It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of Teamwork: We need "Lessons from the Geese"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This clever piece of thought and wisdom takes scientific facts of the migration of geese and applies it to human behavior and teamwork. Research shows it was written in 1972 by Dr. Robert McNeish of Baltimore, Md., but has also been credited to Milton Olson who based a church sermon from it.

Families and society could really utilize these lessons to make this world a better place.

FACT: As each bird flaps its wings, it creates an "uplift" for the bird following. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.

LESSON:People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.

FACT: When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front of it.

LESSON: If we have as much sense as a goose, we stay in formation with those who are headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give help to others.

FACT: When the lead goose gets tired, it rotates back into the formation and another goose flies at the point position.

LESSON: It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership — people, as with geese, are interdependent on each other's skills, capabilities, talents and resources.

FACT: The geese in formation honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.

LESSON: We need to make sure our honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement, production is much greater.

FACT: When a goose gets sick or wounded, two geese drop out of formation to follow him or her down to help and protect their fallen companion. They stay with him/her until they either die or able to fly again. Then they launch out with another formation or catch up with their flock.

LESSON: If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when we are strong.

I hope everyone finds it as full of insight as I have.

Oops! MODS please move to the right forum.

edit on 13-5-2011 by tinker9917 because: This was supposed to land in social issues, not sure how it ended up here

edit on 13-5-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Wasn't this a disney movie?

Not feasible in real world politics or life but interesting.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Great advice, if I could fly.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

FACT: Humans don't fly!
Lesson: Looking at an inspirational picture hanging in your office of Geese flying in a v with the words teamwork over the top of it isn't a good idea for a topic in ATS.
Fact: Only bosses believe they can effect their workers production levels positively through inspirational non sense like this.
Lesson: Unemployment is at a all time high
edit on 13-5-2011 by pcrobotwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
If geese were rugged individualists, they wouldn't have to migrate.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I think you are all not reading LESSONS to humans...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The thing about this piece that gets me is that is basically says we can't be anything worthwhile on our own. Individualism is bad, leadership is bad... everybody get in your position and honk.

Besides, a lot of stuff in this list appears to be bull# anyway...
StraightDope

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
From the replies here so far, i say NO WONDER OUR WORLD IS IN THE SHAPE IT IS RIGHT NOW.

So, I say, fly away and have a nice day.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
The thing about this piece that gets me is that is basically says we can't be anything worthwhile on our own. Individualism is bad, leadership is bad... everybody get in your position and honk.

Besides, a lot of stuff in this list appears to be bull# anyway...
StraightDope

Lighten up: I see from your other posts tonight you are in a really bad mood and very negative. Sorry, but lighten up a little on people.

P.S. Have a good night

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this. As someone who has flown with a flock and now flies alone, there are good and bad points that come with both. Flying alone, I am in control and can fly at my own pace and choose my own path, but it is very exhausting. In the flock i would sometimes get annoyed with the others, but it is nice to have someone else to help carry you when you slow down, and share the burdens of stress with you.

I don't think this was meant to discourage Independence. Independence is a wonderful thing. But as a society we need to learn to work well together to improve our efficiency and social webbing.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I've thought about this, and I will respond to every smart&%$ comment on here with a reasonable answer, if I haven't already,,,

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Wasn't this a disney movie?

Not feasible in real world politics or life but interesting.

No, it was not a disney movie. But I believe it is feasible in general life

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoopDawg

Great advice, if I could fly.

I'm sure you are part of a "flock" somewhere... and need help from time to time...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf

FACT: Humans don't fly!
Lesson: Looking at an inspirational picture hanging in your office of Geese flying in a v with the words teamwork over the top of it isn't a good idea for a topic in ATS.
Fact: Only bosses believe they can effect their workers production levels positively through inspirational non sense like this.
Lesson: Unemployment is at a all time high

I think someone doesn;t like his job... but should be thankful he has a job in these tough times.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightFlight
If geese were rugged individualists, they wouldn't have to migrate.

What???

I'm talking about human behavior here, not animal's behavior, Are you really that shallow?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Under Water
Thank you for posting this. As someone who has flown with a flock and now flies alone, there are good and bad points that come with both. Flying alone, I am in control and can fly at my own pace and choose my own path, but it is very exhausting. In the flock i would sometimes get annoyed with the others, but it is nice to have someone else to help carry you when you slow down, and share the burdens of stress with you.

I don't think this was meant to discourage Independence. Independence is a wonderful thing. But as a society we need to learn to work well together to improve our efficiency and social webbing.

Thank you. At least someone is trying to understand this post.

It is exhausting, but thats why we need the flock, To take the lead when we are tired.. To be there when we just need a break from everything till we can fly again.... but also to LET us lead when we are strong and know where we are going.

I

top topics

join