It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Israeli soldiers break the silence on military violations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Former Israeli soldiers break the silence on military violations

Testimonies posted on YouTube by campaign group describe routine harassment and humiliation of Palestinian civilians

Video testimonies by around two dozen ex-soldiers - some of whom are identifying themselves for the first time - will be posted on YouTube. The campaign by Breaking the Silence, an organisation of former soldiers committed to speaking out on military practices, launches with English subtitles on Monday.

Some of the former soldiers describe the "neighbour procedure", a term for the use of Palestinian civilians, often children, as human shields to protect soldiers from suspected booby traps or attacks by militants. The procedure was ruled illegal by Israel's high court in 2005.

Others speak of routine harassment of civilians at checkpoints, arbitrary intimidation and collective punishment.

Idan Barir, who served in the artillery corps, describes in his testimony how an officer forced Palestinian civilians to crawl in a "race" towards a checkpoint near Jenin in the West Bank during the 2000 olive harvest. Only the first three out of "teams" of eight were allowed to pass.

Another, Itamar Schwarz, says Palestinian homes were routinely ransacked in search operations. He describes the day of the World Cup final in 2002, when soldiers confined a Palestinian woman and child in the kitchen of their home for two hours while the unit watched the game in the middle of an operation.

Arnon Degani, who served in the Golani brigade, describes the distress of a young woman who tearfully pleaded to be allowed to pass through a Jenin checkpoint in order to sit an important exam. He gradually came to understand, he says, that the Israeli army's intention was "to enforce tyranny on people who you know are regular civilians" and to "make it clear who's in control here".

"Part of the silence of Israeli society is to believe these are isolated and exceptional incidents. But these are the most routine, day-to-day, banal stories," said Yehuda Shaul, of Breaking the Silence.

He said his army experience was "like a scar, I carry it with me. We have to talk about it, to put it out to the world. Only then can a society deal with the moral price."

The Israeli Defence Forces said: "The allegations made by Breaking the Silence are unfamiliar to us. The organisation has been informed, on numerous occasions, of the option of filing specific complaints including personal testimonies and other evidence through the appropriate channels. This is to ensure that their allegations are subjected to a thorough and proper legal investigation. To date the organisation has refused to provide substantiated allegations, making it impossible to properly examine their claims."

The Guardian Article

Here it is. It's not "if" anymore. It's a fact that this things are routine procedures for Israeli soldiers.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Here it is. It's not "if" anymore. It's a fact that this things are routine procedures for Israeli soldiers.

Yup, not all though, but it's not these tiny isolated incidents that we are supposed to believe they are. But don't worry, you'll soon find out that you are an antisemite for posting this article. You will also find out that, in fact, all these former IDF soldiers are lying. The Palestinians, the ones who don't exist because there never was a palestine, just shoot themselves in the heads them film it for propaganda purposes.

i gave up sharing this type of information here as it always gets the same response, I wish you the best of luck
edit on 17-5-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I don't even bother with people that use any kind of labels such as "anti-semite". They are a lost cause.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It takes guts to stand up and do the right thing especially if the public don't really know what is happening. Good luck with speaking out I suspect the majority of the public will be supportive of the soldiers. It the only way to get change started so that things can improve.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Good post OP, and way to go "Breaking the Silence".

I'm having trouble finding any of the articles I'm thinking of but research the AP's censoring of Israeli war crimes and the statistics between Palestinian/Israeli casualties over the last few years.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Good on them IDF soldiers,that takes guts..
It shows at least some have morals..
I hope it spreads.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Those IDF soldiers are braver than any decorated military brass

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

join