It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why dont we have a Numerology forum?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I mean really why not? Numerology is fascinating! Im not just talking about how big things seem to happen on certain dates. Personally I love doing charts for people

And for anyone who thinks its stupid, well, Pythagoras didnt think so!

Pythagoras

Pythagoras was a Greek philosopher, born on the island of Samos. We can date his life back to between 580-520 BC As a young man he moved to the Greek city of Croton, where he developed a philosophical and religious school which made many outstanding contributions to mathematics, astrology, and music. Here Pythagoras was a very active teacher of his time. He invented an 8-string lyre, taught astrology, music, mathematics, and more. Pythagoras and his students believed that everything was related to mathematics, and felt that everything could be predicted and measured in rhythmic cycles. The Pythagoreans went as far as to explain numbers and their properties by means of dots arranged in certain figures or patterns. Pythagoras believed that the letters in the alphabet corresponded to certain numbers. From this theory he developed his own form of numerology and was able to determine the personality aspects of an individual based on her/his name. He even went as far to change his name to experience different aspects. He developed a wheel of letters and numbers that encircled a globe. By using the numbers of an individual's name it was possible to predict future events with his globe.

And dont we all remember learning the pythagorean theorem in geometry lol? The scientific community accepts his pythagorean theorem and allows it to be taught in schools but, as usual with science, the spiritual side gets snuffed
Pythagorean theorem

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I would have thought that it fall in to the dreams and predictions forum
by the nature of what it is.

By using the numbers of an individual's name it was possible to predict future events with his globe.

edit on 22-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by strawberry91

Interesting, thankyou.
I'd never heard of all that before, just his mathematical theories etc.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I am so intrigued by numerology - I know a little bit but nowhere near as much as I would like. it makes sense that numerology would have a strong basis in our world and others as maths is the pure language i think science says .. I am not to hot with maths so perhaps thats why lol

I just would like to know who made up the explanations for the numbers - for example - I am an 11 in i think life numbers and the descriptions fit me to a certain extent but who made these descriptions -

BTW this is a genuine question - not mocking or anything I would really like to no - I will be keeping a close eye on this thread!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Surely any known future becomes the past ?
or
When I recall a stored memory I am retrieving old data.
Edit:
Should add since I was abstract, is numerology useful when
predicting a future pattern or event ?

edit on 22-5-2011 by JustAround because: Forgot numbers I cant even use words correctly.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
i dont see why not its sounds just as far fetched as some of boards here.

just looking at wiki and it wounds so speculative to me.

Number definitions

There are no set definitions for the meaning of specific digits. Common examples include:[6]

1. Individual. Aggressor. Yang.
2. Balance. Union. Receptive. Yin.
3. Communication/interaction. Neutrality.
4. Creation.
5. Action. Restlessness.
6. Reaction/flux. Responsibility.
7. Thought/consciousness.
8. Power/sacrifice.
9. Highest level of change.

edit on 22-5-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by addicted2011

The modern interpretations can vary, as people often change it to suit their ideals and system
en.wikipedia.org...

Modern numerology often contains aspects of a variety of ancient cultures and teachers, including Babylonia, Pythagoras and his followers (Greece, 6th century B.C.), astrological philosophy from Hellenistic Alexandria, early Christian mysticism, early Gnostics, the Hebrew system of the Kabbalah, The Indian Vedas, the Chinese "Circle of the Dead", Egyptian "Book of the Masters of the Secret House" (Ritual of the Dead).

And as a matter of disclosure, im not against it as a system, just the validity of having its own forum.
edit on 22-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

thanks for that I will read into that when I have a free five mins xx

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I have studies numerology for over 10 years.
Whilst it can be used to some extent to predict future events in a persons life it is more useful in determining character traits.
Alot can be said about a persons birth date and even after so long I still find it a facinting subject.
I always thought it should be taught at school maybe in helping people learn maths.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
We do, it's called the hoax forum...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo

That sums it up nicely.

Astrology is hoax in and of itself. It's for entertainment purposes only, not real. The constellations shift every 2000 years due to Earth's wobbling on its axis. Thus, when astrology was "conceived" around 2000 years ago, the signs were different than what they are today. This is taught in any basic astronomy class.

As far as numerology, it is also for entertainment purposes only. Anyone can manipulate numbers to their liking to "predict" or come up with any solution they see fit. The actual creation of "predictions" through the deliberate manipulation of numbers is a created hoax.

And not one single prediction that has been posted on ATS has come to pass yet. So, there's no need for yet another forum for false predictions and thus more hoaxes.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo

Im sorry you and bonez feel that way lol. I mean we are all entitled to our own opinions. Personally I dont believe the world or the universe is a random mess of things but thats just me
sadly many in this material world could care less about the mysteries of life

I think somebody got their buns in a knot because they think Im talking about predictions? Those who think this dont know much about numerology. So do yourself a favor and EDUCATE YOURSELF

Personally I think Pythagoras was a bit smarter and wiser than some posters on ATS...just sayin!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Aussie_Rock

exactly many people automatically think "predictions" when they hear the word numerology but thats completely missing what its about

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

It requires a certain amount of faith I know lol, just like everything else from our past that has been buried and ridiculed for the last 2000 or so years

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by addicted2011
BTW this is a genuine question - not mocking or anything I would really like to no - I will be keeping a close eye on this thread!

thank you Im glad someone thinks the same! I love numerology you just have to brush off the prediction stigma

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by manontrial

I had never heard of his numerology system until last year, I was like wow so they think this guy is crazy when it come to this theory, but they think his other one is okay? Sounds like rigid minded science scrubbing anything spiritual, of course

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
With there being a prediction forum (not my favorite) I would be all for a numerology/astrology forum.

I know many members can contribute to it and I know I could. I have studied both for more than 10 yrs and they are fascinating! People who put it down don't understand the vastness of either. When studied in depth and done properly it is really eye opening..well for me it was.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yes! Thank you a numerology/astrology forum would be wonderful. And its so hard to find a good active unbiased numerology forum and I think ATS would be a great place for it.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by strawberry91
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yes! Thank you a numerology/astrology forum would be wonderful. And its so hard to find a good active unbiased numerology forum and I think ATS would be a great place for it.

Agreed! There are some really good numerologist and astrologist on this site too.

Numerology is so interesting to me. It's funny how all my numbers without even knowing it are my personal favorite numbers. I am highly attached to prime numbers lol

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Im sorry you and bonez feel that way

Let's try this route:

Numerology and numerological divination by systems such as isopsephy were popular among early mathematicians, such as Pythagoras, but are no longer considered part of mathematics and are regarded as pseudomathematics by modern scientists.
Wiki

It was considered mathematics back then. But as we get smarter and more evolved, it is no longer accepted.

It requires a certain amount of faith

There are more than plenty of people that don't believe in faith. I personally believe in facts and science. Numerology is neither factual nor scientific.

My two pennies worth.

edit on 22-5-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join