It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clear picture of rainbow clouds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
What does this mean?

I was browsing reddit and came across this picture. I think I read here on ATS somewhere that means HARP is involved.

Just curious on some members opinions I have personally never seen anything like this ever in my life.

It is top right

i.imgur.com...

edit on 21-5-2011 by Crumbles because: forgot to put picture.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Wow they are beautiful, unfortunately there is nothing there. But, I see these quite often in my area in PA.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
That's pretty cool looking. Almost like oil & water in the sky.

Does BP do aerial drilling now?

Interesting sun dog though. I see them all the time where I live. Not quite so "fluid" looking but still similar.
edit on 21-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalthinking

sorry check it out now I hit enter when i meant to hit TAB

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
It means ICE Crystals. Light being scattered IE: A Rainbow

ROY G BIV

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The green and purple colors to me suggests its polarized light.
might be the filtering built into the lens and the scattering/refracting of the clouds causing the light to polarize.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Wow that one is bad ass. I haven't seen one that bright. Found this explanation of them "It's due to those high, wispy clouds that are around today. Those clouds are made of tiny ice crystals, and if the cloud is at the right angle to the sun, the crystals will refract the sunlight (much like a prism) into the colors of the rainbow." source

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalthinking

well that helps thank you. Just never seen it before so I really was not sure.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Crumbles

Beautiful pic! Some people think they are related to earthquakes, but I have seen them before, and never experienced an earthquake....so it is probably just coincidence.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It's called an "iridescent cloud." I see this all the time. Check out this site, it describes a bunch of atmospheric phenomenon: www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Here are some I took from my yard last year, hope I do the links right...

edit on 23-5-2011 by SaberTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Its called Iridescence, it has nothing to do with HAARP like most weather phenomenen people dont understand.

Its caused when ice crystals or water droplets of the same size diffract sunlight as the cloud is evolving. Its more common that people actually realise.

www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by logicalthinking
Wow that one is bad ass. I haven't seen one that bright. Found this explanation of them "It's due to those high, wispy clouds that are around today. Those clouds are made of tiny ice crystals, and if the cloud is at the right angle to the sun, the crystals will refract the sunlight (much like a prism) into the colors of the rainbow." source

The "rainbow cloud" phenomena being talked about and certainly shown in the photographs on that website shouldn't be confused with cloud iridescence which is what we are seeing in the OP's photograph.

The photographs in the website above are all of arcs such as the circumhorizon arc, and possibly some slightly less common arcs. There's even one shot there that looks a little like a sundog (parhelia), but it's hard to tell since the shot is so tightly cropped.

Cloud iridescence is actually very common, but large swathes of bright iridescence like that shown in the photograph the OP posted are less frequently seen. Generally iridescence can be see in the fringes of cloud, when the sun goes behind a cloud of the right type, but the colors are usually subtle. On rare occasions where the ice crystals that make up a cloud are very uniform in size/shape/orientation, the colors and patterns become much more intense.

top topics

join