It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Supreme Court Rules - Police Can Enter Any Home For Any Reason or No Reason - Anytime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The Indiana Supreme Court ruled that citizens of the state have no right to resist unlawful police entry into their homes. What the decision means is that Indiana if a police officer wants to enter a home for any reason (or even for no reason) the homeowner cannot do anything at all about it.

Court: No right to resist illegal cop entry into home

In a 3-2 decision, Justice Steven David writing for the court said if a police officer wants to enter a home for any reason or no reason at all, a homeowner cannot do anything to block the officer's entry.

"We believe ... a right to resist an unlawful police entry into a home is against public policy and is incompatible with modern Fourth Amendment jurisprudence," David said. "We also find that allowing resistance unnecessarily escalates the level of violence and therefore the risk of injuries to all parties involved without preventing the arrest."

David said a person arrested following an unlawful entry by police still can be released on bail and has plenty of opportunities to protest the illegal entry through the court system.

The court's decision stems from a Vanderburgh County case in which police were called to investigate a husband and wife arguing outside their apartment.

When the couple went back inside their apartment, the husband told police they were not needed and blocked the doorway so they could not enter. When an officer entered anyway, the husband shoved the officer against a wall. A second officer then used a stun gun on the husband and arrested him.

So let me get this straight - in Indiana a cop could just walk into my house for no reason at all and arrest me for whatever made up thing he wants. But that is ok because I can still post bail and complain the the court??!?!!

I know the government hardly pays attention to it anymore - but doesn't this go against the Constitution?!

edit on 13-5-2011 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Dupe Thread

Courts etc

IBTL

Bonez had quicker fingers!

edit on 13-5-2011 by shaolin_dragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Oh Fiddlesticks! I even used the brand new search thingy.

Mods - thy will be done...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Wow.. ultra Orwellian ruling! They even admit the entry is "unlawful"??!?

A cop illegally entering a residence should be treated with the same level of action as would be directed at a criminal forcing entry into your home. This ruling is just incredible.. police are essentially immune from the very laws we have to protect us from them..

new topics

top topics

join