It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sewage Plants In Japan Perplexed Over How To Dispose Of Highly Radioactive Sludge.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
High levels of Cesium have been detected in sewer sludge all throughout surrounding
Prefectures in Japan.

And as if that does not scare you and you think your safe because you dont live in Japan,
then listen to this!

They are going to recycle it into other materials! Radioacitve concrete could be coming your way.

Remember the toxic drywall from China?

Officials may consider burning the sludge, or even worse; if its reading is of radioactivity levels is
under 1,000 becquerels per k it can be recycled into cement and other materials!

On May 1, the Fukushima Prefectural Government announced that 334,000 becquerels per kilogram of radioactive cesium was detected in molten slag after sludge was processed with high heat at a purification center in Koriyama, Fukushima Prefecture. The finding was followed by the detection of radioactive cesium in sludge at 15 other sewage plants in the prefecture, as well as at one sewage treatment facility in Tochigi Prefecture, one in Ibaraki Prefecture, three in Gunma Prefecture and one in Niigata Prefecture. The Kanagawa Prefectural Government announced on May 12 that cesium was detected in sludge at four sewage plants in the prefecture, while the Tokyo Metropolitan Government disclosed the same day that up to 24,000 becquerels of radioactivity was detected in sludge incineration ash at three sewage plants in the capital. mdn.mainichi.jp...

Serioisly folks, if this does not wake you up?

Yes, as evidence by my posts, my heart goes out to Japan.

Yet, I see so much apathy on the part of poeple in the media, they are ignoring this Nuclear Disaster
as its ongoing and its not over yet.

The Media silence on this is deafening!

edit on 17-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Shame on japan for causing unnecessary catastrophic devastation to the whole planet.What the hell were they thinking when they built these factories that produced radiation.Does anybody who builds these plants have any conscience?Am I supposed to feel bad for them?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I see they are trying to deal with the prob. so in some ways its good they found a way to reconstruct it. I would just make large concrete slabs and stack them elsewhere for non use. And imagine what is growing in the radioactive waste..

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by brindle

It isn't just japan. We have our own reactors in seismically active locations. I'd blame the corporations as much as anyone.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
And as if that does not scare you and you think your safe then listen to this,
they are going to recycle it into other materials! Radioacitve concrete could be coming your way.
News flash, concrete is already radioactive. They'll just make it more radioactive than it already is.

Radioactive Buildings?

Is there any truth to reports that concrete buildings are radioactive?
Yes, but it doesn't seem to justify any anxiety. All structures are somewhat radioactive, but masonry materials, including concrete and brick, show greater radioactivity than wood. The Royal Swedish Academy of Science recently completed one of the broadest studies of this problem ever undertaken. It found the greatest radioactivity in buildings of light concrete containing alum slate. The phenomenon has nothing to do, of course, with the atomic age. We've been using radioactive materials for shelter ever since the first man holed up in a cave. In modern structures minute amounts of radium and thorium in the building materials appear to be the main source of radioactivity. Science hasn't yet determined if this natural radioactivity is good or bad for people.
Wait, didn't I see someone pushing the viewpoint that radiation is good for us? Yes I did, but that's definitely the minority viewpoint. Most scientists think it's not good for us.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
I would just make large concrete slabs and stack them elsewhere for non use.

Yes, really they shoud make concrete and store it in the vicinity of the damaged plants.

However, this is not likely as I read through the article, what might be those other "materials"

And imagine what is growing in the radioactive waste..

It's enough to drive a person underground. Oh....they have that covered too!

new topics

top topics

join