It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Sony Up to there old Root Kit tricks again?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I've got some time off today and decided to go pick up the newly released Green Hornet video. It looks cool so I pop it into the lap top and my Kaspersky Anti-Virus software starts doing a root kit scan. Now last time this happened was several years ago when Sony and Microsoft butted heads for this root kit problem. The DVD won't run, so I take it out and guess what, it's a Sony!
Anybody else have problems with the Green Hornet or other current Sony productions?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I'm obviously not an expert, but could it have run that scan because it's a new video and maybe there's a problem with the disc? Sorry for your troubles, just trying to help.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoeDaShom
I'm obviously not an expert, but could it have run that scan because it's a new video and maybe there's a problem with the disc? Sorry for your troubles, just trying to help.

Thanks, but it ran "The American" just fine (no scan). I think Sony is up to their old tricks again.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
sony will always be up to their shady little tricks..
just like microsoft.

Not sure if thats what you're experiencing..
but you could always save yourself some dough and just watch this stuff online,
rather than paying billionaires for something you'll watch once, maybe twice.
It's also more enviro. friendly...

So my advice is stop buying this crap and use the internet to watch what you want while you still can.

;P

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
i remember that little rootkit fiasco. nasty stuff especially since no good way to uninstall it when first released without messing up drivers for IDE/SATA and any physical or removal media causing the devices not to e recognized or even windows boot up failure.

Do you have any programs that may cause any issues with potential anti-piracy methods? i use anydvd which decrypts most DVD protections so i can copy them and occasionally have problems with the very latest dvd releases.. which means whatever company released the movie upped their anti-piracy. another potential software conflict could be CD emulation software like daemon=tools or alcohol120%.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Why people actualy go out and buy stuff like movies truly puzzles me.

You buy it - you take it home. you're forced to watch an un-skippable 3minute "Piracy is BAD!!" Video (diddnt yo just buy it? Why are you watching that ??? Stumps me too)

Some companies even have the nerve to tack on to the end of the anti-piracy Skit, 3-5 "Previews" for other movies. Sometimes Skippable - The ones that are not you tend to watch once then put it under the bed so you dont have to put yourself thru that again.

Then theres the portability problem! More copy protection that's not compatable with you're PC (Or is simply designed NOT to play on a PC - DVD player only)

all this for going to the shop, and forking out $39.95 for the new release DVD/Blue Ray.

I believe that the illigeal type will play on anything once you've burnt it to CD. When you pop it in you're Drive it instantly brings up the Title menu.

I actualy kind of think it's funny that the people buying DVD's and Blu Ray allow themselves to put up with that crap. It can be looked at as a form of Conditioning as well. Do the right thing - Still get punished outlook.

Sony is a Dirty corporation. They deliberately gave Anonymous a bad name. Anon only attacked them for 1day. They stopped beacuse of the Gamer's outcry. Sony kept their service down deliberately after that to make public backlash at Anon. Now they're going at it again by screwing over paying customers with outrageous, and un-necessary copy protection.

Well done Sony.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Could it be cinavia protection.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TigaHawk
Why people actualy go out and buy stuff like movies truly puzzles me.

You buy it - you take it home. you're forced to watch an un-skippable 3minute "Piracy is BAD!!" Video (diddnt yo just buy it? Why are you watching that ??? Stumps me too)

Some companies even have the nerve to tack on to the end of the anti-piracy Skit, 3-5 "Previews" for other movies. Sometimes Skippable - The ones that are not you tend to watch once then put it under the bed so you dont have to put yourself thru that again.

Then theres the portability problem! More copy protection that's not compatable with you're PC (Or is simply designed NOT to play on a PC - DVD player only)

all this for going to the shop, and forking out $39.95 for the new release DVD/Blue Ray.

I believe that the illigeal type will play on anything once you've burnt it to CD. When you pop it in you're Drive it instantly brings up the Title menu.

I actualy kind of think it's funny that the people buying DVD's and Blu Ray allow themselves to put up with that crap. It can be looked at as a form of Conditioning as well. Do the right thing - Still get punished outlook.

Sony is a Dirty corporation. They deliberately gave Anonymous a bad name. Anon only attacked them for 1day. They stopped beacuse of the Gamer's outcry. Sony kept their service down deliberately after that to make public backlash at Anon. Now they're going at it again by screwing over paying customers with outrageous, and un-necessary copy protection.

Well done Sony.

Exactly what I was talking about.
Well said.

It's definitely conditioning.
Just as Ive seen lately, People setting aside a portion of their monthly budget and taking some food off the table for "music downloads"..
lol wtf...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I returned the first rental and tried a second one, yup, same thing happened. *snip* Sony Fony!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by prettytoney
i remember that little rootkit fiasco. nasty stuff especially since no good way to uninstall it when first released without messing up drivers for IDE/SATA and any physical or removal media causing the devices not to e recognized or even windows boot up failure.

Do you have any programs that may cause any issues with potential anti-piracy methods? i use anydvd which decrypts most DVD protections so i can copy them and occasionally have problems with the very latest dvd releases.. which means whatever company released the movie upped their anti-piracy. another potential software conflict could be CD emulation software like daemon=tools or alcohol120%.

Anydvd?
Never heard of it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

www.slysoft.com...

Been using it for years works very well with their other product CloneDVD. They update it often to counter any new encryptions. Use it to copy what i get from netflix, blockbuster and friends. Takes about 40mins to copy a dvd on my laptop from conversion to burn. The only DVDs i remember having trouble with were stranger than fiction and rambo, within a week anydvd had a update and i was able to copy them

DVDFAB and DVD43 are similar free alternatives

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I returned the copy of The Green Hornet, and tried a different copy. Again, the movie won't play.

new topics

top topics

join