It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Republic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Hi ATS,
i was just thinking about the opinion of most Australians on the prospect of severing ties with the brits and becomming a republic.
i though i would post this today to see what ATS members think about an Australian Republic
good, bad or both?

Me personally, think its a great idea! sever all ties with the Brits and show them what we're really made of,
yes there is the ethical issue of our soldiers dying for the current flag, but most aussies know many people died underneath the Eureka Stockade flag aswell.

Feel free to add your opinions guys

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomSnake

Me personally, think its a great idea! sever all ties with the Brits and show them what we're really made of,

That's the statement that I don't get. Though I'm not an Aussie I don't see why the transformation from a constitutional monarchy into a Republic requires you to 'sever all ties with the Brits'. Australia and Britain are allies and have a shared history and a very similar culture. There's no reason for a hostile attitude in my opinion.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I don't see why not. I'm not a big fan of someone from the other side of the globe still having power. Australia doesn't "need" the Queen anymore at all. I say let them do with their country as they please.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

I think with "showing what we're made of" he kinda meant "show that we can stand by ourselves and manage". That's how I interpreted it anyway.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Swizzy

Spot on!
sorry i posted this in a hurry but you nailed it!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I live in the UK however but I was born in Switzerland so I'm not all too educated about what political ties the Queen still has with it's colonies.

I mean Australia obviously has it's own goverment and elections but I heard the Queen still has the final say IF she chose to? Is that correct?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swizzy
reply to post by lifeissacred

I think with "showing what we're made of" he kinda meant "show that we can stand by ourselves and manage". That's how I interpreted it anyway.

So, how would you equate this 'breakaway' with the Queen's ownership of Rio Tinto?
Nobody 'stands by themselves' these days, unfortunately. Everything is so interconnected.

Having said that, I would be in favour of this proposition as the hopefully New Zealand would follow.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Sorry about that. In that case I'd say good luck to you. I seriously doubt much would be different, your flag would likely change but I don't see much else being fundamentally altered. Historically we've always been close (culturally and as a large amount of Aussies have British ancestry etc) so I don't think Australia getting rid of the monarchy would make much difference to be honest.
edit on 15-5-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swizzy
I live in the UK however but I was born in Switzerland so I'm not all too educated about what political ties the Queen still has with it's colonies.

I mean Australia obviously has it's own goverment and elections but I heard the Queen still has the final say IF she chose to? Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct. The Prime Minister answers to the Governor-General and they answer to the Queen.

What I don't understand is how forming a republic and formally leaving the Commonwealth will benefit Australia. England and Australia are allies, and if anything, the formation of a republic could put strain on those ties.

I cannot recall the last time the Governor-General or the Queen has had to exercise their power over Australia.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Well maybe not completely isolate themselves but at least break away from the Monarchy as I think it's a very outdated system and has no place in todays world anymore.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SnedsDawg

I guess it would be more of a symbolic thing maybe? I think if I was Australian it would anoy me a little in the back of my mind that someone on the other side of the world still has total power, even if not excercised.

Kind of the feeling that the Queen is still watching your every step and can intervene at any time if she wanted. I don't think I'd like that.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Swizzy

Correct well not so much the Queen
The Govennor General i believe has the power to dismiss a PM
Not 100% sure
though it has happened before to Gough Whitlam

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I just read that Whitlam was PM until 1975, so it has been quite a while since the power has been used. I think it's safe to say its not really needed anymore.

The people of Australia are a much better judge of who should go/come into office as they actually live there. In the end if they need to remove someone in power they can do it just as well as the Governor general, maybe not as quick.
edit on 15-5-2011 by Swizzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnedsDawg
Yes, that's correct. The Prime Minister answers to the Governor-General and they answer to the Queen.

Actually NO. That used to be the case prior to the Australia act in 1986. Australia is fully independent. The Governor-General is no longer appointed by the Queen.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Leave things as they are. I would not trust the muppets in our parlement to change a thing to the benefit of the Australian public. What would you want our flag changed to one based on Chinas flag or one based on some militant county from the middle east.

We know who we are, Aussies have always had back bone, except when it comes to taking on our corrupt government and its officials. Are you saying you have a crises in your self, prehaps. No change here in my opinion.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Im an Aussie but living in Malaysia so havent been keeping up with local news from home, has this issue come up again in the MSM?

I personally couldnt care either way, I dont really see the need to show our independence or defiance, The monarchy is merely a figure head even in the UK so to say they have any say or direct influence over us or our system is false (maybe through financial ties they have some influence but so do many others therefore not relevant that its the monarchy)

I remember the last time we had a refferendum on the issue, it would have won but for the fact we wouldnt have been able to choose our own leader, he/she would have been picked by our politicians and we basically told them to Feck off.

2 reasons I would say leave it as it is are

1) to much time and money to change everything with royal in the title RAAF, RSPCA etc etc
2)If it aint broke dont fix it

Maybe next time we feel the need to seriously shake up our system we should re-explore the issue but till then more hassle than its worth for some token show of "standing on our own 2 feet"

join