002 DLC National Conversation, NY (Senator John Kerry, Speech To The 2002 DLC National Conversation, New York, NY, 7/29/02)

KERRY: "I would disagree with John McCain that it's the actual weapons of mass destruction he may use against us, it's what he may do in another invasion of Kuwait or in a miscalculation about the Kurds or a miscalculation about Iran or particularly Israel. Those are the things that - that I think present the greatest danger. He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It's the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat." (CBS' "Face The Nation," 9/15/02)

KERRY:"George, I said at the time I would have preferred if we had given diplomacy a greater opportunity, but I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." (ABC News Democrat Presidential Candidates Debate, Columbia, SC, 5/3/03

KERRY: "And the fact is, in the resolution that we passed, we did not empower the President to do regime change." (NBC's "Meet The Press," 8/31/03)

KERRY: "I voted to threaten the use of force to make Saddam Hussein comply with the resolutions of the United Nations." (Sen. John Kerry, Remarks At Announcement Of Candidacy, Patriot's Point, SC, 9/2/03)

LOS ANGELES TIMES' DOYLE McMANUS: "If that amendment does not pass, will you then vote against the $87 billion?" (CBS' "Face The Nation," 9/14/03)

KERRY: "I don't think any United States senator is going to abandon our troops and recklessly leave Iraq to whatever follows as a result of simply cutting and running. That's irresponsible. What is responsible is for the administration to do this properly now. And I am laying out the way in which the administration could unite the American people, could bring other countries to the table, and I think could give the American people a sense that they're on the right track. There's a way to do this properly. But I don't think anyone in the Congress is going to not give our troops ammunition, not give our troops the ability to be able to defend themselves. We're not going to cut and run and not do the job." (CBS' "Face The Nation," 9/14/03)

CHYRON: John Kerry Voted

CHYRON: NAY

CHYRON: S. 1689 10/17/03

CHYRON: Emergency Supplemental Appropriations forIraq and Afghanistan Security & Reconstruction (S. 1689, CQ Vote #400: Passed 87-12: R 50-0; D 37-11; I 0-1, 10/17/03, Kerry Voted Nay)

KERRY: "I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it ..." (Glen Johnson, "Kerry Blasts Bush On Protecting Troops," The Boston Globe, 3/17/04)

KERRY: "I'm proud to say that John joined me in voting against that $87 billion ..." (John Kerry, Remarks At "Women's Voices: A Luncheon with John Kerry," Boston, MA, 7/12/04)

KERRY: "So clearly the allies may not like it, and I think that's our great concern - where's the backbone of Russia, where's the backbone of France, where are they in expressing their condemnation of such clearly illegal activity, but in a sense, they're now climbing into a box and they will have enormous difficulty not following up on this if there is not compliance by Iraq." (CNN's "Crossfire," 11/12/97)

KERRY: "I think there is a disconnect between the depth of the threat that Saddam Hussein presents to the world and what we are at the moment talking about doing. ... [T]hen we have to be prepared to go the full distance, which is to do everything possible to disrupt his regime and to encourage the forces of democracy." (ABC's "This Week," 2/22/98)

ABC'S COKIE ROBERTS: "And does that mean ground troops in Iraq?" (ABC's "This Week," 2/22/98)

KERRY: "I am personally prepared, if that's what it meant." (ABC's "This Week," 2/22/98)

KERRY: "I am way ahead of the commander in chief, and I'm probably way ahead of my colleagues and certainly of much of the country. But I believe this. I believe that he has used these weapons before. He has invaded another country. He views himself as a modern-day Nebuchadnezzar. He wants to continue to play the uniting critical role in that part of the world. And I think we have to stand up to that." (ABC's "This Week," 2/22/98)

join