It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alberta is on FIRE...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
4 locations in my province are on fire... Largest being Slave Lake; entire 1/3 of the city has been turned to ashes.

Eerie photos:
www.calgaryherald.com...

Also, 5 Oil Sands locations in the far north have also been evacuated. Prepare for gas to skyrocket, even more so. We are still paying 1.30$ a litre here, and we have the 2nd largest reserves in the world.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Great photos... terribly sad though. I'm in Calgary

It will be interesting to see how this plays out... Slave Lake was a town of approximately 7000 and if the pipelines shut down for a while... crude should climb before gas but we've been seeing crude slowly decline in price and I'm not seeing much market reaction to this news yet.

time will tell.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Crazy, Slave Lake looks devastated. In NB it's been raining for most of the last month. I hope they get those fires under control. Europe is extremely dry right now as well.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Damn, that's awful. Sorry for your loss Oh Canada! It looked it was a pretty little town. That fire must have been savage and fast for all those cars to have been caught up in it. What of the people? Did they make it out safely?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

The residents were given very short notice to evacuate. I haven't heard of any deaths or injuries in all honesty... but with any disaster of this proportion... chaos ensues, people are not fully accounted for... so we will see.

In total we have around 100 wildfires in Alberta and it is reported that 36 of them are "out of control"

This is why I laugh at the green washed... calling Alberta and Canada massive polluters... Alberta is bigger than California and Nevada put together. I've driven through Cali...It's like one endless city at times... here in Alberta you can drive for hours seeing only farm houses or no signs of civilization till the end of the horizon.

Alberta's population is only around 4 million people yet California is around 37 million... yet the media says our tar sands produce more pollution... LIES.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
From Calgary too... And so sad for those Slave Lakers! Most evacuees had to stay in shelters as far away as Edmonton for the night! And believe me, you don't want to go to Edmonton unless you absolutely have to!Hopefully they can get things under control soon! Godspeed firefighters!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GODF1ESHGreat photos... terribly sad though. I'm in Calgary

I'm in Calgary...

Originally posted by OrganicAnagram33
Crazy, Slave Lake looks devastated. In NB it's been raining for most of the last month.

I'm from NB tho...

=)

Originally posted by pajoly
Damn, that's awful. Sorry for your loss Oh Canada! It looked it was a pretty little town. That fire must have been savage and fast for all those cars to have been caught up in it. What of the people? Did they make it out safely?

ZERO casualities.
edit on 17-5-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
There is something going on...........

Big fires across Russia and Siberia too for the past couple of days.........

The area affected by wildfires raging in Siberia has expanded by 560 hectares to 1,500 hectares in the past twenty-four hours, the Emergencies Ministry reported on Sunday. "There are 106 hotbeds of wildfires on a total area of 1,492.6 hectares in Siberia," the ministry said. Firefighters have localized 52 wildfires on an area of 988 hectares in the past twenty-four hours. The cause of forest fires is the activity of local residents, the ministry said. "Overall, 2,300 people and 534 pieces of equipment have been involved in the fire-fighting effort in the past twenty-four hours," the ministry said. A large number of wildfires have also been registered in the Trans-Baikal Territory, the Krasnoyarsk Territory, the Republics of Tyva and Buryatia, the Tomsk and Irkutsk Regions, the ministry said. Wildfires devastated a number of regions in central Russia last summer, killing 62 people and leaving thousands homeless.

The world is changing ? drying out in some areas.? lets hope that the ATS thread about an increase in Wind speeds and velocities does not make this a whole lot worse !!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

PDUK
edit on 17-5-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: addition

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GODF1ESH
reply to post by CanadianDream420

It will be interesting to see how this plays out... Slave Lake was a town of approximately 7000 and if the pipelines shut down for a while... crude should climb before gas but we've been seeing crude slowly decline in price and I'm not seeing much market reaction to this news yet.

time will tell.

Some of the gas processing plants have also had to shut down, and they're hoping the fires will roll over them without too much damage.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

top topics

join