It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOCIAL: Conservatives say: Legalize pot?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I have to take an extreme view...

I think that all drugs should be
legalized. I don't use (most) drugs,
and I think that there is enough
information out that anyone
today should be aware of the
potential hazards of many drugs.
People should have the right to
choose, even if it means choosing
to be idiots. As long as drugs
remain illegal, a situation which
creates a strong criminal subculture
exists. To legalize drugs is to
clean up society while at the
same time thinning the herd
by killing the stupid. Too
much of any substance can be
dangerous. Life is risky. We
are mortal.
I find it hard to believe that there
is a moral basis for criminalized
drugs. My suspicion is that it
has much more to do with
social control. It's too bad
that we live in a world where
so many presumably responsible
thinking adults choose systems
of government that treat them
like children.
Some drugs do in fact facilitate
contemplative states that I think
would prove to be beneficial to
the human race as a whole.
There is nothing better than a
stimulated imagination.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Do you think that by legalizing it, it will become more available? It's everywhere now. I'm at work and I probably wouldn't have to leave to get some. AND I WORK IN A JAIL!

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Do you think that by legalizing it, it will become more available? It's everywhere now. I'm at work and I probably wouldn't have to leave to get some. AND I WORK IN A JAIL!

Possibly, but I think the fact that it's
illegal is what makes it a social problem.
Alcohol could also be called a social
problem but civilization has survived its
ravages so far...

[edit on 8/20/2004 by jdster]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Originally posted by BlackJackal
More fuel for the debate????

Cannabis could treat brain cancer

Cannabis may provide a new way of treating deadly brain cancer, new research suggests.

Scientists have shown that cannabinoids hold back the growth of blood vessels which feed the tumour.

Cutting off tumours' blood supply is one of the latest anti-cancer strategies being explored by scientists.

In the Spanish study, cannabinoids significantly reduced the growth of tumours in laboratory mice, reports New Scientist.

www.ananova.com...

I will back this up, and add the goverment has knowen for some time.
americanmarijuana.org...

Here is another link to the same story that I posted on ASTNN a while back.

SCI/TECH: Cannabis Extract may Inhibit Tumor Growth

Herre is another story on THC interaction with Rats.
Medical Marijuana: Unpublished Federal Study Found THC- Treated Rats Lived Longer, Had Less Cancer

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
In my opionion Pot should be legalized, it is not a violent drug, it is not as bad for you as cigarettes or alcohol.It is not very addictive. Plus if it was legalized it would stop the crime surrounding it. Plus it would be a prime scource of tax money for our goverment a great capitalization oppurtunity.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Here is an interesting read. Seem many police officials, judges, etc think that pot should be "legal." It was also interesting that pot use among teens in Holland is about half the rate of the States.

www.doctordeluca.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I think all of you are asking the wrong question. I believe there are two relevant question: 1) Is drug use a problem? 2) If so, what can be done about it?

If you agree Bush campaign staffer that Prozac is the solution for people, who have lousy lives, I suppose promoting recreational drug use isn't a problem. Along with mood altering drugs, other recreational drugs help many get through lives where they aren't emotionally fufilled, otherwise. However, I don't think that is what the Declaration of Independence means when it talks about "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" (emphasis added).

The problem is that many Americans feel they have nothing better to do than get wasted on some drug of choice. Now, we can offer treatement programs to help people quit, but that doesn't really get to the root of the problem. The problem stems from the US government subsidzing the growth of suburbia, and the death of the centers of American cities. Ever since General Motors destroyed California's public transportation system, and later others around the country, billions of tax dollars have been spent subsidizing the roads and infrastructure to encourage people to abandon the centers of cities and small towns across America. Meanwhile, corporations have worked to move away from city centers, where they were forced by powerful unions to pay decent wages, to rural areas or other countries, where they can force people to work for lower wages. Another causes has been racism, as white families have tried to flee blacks, who generally live in urban centers.

I've heard from Kids, who live out in the new housing developments that "out here there's only sex and drugs". From what I've heard, the same is often true in rural areas. I'm not saying I think everyone should live in large cities, but rather we need more real towns, which consist of more than just strip malls. These kids don't see any opportunity within the corporatized system for them to pursue the American dream. Instead, many turn to drugs.

Many things need to be done to correct this situation, and it is a complex issue. However, I think these issues need to be addressed instead of further subsidizing the status quo.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I believe the reason Pot is still illegal is not because it's a gateway drug, but because its a gatekeeper drug.

I had this conversation with a friend a few weeks actually, and yes, we both smoke from time to time.

When we were kids..

We wanted to smoke cigarettes.. because we weren't supposed to.

We also wanted to drink.. because we weren't supposed to.

We also wanted to do drugs.. because we werent supposed to.

Now, if you take marijuanna out of the "drug category" whats that leave you? A whole slew of really nasty drugs that kids WILL do because they're not supposed to. Instead of doing pot, they'll do coke, or crack, or heroine.. not because those things are better or worse then pot, but because those drugs are the only "Drugs" left to be experimented with.

Most kids that experiment with drugs always try pot first. And they like it so much they have no urge to experiment further. They did what their immature minds set out to do, try drugs.

Even dicriminalizing drugs will take it out of the Rebel Youth group's eye of "drugs."

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
In Most cases i would support the legalization of marijuana because:
A.Its not as addicting as cigarettes, it doesnt cause cancer like cigarettes, it relieves pain and stress.
B. If it was made legal it would stop the crime around it.
C. Are goverment would make a lot of money off taxing it.
If it was made legal i would say the legal age should be 21 because even though cigarettes are worse, you dont get high off of them.Being high makes people drive messed up and stuff.Marijuana is not a violent drug and it doesnt make you do a bunch of dumb crap either.

But i do not support the legalization because the people of america are not mature enough to handle it in society.

People would become really slow and stupid. And all the good things in our country would decline. Then more of are tax money would go into making those retards better.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by phantompatriot
C. Are goverment would make a lot of money off taxing it.

Where the hell does this come from! I get soooo tired of hearing this. If it is made legal, then the government is choosing not to take a stance on whether it is bad or not (and, in fact, it is wrong on many levels for the gov. to take that stance), so how can it justify more than regular sales tax on it?
The government is not a business, stop trying to make it run like one. The point of taxes is not to make a profit, it is not get as much money as it can. You want to just throw money into the government, do it. Just don�t ask me to. Would a pot tax be ok just because big brother takes your money for the substances you use now? Two wrongs don't make a right!

But i do not support the legalization because the people of america are not mature enough to handle it in society.

Only you are mature enough, right? No one else but you. The rest of us would just cover our bodies in tie-dye, grow out our hair and be high all the time, right?

Then you support alcohol prohibition?

Then more of are tax money would go into making those retards better.

Well then what the hell was the pot tax supposed to be for, if not for that!!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I just had a thought on this matter, Jamica is one of the BIGGEST countries for the use of Canabis, but where as people say that it owuld make everyone calmer etc....This actually wrong. Jamica has some of the worse towns and cities in the world for crime.....If the whole thing was true about it making everyone mellow is true wouldnt there be less trouble....The Problem is tho this drug is mild compared to the many others available, starting at this level is something that leads to harder drugs, I have seen this occur among friends before, and its not a pretty thing....its also lead them to start smoking etc.....

so how can people say canabis is good ? All it does is cause problems

posted on Oct, 22 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I think many in the conservative movement is taking another look at pot. To the fiscal conversative, it takes a lot of money to lock up pot heads, and the compassionate conservative would rather put that money towards rehab. I think it'll be a while before the whole party reaches a consensus on this issue, but it's being debated. I remember a National Review cover story several months back talked about this.

At the very, very least the punishment should be less severe. I don't see why anyones lives should be ruined because they wanted to smoke some pot. Nor do I feel pot is as bad as other drugs - and certainly alcohol can be as destructive as any drug out there in the wrong hands.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Drug education was a joke. the war on drugs is a big friggin joke.

Kids can get a hold of pot alot easier than they can legalized booze.

i should know, when i was in school, I smoked it quite often.

All these anti drug adds were laughed at and still are by kids. We used to watch that stupid commerical, when we were high, with the egg frying and the caption: "This is your brain on Drugs. Any Questions? " And we would say like, yeah....wow, that egg looks good....how long you cook it for? Im Hungry!

The point is, legalizing pot is not gonna cause the youth to turn into hopeless dope addicts. Busting people for pot does not deter or lessen the use of drugs. its a waste of time.

Alot of my friends got pot from their parents. Their parents saw nothing wrong with it, had smoked it for years, and suffered no ill effects. hell, my best source for it was my uncle, who grew skunkweed in our backyard.

There is no rational arguement against it. Legalize it, and stop the nonsense and waste. End of story. people have been smoking or eating it before civilization existed, and will continue to do so, and despite all the questionable "research" there has been no proof that it is bad for your health in moderation. in excess, anything is bad for you, and alcohol in moderation is 100 times more dangerous and toxic than our little green friend, "Mr Bud".

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
All these anti drug adds were laughed at and still are by kids. We used to watch that stupid commerical, when we were high, with the egg frying and the caption: "This is your brain on Drugs. Any Questions? " And we would say like, yeah....wow, that egg looks good....how long you cook it for? Im Hungry!

I believe there has been research done, which has showed that those who underwent DARE were more likely to use illegal drugs. I suspect many of the "anti-"drug commercials have the same effect.

Nancy Reagon came out with the "Just Say No" campaign while Reagon's friends were smuggling drugs into America in what was the Iran Contra scandal. The whole "anti-"drug campaign has been done by hypocritical theologists. They say such ridiculous things abotu various drugs, that their whole campaign becomes unbelieveable. Meanwhile, they peddle the drugs.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Absolutly pot should be leagalized. Of all the drugs out there including alcohol it is probably least harmful. Its kind of silly that they outlaw a plant anyway.

By the way, alcohol is the only drug you can die from during withdrawl.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Even the Democratic nominee Kerry is Pro Pot. Wait he changed his mind. Im getting dizzy from all of his flip flops.

Kerry Said His �Personal Disposition Is Open To The Issue Of Medical Marijuana.� �Aaron Houston of the Granite Staters for Medical Marijuana said that just a month ago Mr. Kerry seemed to endorse medical marijuana use, and when asked about the content of his mysterious study, said, �I am trying to find out. I don�t know.� Mr. Kerry did say his �personal disposition is open to the issue of medical marijuana� and that he�d stop Drug Enforcement Administration raids on patients using the stuff under California�s medical marijuana law.� (Jennifer Harper, �Inside Politics,� The Washington Times, 8/8/03)

But don't chisel that in stone:

But Now Kerry Says He Wants To Wait For Study Analyzing Issue Before Making Final Decision. �The Massachusetts Democrat said Wednesday he�d put off any final decision on medical marijuana because there�s �a study under way analyzing what the science is.�� (Jennifer Harper, �Inside Politics,� The Washington Times, 8/8/03)

It is hard to figure out were Kerry stands on the issues, its like trying to watch a windvane in a tornado

[edit on 5-8-2004 by FredT]

I havent really read into the details of How Mr. Kerry has changed positions on different issues... To me It seems to be HUMAN NATURE, better that than making desicions you feel guilty or uncertain about (like bush) ... I see it just as proof that the republican administration is so desperate and misleading.

As for the drug issue, Other than areas becoming "dry" for whatever reasons... the laws of marijuana have never affected me to my knowledge....just dont get busted!

I think its funny though during prohibition the government spent billions to erradicate the industry.....only to adopt it and legalize it???
what a flip flop!!!! who was pres. then??

george washington grew hemp...and in his last years of life, he distilled hundreds of gallons of whiskey.

I worked at a housing component manufacturing plant for a few months.
You know where they get there wood products?
BRAZIL!! and forests in NA.... think of all those whiskey barrels and glass containers that were destroyed... what a waste of money and resources!

Also...did somthing happen recently that allows hard liquer commercials to aire on TV? I dont remember seeing them ever...
yesterday I saw a comm for crown royal.....there slogan was...
"KNOW YOUR LIMIT"
hehe what a good subliminal propaganda tactic...
midswell say "drink everyday and become dependant"

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Pot was made illegal in 1936, it started in New Orleans over an exaggeration of petty theft that lead to falsified murders, and rapes.

They outlawed alcohol before they outlawed pot, when they outlaws pot, they legalised alcohol.

The sultant of Syria gave the US opium for their independance day, coke, opium, hash, and pot were all legal.

Leave it to the legislature to dictate to the people what they can and cannot ingest into their own bodies...

Kids can easily get pot, coke, crack, shrooms, acid, jib, ect, WAY MORE EASILY THEN ALCOHOL, like skadi said.
I know I got all that stuff in high school too easy. How? Because people deal it at your school. And alot of time adults sell it to kids.

You can't stop this kind of activity from happening. The more illegal it is, the more kids will want to find out why.

I bet if they legalised a bunch of kids wouldn't even think about smoking it.
But because it's forbidden they want to get out there and smoke it, and then they think it's cool.

I wish moonshiner's and drugs were legalised, it's not the governments job to take people's options away. That's not what government is for.
If you want to do it, do it...

One reason why it's illegal to is because if the government can't make money off of it, why should you? Gov't makes me sick.

They can legalize #ty foods like mcdonald's where your prone to having clogged arteries and suffer a heart attack? Where's the logic in that?
What about pharmaceutals, people get hooked on oxycotin and other pain killers. These two things make people lazy, not care, and they become a drain on society.

Drugs on the other hand, at least from my experience, makes you want to do things, you think alot clearer, you get many ideas, you can connect with something bigger then you... Sure it's a trip, but i'd rather eat a shroom then eat a big mac.

Think of all the entrepreneur's that arose from people using coc aine and other drugs. So many known philosopher's used to mdma, phyciatrists used to prescibe it, coke was in coca cola.

I'm done.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join