It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I accidently stepped on a fallen bird today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
So as I was walking home from my mother's boyfriends house today, roughly around 10 p.m GMT+1 (European Time), when I suddenly, by complete accident, stepped on a fallen bird. I immidiately jumped forward out of complete surprise (I thought I had stepped on a rat or something). It started screeching and jumping back and forth with whatever power it had left. It was horrible. It sort of reminded me of a broken toy that had gone nuts. Sorry if that sounds like a heartless description, but I just can't think of a better one.

I was in complete shock. I would never ever even think of intentionally hurting a bird, or any animal for that matter. And the worse part is, I made it suffer. I really don't know what it was doing on the ground in the first place, but I didn't see it as it was somewhat dark, and I wasn't really looking at the path in detail.

Anyway to get to the point, and the reason why I made this thread, is because I just felt totally horrible. I just made this poor bird suffer, and probably in the worst possible way. It looked somewhat mutilated when I went back to look at it, as it layed there completely motionless. I felt horrible. I didn't know what to think.

Should I have put it out of its misery by stomping on it ? What should I have done? I have a very weak heart, so I just couldn't see myself doing something like that. What should I have done differently ? I just stood there in complete shock and watched it suffer. I didn't know what to do.

I couldn't think of anything else but just asking for its forgiveness. I really felt that horrible. My heart was just torn. I went back to look at the poor little bird, and as I asked for it's forgiveness, I thought I could see its eyes glare. I almost felt like crying

Did I comitt a sin ? Should I have put it out of its misery immidiately ? Should I have done anything differently ?

I just really feel horrible about it. I know there are way worse stuff happening out there, but this really did get to me.
edit on 15-5-2011 by ZikhaN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I would be asking the same questions as you..... I don't think that I could have personally killed it to put it out of its misery....unfortunately.. I would have called my boyfriend or brother to come over and put it out if its misery... but I too would have cried and asked for its forgiveness
I'm sorry you went through that... sorry for the bird too... I wonder why it was laying on the ground in the first place??

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Were your intentions good? That's the only question you need to ask, and that'll answer the rest.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

I am so sorry about the whole incident. No, you did not commit a sin. A sin would be something that was intentional and this was an accident. Please do not feel guilt for what you did. I have hit birds and squirrels with my car and I always feel horrible so I understand your sadness but sometimes things just happen with no fault on anybody's part.

I do some volunteer work at a bird rescue and from that experience I would just advise you to have numbers of animal rescue organizations that are in your area on hand. That way if you see an injured animal you will be able to take the animal or call the right number for help for it.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Don't be so hard on yourself, it was unintentional! : (
It's unfortunate that you had to deal with this, I can't even begin to imagine how you must be feeling.
As far as putting it out of it's misery, not all of us has the heart to do so. Don't beat yourself up too much, your heart was in the right place. I hope you can make peace with this soon, brother.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It was an accident. There was no negative intent, you simply did not see it. You let it die as naturally as it could and I don't think taking more action would have been any better.

As someone who owns birds and has seen some pass away, I know it can be a difficult sight. The bird may have already fallen from a tree and hurt itself...considering what time it was and that it was already on the ground. You might have actually in some way helped it.

Please try your best to let this go peacefully. It was NOT your fault.

All the Best

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

God bless everyone who has responded so far. Threads like this, despite the unpleasant situation, help me not get too down on humanity.

There's not much I can add here other than to let it be a learning situation - be mindful where you're walking. The other suggestion to have a animal society's number, etc., on hand is very good...despite not enjoying animal suffering, I'm also doubtful about trying to end such - the animal might just be scared or uncomfortable, temporarily sprained, etc., but otherwise able to recoup. Otherwise, ending its life still doesn't make me feel much better unless you have a quick and painless way to do so. Stomping just sets my teeth on edge to think about.

In the future, perhaps if there's some safe way you can collect the animal and get to a phone, that might be the best bet (that I can think of). Just take care as some animals can be unsafe to handle due to disease, etc.

Sorry friend, but don't be hard on yourself.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Think about the thousands of insects you kill stepping on unknowingly, or the millions of bacteria you kill taking a shower. What do you think about that?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I can relate - last year a bird flew into my windshield as I was turning onto the off-ramp on my way home. I felt really bad too. It didn't help that my husband kept teasing me after that, calling me "bird killer". I am a vegetarian and pretty sensitive. I wouldn't have been able to put it out of its misery either, in your situation. I think what you did, apologizing and asking forgiveness, was about the only thing you could do. It's so sad, life is so fragile and the more we care the more fragile it seems. My friend's dog just had puppies and two of them died, for no apparent reason. It's senseless and sad. I feel for you. It is to your credit, in my opinion, that you do feel so bad; it means you are a caring and sympathetic individual who does not take suffering of others lightly.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I was wrong with what I first posted and I apologize....I reread your posting.....and realized you did absolutely nothing wrong.....I think perhaps the bird was already in trouble before you got there.....it seems to me that you are a really kind and caring person.....some things are beyond our control...and this was one for you..
edit on 15-5-2011 by caladonea because: My first posting was wrong and I apologize.......

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

I didn't want to speak in detail, but if a bird is spasming the best thing to do is wrap its body/wings in a cloth (or shirt whatever you can get to) and hold it down gently hoping that it will subside. This will stop most of the movement and makes the passing process easier on both the bird and the person.

Again, I am so sorry this happened.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This is one of those things. Ya know those things you couldn't have prevented but just makes you feel horrible.

I stepped on a pet bird when I was a kid on accident. It was a complete accident and I cried for hours (I was really little and it was my bird I loved). I did learn from the experience and it pretty much made me more conscious of my actions from then on out. this must have been around 30 years ago and still recall it clearly.

Is what you did a sin or wrong? Absolutely not. In the future I would do as suggested earlier and keep animal rescue numbers handy if something similar happens. It probably would have died anyway and birds have a handy shock function just as most vertebrates do so the last minutes were likely not in agony if that helps.

I once saved a mockingbird from a cat attack. Drove it to a lady who does bird rehab who I found on the net. She took him in and while he never flew again I found out he went to an educational facility somewhere for kids to learn about nature.

Everything happens for a reason, let the reason here be to encourage positive help for life and it was not a loss.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Ugh. Such a tough spot. I would have wanted to put it out of its misery. Whether or not I would have been able to actually do this is another question.

I would not have wanted it to suffer though, and if it was already going to end up dying due to it's injuries, then I probably would have forced myself to put it out of it's misery.

I feel bad even killing an ant or spider. I still do, we must kill plenty of things just from existing. Dying is a natural part of any biological living life. I think what matters more is your intent.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
if you killed it the proper thing to do would be to bring it home and cook it
happy eating

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I would think it best to put it out of it's misery if you can tell you've broken some bones and it can't recover. Find a strong stick and break it's neck. Maybe say a prayer before you take it's life. But don't feel bad, there are people who go out and hunt and kill these for fun. In the grand scheme of things you haven't done anything and it may have been at the end of it's life anyway. Birds are very fast, if it was healthy there is no way it would've gotten stepped on.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Well... If it was on the ground, and didn't move out of your way, it was probably badly injured before you stepped on it. You might not have even done any damage at all really, maybe it crashed into something. I would have put it out of it's misery myself. And to the person talking about taking it to a vet... It was 10PM, vets are not open at that hour, at least not here.
edit on Sun, 15 May 2011 17:52:34 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
Think about the thousands of insects you kill stepping on unknowingly, or the millions of bacteria you kill taking a shower. What do you think about that?

Oddly enough satron, I do feel guilty killing bugs,and have even let some live. lol

I go through this process of mind thought,that tells me they didn't as to be born a bug,and they fight to survive just like we do, and what right do I have to decide they should have less right to live than I do?

Then my brain does a 180 and says ,well if you don't kill them they will take over the place,at which point,they get squashed.

Here when a bird is injured you can call the local department of animal protection and they will come to pick it up.

Don't know what I would do at 10 pm though.

It must have been an awful feeling, sorry you had to experience it.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

How can u say something like that ? Can't you tell that I was deeply affected by this ?

I have a weak heart, and this is the first time something like this has happened to me. How was I supposed to know exactly what to do? And I have a feeling that even if I did pick it up, I wouldn't have gotten it to a vet quick enough, and it was 10 p.m as I said. It seemed pretty much gone when I approached for the second time anyway.

Thanks everyone else for your helpful and caring replies. I feel much better now !

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

I am sure that most people would agree that seeing an injured animal on the ground would be a lot more devastating than taking a shower and killing bugs.... lets put it in perspective....

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ZikhaN

I know how you feel! two nights ago, I went out to my car to get my keys out. When i closed the door, I noticed a fluttering sound. Closer inspection showed that I had caught a big brown moth's wing in the car door and there was fluid running from it onto the window. It must have been just on the top edge of the door when I opened it and the moth dropped its wing down.
I opened the door quickly and grabbed a paper towel from the roll I keep in the car. I ran in the house with it, placed it on the table and was just petrified at the sight of the moth struggling to move. Out of desperation, I tried to straighten out the crushed wing, but it was beyond fixing and losing body fluids. I picked it up to keep it from fluttering so bad and it died that way and I cried. it makes me cry even now because I can still see its desperate struggle to try to live.
I buried it in my flower garden. So I know how you feel. I was so stricken by my causing its death.

<<   2 >>

join