It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mona Lisa's Body Exhumed For Portrait Comparison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
With modern face modelling techniques this just might finally put the old arguement to bed.
Is the Mona Lisa really Lisa Gherardini Del Giocondo or just Leonardo in drag.

Just wondering how accurate this will really tell. Most model reconstructions are made from just the skull, no real previous models or pictures to influence how the model maker would think how the end product should look.
In this case just about everyone has at some time or other seen an image of the Mona Lisa. So is it possible with this image in the model maker's mind, that it might influence how the product would look, considering there is a possibility that it might not really be the Mona Lisa's true skull.

The end results will be interesting to see.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/708c8a140d0d.jpg[/atsimg]
Is this the skull of the Mona Lisa? Bones found at site of alleged models burial.

www.archaeologydaily.com...

The secret behind the famously enigmatic smile of the Mona Lisa, the world's most famous painting, could soon be solved.
Archaeologists on a dig in Italy claim to have discovered the skull of the woman who posed for Leonardo's da Vinci's masterpiece.
The excavation team revealed over the weekend that it had found a crypt after a two-week search at an abandoned convent in Florence.
But the grave beneath St. Ursula convent, believed to be the final resting place of Lisa Gherardini Del Giocondo, has now yielded a female-sized skull.
The merchant's wife is widely believed to have been the life model for da Vinci's best-known work.
Officials say the skull was found five feet under the convent's original floor along with other fragments of human ribs and vertebrae.
Now scientists will compare the DNA in the bones with the remains of the model's two children who were buried nearby in an attempt to authenticate the find.
If scientists can confirm the skull belongs to the model, forensic artists will then attempt to reconstruct her face to see how it compares to the 500-year-old version painted by da Vinci - and perhaps solve the riddle of the Mona Lisa's enigmatic smile in the process.
Archeologist Silvano Vinceti, who is in charge of the dig, explained: 'We don't know yet if the bones belong to one single skeleton or more than one.
'But this confirms our hypothesis that in St.Ursula convent there are still human bones and we cannot exclude that among them there are bones belonging to Lisa Gherardini.
The initial discovery - made using ground penetrating radar and ancient maps and documents - came after a foot of modern concrete was removed and unearthed a layer of ancient, 90-centimeter wide bricks.
Professor Vinceti said of the first discovery: 'This is a very exciting development and the find is consistent with our records and our preliminary research.
'The crypt we have found is the one that was mentioned in church records from 1495 and was reached via a grate and then a staircase.
'We also know from those records that in 1625 there was a second crypt and these are the ones we have found.'
Present on the dig is Natalia Gucciardini Strozzi, who is related to Lisa Gherardini and who is also a close friend of Prince Charles and former Prime Minister Tony Blair.
She said: 'It was so emotional being here - I didn't think I would get so emotional. I am certain that this is the final resting place of Lisa Gherardini.
Lisa Gheradini, who died in 1542, was the wife of a rich silk merchant named Francesco del Giocondo. In Italy the Mona Lisa is known as La Gioconda.
Most modern historians agree that the lady depicted in the Mona Lisa was Lisa del Giocondo, who became a nun after her husband's death. She died in the convent on July 15, 1542, aged 63.
The couple were married in 1495 when the bride was 16 and the groom 35 and it has been suggested that the da Vinci was commissioned the portrait to mark her pregnancy.
It is not the first time that Professor Vinceti has used such techniques in his work - last year similar methods were used to locate and identify the remains of Caravaggio, another Renaissance master.
Last year in a Dan Brown-style mystery professor Vincenti also claimed that a hidden message could be seen in the eyes of the Mona Lisa after examining them with a high powered magnifying glass.
The Mona Lisa is an oil on panel painting owned by the French government and the image is so widely recognised and caricatured that it is considered the most famous painting in the world.
Da Vinci started to paint it in 1503 or 1504 and finished it in 1519, shortly before his death, and after he had moved to France.

edit on 21-5-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Why can't they just let that lady rest in peace?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Honestly this is on mystery I hope stays a mystery - or I wish would.

There's something about her smile that defies getting the 'rest of the story'...

Leave her be!!!

peace

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Meh, she doesnt care. Shes dead.

Although I thinksits silly to exhume someone to identify the subject of a painting, it certainly isnt bothering the lady in question.
edit on 21-5-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
How does figuring out who it ay have been in the portrait solve the mystery of the smile? I would have thought it could have been anyone in the painting and the smile would be just as mysterious.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Another mystery is why did it take 15-16 year to finish?

Da Vinci started to paint it in 1503 or 1504 and finished it in 1519,

Rather slow considering Michelangelo painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in just 4 years.

en.wikipedia.org...

Michelangelo took the commission to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, which took approximately four years to complete (1508–1512).

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Thats just plain and simply, wrong. Let sleeping dogs lie, Thats what i say.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolvo

Historians must be running out of project to do, so they make up new things so they can still claim their weekly wages.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolvo
Let sleeping dogs lie, Thats what i say.

Well, she isnt a dog. What does folk wisdom say about dead humans?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Yeah, for what's it worth, I don't think it's important enough to desecrate someone's gravesite.

For a painting? Someone's curiosity got the best of them, and not in a good way. Of course "follow the money", I wonder if there is any to be had in this scenario? hm.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Yeah, for what's it worth, I don't think it's important enough to desecrate someone's gravesite.

For a painting? Someone's curiosity got the best of them, and not in a good way. Of course "follow the money", I wonder if there is any to be had in this scenario? hm.

Yes don't forget the rights to the documentary, the book & TV appearences, museum/art gallery appearences, plus talks at universities & art colleges.

Big money when you add it all up.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Well I think that saying is all about the moral of itself. Which is obviously, dont touch, dont disturb

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
So, not only will they dig her up but her two children, as well to authenticate the skull is her's through DNA? And, all this just to find out if she was the model for Mona Lisa. Seems, like a lot of work just to be able to say that finally we know who Mona Lisa was and maybe grab a headline for a day in the news, because it's not like it will affect the painting at all,....now if they discovered Leonardo didn't even paint it, that would actually have some impact. I say just let her bones rest. Peace be with you.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
So if it is not her, will they next drag up old Leonardo and simulate his skull with a wig on it just to see if he was in drag?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by faceofcydonia

Thats what I heard and read as well, that the whole portrait is something Leonardo did of himself as if he were born a female, hence why the little smile is there because the Mona Lisa is not a actual person and just a representation of Leonardo in drag as you put it.

Though I don't think they really got the right to be digging people out of there graves, if they get to the bottom of this whole little conspiracy then it would finally put a lid on it, and answer if the Mona Lisa was a actual person or another of Leonardo da Vinci's weird projects that he did for whatever reason.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This is such a waste of money and resources. There are much better things to do doing than this that is for sure.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Archaeology is just legal grave-robbing. Leave the dead alone.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Yeah, thats messed up, exhuming her grave to compare detail? thats insane..what are they gunna comapre together, her famous prtroit and skull bone structure??? that dosnt prove anything! anyones facial structure can match a celebretys, let alone yuors and mine side by side, overimposeed*
i agree..sounds like legal grade robbing. let her rest in peace*
In my local paper yesterday, their was an article. around 1880;s, thier was a homeless man trafeling in a 364 mile cirlce, through southwestern CT, poughkepsiee NY, dressed in makeshift leather. he was known as 'leatherman'. he didnt talk or speak, but would grunt n wait outside peoples houses at the door who fed him. he made his actual cloths out of leather boot straps he stiched together. well, his grave is going to exhumed soon, so learn a little more about him, then re buirry him in another section of the cemetary. he was found dead march 24, 1888. local surviving family members told int he newspaper, acounts of theirs grandmothers, great grandmothers, feeding him..some north in my city. he had cancer of the jaw, the lcoal mortician printed in the paper at the time( he did have news celebrity back then) and the coroner said he most liekly died of blood poisoning from the cancer. geesh! let him rest in peace!

new topics

top topics

join