It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nitwit hits Twitter with writ

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Nitwit hits Twitter with writ

www.thesun.co.uk

A SOCCER star who won an injunction to hide his affair with Big Brother's Imogen Thomas is crazily suing Twitter.

The married Premier League idol, who must remain anonymous, had his name linked to the injunction by a user of the social networking site.

The ace is taking unprecedented High Court action against the US-based service and "persons unknown responsible for the publication of information on the Twitter accounts". His ground-breaking move is the first legal bid to extend the powers of Britain's creeping privacy laws to the internet.

Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thesun.co.uk

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Now this is just plain crazy....this can only get worse for him as I am sure that now someone in parliament will name and shame him for trying to gag the world!
We have a few MP's who are still all for freedom of speech, in the same paper Lib Dem John Hemming talks about not being halted by the judiciary, who in a thinly veiled threat said MP'S should not be talking about anyone involved in a superinjunction.
What do you think his chances are of successfully suing Twitter?
imo I think he has lost the plot!

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackieO
... now someone in parliament will name and shame him for trying to gag the world!

Hard to gag the world.
I just did a quick google search and found the identity of this fellow, and I dont even live in the UK, follow that football, or have ever heard of this Imogen woman or the footballer.
So... anyone who wants to know would already know by now. Even without twitter.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
As someone on the website twittered, unless its for matters of national security or for judicial reasons. Anyone having extramartial affairs is 'free game.'
They don't have the right to claim under any privacy law given the fact they made that choice personally and should face the consequences as a result, just as if any other person would be expected to do aswell. Monetary stature or place in authority has no relevance in court as this just goes to show how biased the system has become.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I am aware that anyone can find out the name of this footballer on the internet, what I was reporting was my disbelief that he had served a writ on Twitter.

If this is unprecedented and the first of its kind don't you think it will be interesting to follow?
I for one am going to be keeping a close eye on what happens here as I have no wish to see those with money given the power to gag the media
edit on 21-5-2011 by JackieO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
i did see this happening on twitter, and the whole thing about "super injunctions" here in the UK is just insane.
just because one guy cant keep his trousers on, he decides he is so important that he can just hush it up...
in this case though, it has ended up having the opposite effect and totally backfired on him.
super injunctions should be ended here, and all those who have taken them out for any reason should be named and shamed. a lot of these people are role models for the kids, and everyone should be made aware that they are not whiter than white.
why the hell should they be able to be unfaithful (or whatever it is they have done wrong) and then think that they can just take out a super injunction to protect their career and status.
look what happened to tiger woods over in america... why should famous british names be protected from this happening.
all a load of BS as far as i am concerned.
bryan biggs is a total big headed a** that should not be protected.
he is taking twitter to court for breaking the super injunction, but it is the twitter users that are the offenders, not twiter themselves. if he wins this case, then it means that all forums and social media are going to have to watch every post that gets made, which would be the start of major censoring, and the end of free speech.
whats he going to do next? take the thousands of twitter users to court as well? that would be a fun day, with thousands of people needing to squeeze into 1 tiny court room to be prosecuted.
he should just let it drop, and accept that he got caught out.

p.s. names have been changed to protect the guilty
edit on 21-5-2011 by djyorkie because: added ps

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
If you dont want people to know youve been sleeping around. Dont sleep around. Or find a partner who is interested in an open relationship, then its all gravy.

Will him taking action against the people naming him incriminate him more and advertise the fact hes a scumbag? Would love it if he named himself accidentaly.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
People should get their facts straight, He is not "SUING" twitter, he has taken legal action to force twitter to disclose the details of the people who used twitter to release the details and his name on twitter. If those people were from the UK then he can sue those people.

I am really against super injunctions, because they can be used by corporations to cover up the bad things they do, and they have done in the past. But All this fuss over a footballer who slept with a 2 bit reality TV "Star" used in a very loose term, is stupid, people should be treated fairly and all have the same ability, but the minute someone is a star the affair gets blown out of proportion, look at the John Terry affair, it was ludicrous

Its the presses obsession with gossip while completely avoiding the real news that creates stupid laws like this, it would be a story that enabled the woman involved to sell her story, and she cant and that is why she is angry about it, open their legs and expect to get a £100,000 deal for the story which is nothing better than prostitution.

The super injunctions are bad, but the media and the idiots who care about such banal gossip are really to blame for there need

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
What a sap. He can't sue everyone who mentions his name can he? Obviously he tried to keep it from his misses, surely she must know by now anyway. i had no clue who it was, just went on Twitter and saw plenty of messages about him and Imogen. The injunction is pointless now, it's all over twitter for god sake. The injunction is a joke...so is the footballer in question.
edit on 21-5-2011 by Taffygirl because: wanted to.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I can't believe that Bryan Spriggs is suing Twitter.... what a moron.

All this super injunction/ injunction nonsense has just become ridiculous now.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
In twitter terms 'if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.'

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
And what about his right to privacy?
Just because he is in the publics eye, doesn't mean he isn't allowed a private life with the expectation that is remains private.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
He's made a complete pillock of himself by taking legal action against Twitter because he's told the world who he is.
It's all about image and prestige that these sports types and "entertainer" types want to portray. They are conmen acting in a nice family manner for the cameras when it suits them. This footballer/soccer player cretin is even pictured in todays Daily Mail with his wife.

Footballers wages are astronomical plus they get sponsorship deals which means they have to do promotions usually when kids are about and that's what I disagree with. Said footballers are saying one thing to the kids while preaching another. Woods is another example and there are probably loads more in all sports.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Forbes magazine in America have named the individual, with a picture of him too. The columnists even highlighted references to United States law; thus making his case more difficult. Twitter are refusing to hand over private data, so the 'man in question' would be suicidal to proceed through a California court.

He is not going to overturn the US Constitution and the America press despise foreigners, who interfere with their constitutional law.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Only in the UK could this happen

Where the wants or over paid over sexed celebs and footballers cause a crisis in constitution where the high court can actively gag the houses of government.

Sigh! last one to leave, please turn off the light!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
social network and the speed of the information on the internet is too quick for the superinjuctions.

By the time they realise it is on the internet, it has been seen by tens of thousands of people, maybe more.

Its funny that only when i heard about the super injuctions, did i google search. was not interested until i was told i could not know

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

News of the footballer's decision to take action emerged just hours after the Lord Chief Justice declared that social media needed to be brought under control.

I couldn't care less about who this footballer is
this is what I don't like..... why do they want to bring social media under control?
Are the powers scared of what the little people are finding out?
We were easier to control when all we had was mainstream news to tell us what was happening in the world
I reckon they will have a hard time trying to bring in more privacy laws now, there are too many little people who have had their eyes well and truly opened

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I met him man once and thought he was one of the only genuine people in football, an idol to many here in Wales, just shows how much football has changed.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MoneyRain

I think it shows how little man has changed lol!
imo having an affair doesn't necessarily mean you are a bad person,
who are we to judge... maybe they have an agreement that it is ok for extra marital shennanigans as long as its kept away from their children
none of us know what goes on behind closed doors in someone elses marriage

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
His activities and those of the celeb chef and the two actors engaged in an affair are wrong and should be outed.

The others who were mentioned were doing nothing wrong but enjoying things in their own private life so why should they be dragged into it and "named and shamed"?

I abhor Twitter anyway, it's just texting in public and as pointless as it sounds but if this moron thinks he can gag that site and its users, he's sorely mistaken and as out of touch as most other footballers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join