It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words seemed spelled wrong, what is up with that?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Lots of this going on in US media especially.

The bastardisation of the English language is a pet peeve of mine.

Advertisers started using misspelled words because they thought it made them stand out in advertising if they were spelt incorrectly. In other words, made people look again.

Unfortunately, many of these incorrectly spelt words are now part of every day use, and it's appalling.

A great link to the "100 most often misspelled English words"

www.yourdictionary.com...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
OK So I am not the spelling be champ

You seem to have misspeltificated bee.
IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!!!

Spellcheck kind of actually sucks at times.
Be, Bee, Bea, can all be correct and in the wrong context, yes there's a fancy word for it but I do not like the big intimidating words, and prolly don't know which is which. adverb, pronoun or whatever...
I attribute most of my errors to bad fingers, that or bad eyesight.
Try it, I get away with alot.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I've seen that episode of The Twilight Zone before. Good one.

I too do that sometimes thinking a word is spelled one way, but then it just does not look right and I run it through spell check and I did spell it wrong, though I was certain I was spelling it right...

I think it is just a bit of a brain fart though really... For example. I love to mix up the whole " I before E except after C" rule.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Oh damn, it really is spelled weird. Man I hate written language.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
it will take me 2, 3 or 4 shots at it to get the red line to go away. Sometimes I just give up and Google it.
I think my spell-check is from Firefox, but I am not positive. Anyways, all I have to do is right click on the red underlined word, and it gives me a few options. It's just a much simpler process than the trial & error method. I just wanted to throw that out there, in case that function is on yours also, but you had not realized it.

Originally posted by Darce
Maybe in reading other people's poor spelling and grammar all day on the internet, we get influenced by that somehow to become lazier when forming our sentences too.
This is one of the things that I really like about ATS. It is too easy to use the internet/text style shorthand. I am glad it is not used here.

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
Dude, what have you been smoking???
That is one whacked out theory

Whacked out or not, it is an interesting theory nonetheless.

Originally posted by TKDRL
Oh damn, it really is spelled weird. Man I hate written language.

lmao. I thought your "I have been face-palmed" comment was sarcasm. Thanks for clearing that up. You could of kept it to yourself.

edit on 5/15/11 by BrokenCircles because: more more

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I have spent half of the last 6 months or so surfing the internet and researching different subject matter. I first started noticing misspelled words and words that sounded like the intended word in MSM articles a few months back. The first time, if my memory is correct, was a CNN story that looked like it had been written by a teenager. I have seen it more frequently as of late and it seems mostly to be coming from MSM and big name corporate sites. Just one word, per article or page, spelled incorrectly or substituted for a correctly spelled word that sounds almost identical but is totally unrelated.

When I see it I just assume it's sloppy editing, though it does seem to be escalating. I never thought to check the spelling or see if there is some new link to the unrelated word. I'm kind of afraid to after reading this thread. Glad someone else is noticing. Maybe there is something to it. If there is it's nothing good.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

One crazy idea I have been thinking about (almost as bad as the time slip explanation) is the changes in the Earth magnetic feild could be messing with our minds. Just look at the crazy things people are doing and it looks better as an explanation. Any way at this rate some day no one will be able to read what any one else has wrote.

Sounds like the Tower of Babble to me.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Just something to add in here

I used to be a perfectionist when I was younger with spelling and grammar. I never typed very well, but I was much better than now. A couple of months ago I was in a very bad wreck with a severe head injury the required a week stay in the hospital. At first I didn't notice it, but it has been repeatedly pointed out to me that I am transposing letters, leaving letters out and using the wrong words even when typing! I'm frustrated with this and embarrassed to an extent. Before it was a choice to be lazy and not use spell check, now it's involuntary. I have also "forgotten" some simple mathematical operations and silly things like how to embed a video. Sometimes I'm sure I'm using the correct tense of a word or the correct word and I'm not. It's literally driving me crazy!

I had asked my neurologist a few weeks ago what was the issue since I'd even forgotten my phone number when his office called and asked for a call back number. In my case I have a small blood clot that isn't wanting to dissipate and my brain was bounced pretty good. This may be temporary, but it it's not.. what if I discover even more things I can no longer remember or do. It seems I don't know its missing until I try to use it!

My question is: have any of you suffered a head injury? Recently or in the past?

One of my internet buddies on here suggested it was electrical interference due to cell phones and wireless signals. I don't know if I prefer that or the excuse of a brain injury! One may heal and one will never go away.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by fixer1967

I think its mispelled not missed spelled, sorry but
we are speaking of spelling here, right

Typing error: "its" should be spelled like this --> it's....just sayin

Skywatcher 2011 thank you for the lol. But if you are going to play Online Grammar Nazi it's best to know of what you speak.

Using its and it’s incorrectly is a very common error among native English speakers and non-native English speakers alike.

Its – the possessive form of it (like his or her).
“Each company in the group has its own managing director and company secretary.”

It’s – a contraction of “it is”. When you see the apostrophe, you should think “it is”.
“It’s difficult for the parties to resolve this dispute.”

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
hmmm.. I definately remember responding to a post by Broken Circles in this thread, and now both of those posts,hers and mine are gone?

Does this happen often on this site..it was in response to her saying she doesn't hold much intellectual accountability to people who spell wrong..like in "bare" | arms ,instead of "bear" arms.

I made a reference to intellectual snobbery,and how quickly those kind will disregard the heart of a post because of this type of snobbery..now I can't find either post???

Whats up with that?

Is this a future inclination of what I can look forward to if someone is emabarrased by what they write and how I respond to it?

Wow..I've seen this happen on other sites, didn't think this site would stoop that low..damn that ego hunh,, for the intellectual types, it seems to be their God
edit on 15-5-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

yep those two posts definately missing ..just checked the whole thread 3 times.

thats just too funny....how childish of whoever took them off...and cowardly.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
hmmm.. I definately remember responding to a post by Broken Circles in this thread, and now both of those posts,hers and mine are gone?

First and foremost, I am not a her. Never have been, and never will be. As far as the rest of your comment, well I don't know, because I quickly had to respond to this part. May edit and add more in a minute.

Your comment is still there.
Click that^^. I didn't actually reply directly to it, but only because I had posted another comment, seconds before you did, that did mention the 'I before E' thing.

Here's a little tip that you may find useful in the future. To the left of a comment, underneath the member name, there is a dropdown menu that says 'Member.' One of the options, is to view 'Posts In Thread.' Click that, whether on your name, or someone else, and it will only show you those posts. The feature can actually be very useful when a thread has 20, 50, 100 + pages.
edit on 5/15/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

yep those two posts definately missing ..just checked the whole thread 3 times.

thats just too funny....how childish of whoever took them off...and cowardly.

When posts are "removed" for violation, its just the text thats removed and not the entire post. Perhaps you need to look to see if you posted in another thread or ask a a mod what happened before going off on a tangent.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I am a silly idiot at times broken circles,and I owe you a huge apology for this one.

It was on another thread, as to the posts I'm referring to, and I feel totally humiliated.

Please accept my apologies, to all I have offended, especially you Broken Circles.

You have no idea how bad I feel for this.

(would it help if i told you its happend before,but somewhere else/) no?..didn't think so

I guess the reference to spelling errors , threw me off
edit on 15-5-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

lmao. No, don't feel bad. It was funny. I was even still amused by it, while typing that response.

I did edit and add more to my previous comment though.

edit on 5/15/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
So glad you brought this up OP! I thought I was the only one. Since I was little, I was always a good speller, avid reader, good grammar.....A few months ago, I noticed I kept spelling words either wrong or mostly backwards. I couldn't figure out what was going on with myself
....FYI~ I literally just had to go back & check my reply & had to fix 3 words I did indeed type backwards...I will watch this thread to see what others have to say...
Thank You

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I have two things to add to this thread while we are on the topic of lanuage.

one, I too sometimes have a lapse and can't even recognize a certain word, will sit there and attempt to remember

two, the sexualization of the english language - I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but even words like "it" have become metaphors for sex. if you pay close attention when someone talks there are many different references with sexual connotation that one can pick up.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
. You could of kept it to yourself.

Not spelling per se, but it is "could have" not "could of". I see this sort of thing all the thyme. Spell cheque doesn't cover semantics.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
"If people cannot write well, they cannot think well, and if they cannot think well, others will do their thinking for them."
— George Orwell

Now you know.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I've noticed this happening to me too. I understand it when I write in English, but Spanish is my native language and I've never had spelling mistakes in my life, yet recently I've been doubting a lot before writing a word.

Another member mentioned the use of misspelled words and bad grammar on TV and I've noticed this here in Argentina. In Spanish you use two exclamation and question marks, one at the beginning and one at the end: ¡! ¿?
But on TV they have started to use only the one at the end, like in the English language. I don't think they should do that, it's wrong and it might confuse people and make them think that that's the appropriate way of writing, when it's not.

When I want to write a word and I have doubts about the way it's spelled, I look it up in the dictionary and write it a couple of times to make sure I got it right.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join