It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Measles case confirmed in central Iowa, emergency declared

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Measles case confirmed in central Iowa, emergency declared

www.desmoinesregister.com

State health officials declared a “public health emergency” today after a test confirmed a case of measles in a Dallas County resident.

Officials were asking people who might have been exposed to the person to check their immunization status. They said those possibly exposed include people who were on American Airlines Flight 3965 from Chicago to Des Moines at midday May 11 and people who were in the Des Moines airport’s main terminal or baggage area from 1 to 3:45 p.m. that day. Also, anyone who was at Mercy Central Pediatric Clinic, 330 Laurel St. in Des Moines, after 10 a.m. May
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Another simple case of the measles..right? Most likely this is not a big deal, but I find it odd that they have declared an emergency when at least 85% of us have been vaccinated!

Other states with small outbreaks did not declare statewide medical emergencies when their measles outbreaks occured, including Minnesota. Please provide some links if I am wrong on that one.

Also, I find it interesting that the CDC just recently released their "Zombie" prepardness guide this month. I am sure there is no connection, but food-for-thought to say the least.

www.desmoinesregister.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24-5-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: add text

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Agreed, why the fuss unless their is something their not telling us. Hey that ryhmes
Maybe mutated Measles or Zombie Measles to go along with the zombies threads of late. Thanks for the info. Peace

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Measles is a very infectious illness caused by rubeola virus. It is an endemic disease so it is continually active in populations and many develop resistance to the virus. However, when exposures occur in areas where the virus has not been present, the result can be devastating.

So if we vaccinate 85% of the population and the virus is able to infiltrate somehow, there could be some serious complications. Who knows?

www.calhospitalprepare.org...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I might be showing my age here, but I remember when measles was just a childhood disease that most of us got at least once. Sure there are vaccines for it now, I got talked into one when I was in college, broke out in red spots overnite

When I got pregnant and the doctor tested me for German measles, he said I tested as for having it before. I didn't remember, and he said it was probably what I had thought was just a rash.

Has it changed somehow? Is it really that much more serious of a disease now?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
An emergency for measles ????
strange..
this is the pox... no wait...

www.cdc.gov...
edit on 24-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Yes, there are two measles vaccinations we are required to have if we are to enlist in the military or attend public schools.

reply to post by sprocket2cog

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
An emergency for measles ????
strange..

www.cdc.gov...

Exactly my thought! Otherwise I would have passed this off as just another case of measles, but why the emergency? It's the CT in me.

edit on 24-5-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: fix quotes/reply

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I don't think anyone is looking at the bigger picture here... Makes you wonder why they suddenly want to vaccinate people again? Can this be stage 2 of the H1N1 epidemic? Do they just want to Finnish off their test subjects? I never take these needles, because you NEVER know what kind of JUNK they are putting into the peoples systems. .............just sayin

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I live in Iowa it was probably issued as a state emergency in order to get the info released acrossed the state. Also we have a larger than normal Senior Citizen population of which most or none of us have been vaccinated against measles. Another thought is we also have a large population of immigrants which many of them I am sure haven't been vaccinated for measles as well.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

First the Whooping Cough makes a comeback because of paranoid people causing ten dead children in just California recently and now the Measles are making a comeback. Amazing peoples unfounded paranoid delusions have to hurt the children.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I remember having the measles when i was a kid. Does seem like an over-reaction. Maybe its time to get the house up to Zombie-proof specs.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

I live in Iowa as well, that's why I stumbled across this on the DMR website.

We do have a large population of older folks, but as an earlier post noted many of them have had it early in their childhoods. Also, to be admitted into Iowa public schools you must have this vaccination. I believe most of our population would be covered, so why declare an emergency?

ETA: Immigrants are a good point. I believe un-vaccinated Somali's were at the root of the Minnesota cases.

edit on 24-5-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-5-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: spellin's

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
" I find it interesting that the CDC just recently released their "Zombie" prepardness guide this month. I am sure there is no connection, but food-for-thought to say the least."
Perhaps I am naive, but the CDC's Zombie Apocalypse page certainly appeared to be tongue in cheek and likely for marketing/PR purposes?
Oh well, I got plenty blunt objects at home (don't want to attract more, ya know!)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This is definitely a concern. Hard to say if it's tiny insignificant concern or huge apocalyptic concern. I think the only thing certain is the sky is indeed falling... business as usual on ATS.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by spiritualzombie

Oh, I don't know if the sky is falling...but that is a constant theme by many ATS. I was just bringing this isuee to light. That's all.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I can personaly confirm that measles is deadly. My Mother (Cherokee), her 9 brothers and sisters, Mother and Father contacted measles before immunization was available. Her Mother and Father died 2 days apart, another brother and sister also died. The remaining children were scattered into orphanges. I too remember
having measles and I had the vaccine and came out of it just fine. However if someone has not had the
vaccine it can be very very dangerous. I can understand why they are taking precautions.

top topics

join