It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Millions at risk from earthquakes'. Preparation, acceptance, or warning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Millions 'at risk from earthquakes'

Okay folks, following the speculation from people regarding the earthquake off Japan being brought about by technologies such as HAARP and further speculation regarding geo-engineering warfare, is it just possible that the Main-stream Media are now entering a preparatory phase for an impending, but practically invisible, planned event?

Have a look at a surprisingly random headline running on Yahoo! News this morning. It seemed rather out of place and rather alarmist compared to your run-of-the-mill 'who is having an affair with who' garbage that is normally on their homepage.

Millions of people in Europe, the Middle East and Asia are at risk from deadly tremors which can strike out of the blue in unmapped earthquake zones, scientists have warned.

As an aside, I'm on the fence regarding HAARP. It clearly has a 'beyond line of sight' military communications purpose, but for me it still has to be proven to be capable of anything else.

Unless you have evidence to the contrary...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Well the Christchurch earthquakes of September 2010 and February this year were both from previously unknown fault lines - the 2nd one was from a different one than the 1st that the 1st hadn't "revealed".

So IMO they're just reminding us all that we may THINK we know where all the fault lines are - but truth is we really do not have a crystal ball to see everything that is is in the crust - there's a lot there we do not know about, including potentially active faults.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Well the Christchurch earthquakes of September 2010 and February this year were both from previously unknown fault lines - the 2nd one was from a different one than the 1st that the 1st hadn't "revealed".

Huh?

They've known the area around Christchurch is occasionally prone to earthquakes for many years.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
What I think they're trying to affirm is that it is possible that there may be a large mid-plate earthquake in an area that is either known for its very small quakes, or a mid-continental plain where earthquakes rate in the very lower end of the Richter Scale.

So what I want to know is... are there any examples of this 'mid-continental' mega-quake in living memory? I'm 35, and I don't recall massive quakes wiping out 1 million people. Perhaps the Shaanxi quake of 1557 falls into this category. Or perhaps the 1920 Haiyuan earthquake.

But why scaremonger now?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by boyg2004
What I think they're trying to affirm is that it is possible that there may be a large mid-plate earthquake in an area that is either known for its very small quakes, or a mid-continental plain where earthquakes rate in the very lower end of the Richter Scale.

So what I want to know is... are there any examples of this 'mid-continental' mega-quake in living memory? I'm 35, and I don't recall massive quakes wiping out 1 million people. Perhaps the Shaanxi quake of 1557 falls into this category. Or perhaps the 1920 Haiyuan earthquake.

But why scaremonger now?

They point out in the article that interior quakes have actually killed more people in the last 100 years than "ring of fire" type quakes.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

Over the past century, earthquakes on large fault lines where shifting plates of the Earth's crust collide and slip have claimed around 800,000 lives, say the experts writing in the journal Nature Geoscience. Around half these deaths were due to tsunamis like the one which struck the north-east coast of Japan in March.
In contrast, sudden earthquakes in continental interiors within the plates killed around 1.4 million. Interior quakes also killed far more people directly by shaking the ground and toppling buildings.

Nobody claimed any single quake ever killed a million people. That's just the total. See the list of earthquakes by death toll here:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

And here's the breakdown from the Nature article.

www.nature.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ab0049e6b0a0.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 24-5-2011 by Uncinus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Huh?

They've known the area around Christchurch is occasionally prone to earthquakes for many years.

All the previous quakes "in" Chch were from known fault lines in and around the Southern Alps.

The 2 recent ones were from faults that were not known of before the quakes hit.

It's not that Chch never experienced quakes - it is that these new faults were much closer and did a lot more damage than similar sized quakes would have if they had occured on the known fault lines.

top topics

join