It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish Rite / Shrine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I am trying to discover more about my grandfather's "career" in Masonry and the SR, but I have a couple of questions. I contacted the Grand Lodge of Oklahoma and they told me that he recieved the degrees (blue Lodge) in '46, that he never held an office, and that he was suspended in 1970 for non payment of dues. I asked if they knew what lodge he joined when he moved to Arkansas, and they said they didn't show that he ever joined another lodge.

So my question is this: If he was no longer an active member of his lodge in Oklahoma, but he still paid his dues through the mail or whatever even though he didn't attend any meetings, he could still be an active member of the Scottish Rite and of the Shrine, couldn't he? I mean, once you recieve your Blue degrees is there anything that says you must attend meetings, or are you just "in good standing" as long as you pay your dues? Could he have just gone to lodge meetings as a guest the whole time while remaining an official member of his original lodge?

I know he was active (he had recieved the 32 degree) in the SR and was a Shriner once he moved, but it appears that he never joined another Blue lodge. Is it kind of a "Once a Master Mason, always a Master Mason" type thing? I know if you aren't a MM in good standing you can't be a member of any of the appendant bodies, correct?

How can I find out what Valley he belonged to, or what Shrine he was a member of? I tried to search but all I could come up with was a Temple about 75 miles from me, but he didn't live in that area. I haven't been able to find a Grand Lodge(Valley?) of Arkansas. Is there such a thing, or do all the Valleys fall under the jurisdiction of the Supreme Council?

Same question in regard to the Shrine.

[edit on 8/3/04 by The Axeman]

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
So my question is this: If he was no longer an active member of his lodge in Oklahoma, but he still paid his dues through the mail or whatever even though he didn't attend any meetings, he could still be an active member of the Scottish Rite and of the Shrine, couldn't he? I mean, once you recieve your Blue degrees is there anything that says you must attend meetings, or are you just "in good standing" as long as you pay your dues? Could he have just gone to lodge meetings as a guest the whole time while remaining an official member of his original lodge?

As long as he was current in his dues, he would have remained a Master Mason in good standing, and his name would still have been current on the rolls. When a member pays his dues, the Secretary, who acts as the Lodge accountant, will record payment in the Lodge's books, and issue a dues receipt card to the Brother who has paid.

I know he was active (he had recieved the 32 degree) in the SR and was a Shriner once he moved, but it appears that he never joined another Blue lodge. Is it kind of a "Once a Master Mason, always a Master Mason" type thing? I know if you aren't a MM in good standing you can't be a member of any of the appendant bodies, correct?

As long as he was dues current, he was in good standing. Some members also purchase life memberships.

How can I find out what Valley he belonged to, or what Shrine he was a member of? I tried to search but all I could come up with was a Temple about 75 miles from me, but he didn't live in that area. I haven't been able to find a Grand Lodge(Valley?) of Arkansas. Is there such a thing, or do all the Valleys fall under the jurisdiction of the Supreme Council?
Same question in regard to the Shrine.

The Supreme Council is the grand body of Scottish Rite Valleys, and the Imperial Council of the Shrine is the grand body of Shriners Temples. You can email the closest Temple or Valley to see if they have records.

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

The Supreme Council is the grand body of Scottish Rite Valleys, and the Imperial Council of the Shrine is the grand body of Shriners Temples. You can email the closest Temple or Valley to see if they have records.

Fiat Lvx.

heheh that's what I thought, but there is one thing - I live in ARKANSAS!!! We're hillbillies around here! I haven't been able to find email addresses! All the info I have gotten so far has been over the phone.

*with a southern drawl*Us country folks is behind the times, I reckon.

Thanks for the info ML I will keep diggin'.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   

As long as he was dues current, he was in good standing. Some members also purchase life memberships.

Fiat Lvx.

Is this true for all Masonic bodies? If so, is it a set amount or does it vary from state to state?

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman

Is this true for all Masonic bodies? If so, is it a set amount or does it vary from state to state?

It is universally true...the payment of dues is what makes a member in good standing. All Masonic bodies also offer life memberships for a one-time fee.

The amount of dues is set by each Lodge, Chapter, Valley, Council, Commandery, Shrine Temple, etc. in their own individual by-laws. I belong to 2 different Blue Lodges, both of which charge $30 per year, but another neighboring Lodge may charge $25 or $50, depending entirely on that Lodge's needs, and what its membership has approved.

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

It is universally true...the payment of dues is what makes a member in good standing. All Masonic bodies also offer life memberships for a one-time fee.

The amount of dues is set by each Lodge, Chapter, Valley, Council, Commandery, Shrine Temple, etc. in their own individual by-laws. I belong to 2 different Blue Lodges, both of which charge $30 per year, but another neighboring Lodge may charge $25 or $50, depending entirely on that Lodge's needs, and what its membership has approved.

Fiat Lvx.

I'm sorry, I meant the lifetime mebership fee. Is it a set amount?

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   

All Masonic bodies also offer life memberships for a one-time fee.

This isn't always true up here, but it seems like we ask for more money up here than you do down there. For example, the average yearly dues for Craft Lodge around my city is about $100 CDN, which I think must be something like $75 US. Lodges up here elect people honourary lifetime members, but buying a lifetime membership is rare-ish. I don't think my lodge offers one (although we do have reduced dues for people over 60 (IIRC)).

Just for comparison, SR Valley dues up here are a total of $75 a year ($25 per body) and my Royal Arch Chapter charges $40, IIRC. I believe my chapter of SRIA will charge me about $50 / a, but I could be wrong.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
ML explained this quite well for me via U2U. I trust he will not mind me posting it here for the benifit of all.

originally from Masonic Light

It varies, and depends on the Lodge's By-Laws as well as the Grand Lodge's Constitution. In my jurisdiction, we have what is called perpetual life membership. In a nutshell, it works like this:

You first determine your "age factor" according to an amendment in the Constitution. For example, if your age is between 21 and 29, your age factor is 25. You then multiply your age factor by your Lodge's annual dues. For example, if your Lodge's dues are $30 per year, you multiply it by 25, to get $750. You pay $750 to your Lodge Secretary, who submits it to the Grand Lodge, and he gives you a life membership card. The Grand Lodge then invests the $750, and pays your Lodge 25% interest on it every year, while the Lodge continues to pay per capita dues for you. When you die, the Lodge gets 75% interest per year, while the 25% is retained by Grand Lodge. Therefore it is perpetual, because your contribution helps fund your Lodge and Grand Lodge forever.

top topics

join