It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A US prison bans all books – except The Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

A jail in the US state of South Carolina has banned all book and reading materials except for the Christian Bible. Critics argue there is simply no good reason to ban books. The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit arguing the Berkeley County detention center’s policy is unconstitutional. “Our inmates are only allowed to receive soft back bibles in the mail directly from the publisher. They are not allowed to have magazines, newspapers, or any other type of books,” a prison employee once said in an email to Prison Legal News, who is also working to sue alongside the ACLU. "Prisoners who are incarcerated for extended periods of time have been deprived of access to magazines, newspapers and books – other than the Bible – for months or even years on end,” noted the ACLU. There is no on-site library at the prison and since 2008 Prison Legal News and books, including those which assist inmates with protecting their health and others that outline their legal rights have been returned to sender.

Source

Whats your thoughts ATS? Should prisoners only be allowed the bible? Is it Unconstitutional? Do you think it should depend on what they did to be Incarcerated? I love this website, and I love hearing what you people think.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

And...your having a problem with this?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

And...your having a problem with this?

Where did i say i have a problem with this.. I want your opinion, but through that i know it already. Some might say, should they be allowed any book at all.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
What if they're Muslim?

Why ban books, this sounds like some 18th century policy.

+3 more 
posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I certainly have a problem with it. If a book ban is in force, let it include ALL books. Why should Christians get a monopoly on propagandizing in jail or prison?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

Nice, thanks for the info OP.

My opinion? Although I agree there are some OTHER books that should be allowed, such as a Legal Rights book or something, or how to Escape from Prison for Dummies, I'm perfectly OK with it just being the Bible, in fact I'd support it 100%

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I think its fine, is is a government funded prison or a privately funded prison and just in the US? That could change the whole name of the game, but as an inmate you lose many rights and privileges. I didn't see anywhere that the inmates HAD to accept a bible anywhere, just thats what they can be given. Boo hoo, shouldn't have gotten yourself in jail in the first place.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Most prisoners that find Christ once incarcerated become model prisoners, alternatively quite the opposite can be said for those who convert to islam. In my part of the world there currently exists an organized recruiting plan to boost numbers and therefore strength within our prisons. I would ban the quran only.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I certainly have a problem with it. If a book ban is in force, let it include ALL books. Why should Christians get a monopoly on propagandizing in jail or prison?

Because you can't take away a persons right to religion.

I'm sure, if requested, the koran would be permitted. If they don't then they open themselves to a huge lawsuit. I meant to say, a huge lawsuit with merit.

+6 more 
posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
this is disgusting...most people that are incarcerated are there for nonviolent and victimless crimes, which should not even be crimes at all...ive been caught in the fascist system before, and without books to pass the time i would have literally lost my mind...if you think that this is ok, you should think about doing the world a favor and giving yourself an extra hole in the head...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

correct freedom of religion you will never lose

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
So I take it the prison system in the US is against rehabilitation? Part of that is often getting some sort of an education, for that, you need books.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

I’m cool with any religious or actual educational/school texts and the daily newspaper. However, I think they should remove all TV and radio, weights, basketball courts, pretty much anything that a prisoner can use as entertainment. To include letting them group together. They’re there to learn their lesson for committing a crime. Lighten up on prisoners who exhibit good behavior by giving them a little more outside time and letting them learn a trade/go to school.

However, if they are lifers or death penalty prisoners who have exhausted all means. Keep them in their cell at all times with no outside communication, except the guards, who should be told not to talk to the prisoners.

Feed them, clothe them and provide shelter and medical if needed, but they should be shackled at all times outside the cell.

People commit crimes to go back to prison because that is all they know. Make prisons so miserable that no one wants to go back.

Harsh? By all means it’s harsh, but I am getting sick of reading/hearing about repeat offenders.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I believe in prison being for punishment, but i would rather see less heavy weight training making for bigger, stronger criminals when they get out than see a book ban. I think they should have access to books, but not TV, playstation etc which they get here in NZ. We are way too soft on crooks here.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

its a jail, not a prison. Most inmates there wouldn't be there long enough to further their education.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
There is no such thing as rehabilitation in prison. They same people go in and out on a regular basis so there is no such think as rehabilitation. I say band book or religion or any physical activity what so ever. Let them live a dull life there and when they do get out then PERHAPS that might change them. They should have no rights what so ever. Ofcourse I am talking about the hard core people there. The ones with the much lesser crimes should be put into a different kind of prison and then give them some reading and education to help them get back on their feet. There should be no free lunch in prison.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This is outrageous.... In prison the mind is the only escape.... and the bible has to be the worst story ever told! Having family in the 'system' I would be mad as hell if this right had been violated for them.... I understand the "well murderers didnt give their victims the right to...." yes I know... but you cant hold this to the entire population... We are a 'free' (dont get me started on illuminati...) country and as such we have a responsibility to provide these rights to ALL Americans... under any circumstances period

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Hell yeah this is a good idea, if they had spent more time studying the bible they wouldnt be there to begin with.
They should make em memorise the ten commandments before releasing them.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Savorrow

Its a county jail, not a prison.

The Bible isn't a bad story unless you start reading it already hating it.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Hard to say on this one.

They're prisoners, they're there to serve time for something they've done, not to be entertained.

At the same time, however, even prisoners do need something to pass the time. I would think that with no books to read it would make them turn to alternative and possibly more harmful ways to keep from complete boredom.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join