It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.0 Magnitude Earthquake Costa Rica

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Source: earthquake.usgs.gov...

Magnitude 6.0 - COSTA RICA
2011 May 13 22:47:55 UTC

Earthquake Details

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 6.0
Date-Time

* Friday, May 13, 2011 at 22:47:55 UTC
* Friday, May 13, 2011 at 04:47:55 PM at epicenter

Location 10.105°N, 84.261°W
Depth 70 km (43.5 miles)
Region COSTA RICA
Distances

* 25 km (16 miles) WNW (303°) from SAN JOSE, Costa Rica
* 126 km (78 miles) SSE (153°) from San Carlos, Nicaragua
* 137 km (85 miles) W (275°) from Limon, Costa Rica

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 16.5 km (10.3 miles); depth +/- 8.8 km (5.5 miles)
Parameters NST=376, Nph=381, Dmin=20 km, Rmss=1.23 sec, Gp=115°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=9
Source

* U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

Event ID usc0003et0

Tried the search for other threads, Got no luck. Sorry if already posted.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by YoungMind92

Hello.

Magnitude 6.0 earthquakes occur on average about 120 times per year. Is there some significance here that you've picked up on? Not trying to downplay, but we've had a lot of threads like this lately and I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something, thanks.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

The fact Japan just had a 6.2 .

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Frankly I could care less if this has any relevance at all. ATS is my new source of information, and I'll take everything I can get - because it's actual NEWS.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Um....do you think everytime there is an earthquake that we need to start a thread about it?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

*nod*

Indeed. Do you want to know how many larger quakes they had recently? In the hundreds, I'm sure (fine, could be wrong, but still lots).

If they have anything much more significant, OK. And I'd expect something significantly larger is coming...but a 6.0 in costa rica just doesn't do it for me.

Not hating, just saying.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
People discover these websites that show current quakes and think they found information no one knows. Actually there are no greater amounts of earthquakes than has happened before but since people can now view them instantaneously they think they are able to make predictions or that the world is looming near disaster.

The world is fine.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

As I can tell you spend some time on Ats as do I. Then you should have noticed alot of talk about the Planetary alignments, So yes I will post about earthquakes that are of threat and could possibly be connected to something else whether it be the planets or natural.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Hello lionheart - I like the name, BTW.

May I also recommend blacklistednews.org, dailypaul.com, drudgereport.com, shtfplan.com, and disinfo.com?

News is good, but as you alluded, not everything is actual news. Much wheat and chaff to separate here on ATS, and too much chaff dilutes the wheat significant and impairs the experience and relevance for all.

Thanks.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

As I can tell you spend some time on Ats as do I. Then you should have noticed alot of talk about the Planetary alignments, So yes I will post about earthquakes that are of threat and could possibly be connected to something else whether it be the planets or natural.

Fair enough friend, but I think you'll be posting quite a lot without too much of it working toward a whole lot of effect.

It's been awhile since I've seen Dude, where's my car? by the way...I might have to dust it off again.

Be well.

Edit: sidenote - if you don't already have it, I suggest downloading EarthQuake 3d from CNet's download.com. Very neat.
edit on 5/13/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
no deaths reported.

sky news had breaking news about this an hour ago.

if the msm beat ats to it these days its nothing major.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by YoungMind92

Thats fine and I applaud your efforts but just remember that there are scientist with actual degrees, hundreds of them, who study earthquakes for a living and are actively looking for a way to create early warning systems to save lives.

They cannot find any link between earthquakes and planets or anything else with the exception of volcanoes so at least do less informed people a favor and add a disclaimer to what you post so they don't get scared and think your posts are actually based on scientific information.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I'm not going to point fingers or anything but I'll just point out that ATS members do a pretty damn good job of monitoring EQs that I personally would miss without their efforts.

Sure every 6.0 might not effect YOU, but be sure if one does hit your whiny ass you might have wished you were paying attention.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
the hits just keep coming..
and yet we still fight over foolishness

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ancientmustytext

If a 6.0 hits me I doubt i'll be getting my information from ATS but rather seeing my house shake but thanks for your input.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ancientmustytext

And posting untied responses doesn't do anyone much good...as neither does posting every earthquake above a 2.0 that happens on the planet.

I'm not saying it's not a good thing to be aware of the overall trends that are occurring, but have you ever heard of the boy who cried wolf, and how he dampened people's reactiveness to actual issues that needed attention?

Additionally, are you going to pack up and move? Where are you going to go to get away from an earthquake that might happen somewhere close to wherever you might end up at the time, without warning? What steps are you taking?

What good do these posts do, if the isolated events themselves are actually not newsworthy and just dilute people's attention? I'd LOVE some clarity here on how pointing out obvious (*apparent*) uselessness is whining.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

And posting untied responses doesn't do anyone much good...as neither does posting every earthquake above a 2.0 that happens on the planet.

Really??.

Why would I riddle the board with 2.0's or any thing that wouldn't cause harm?.

I posted it because it was something of threat!. Most people would be concerned for those who had to be there, I pray those who are experiencing the quake's.

Sorry for bringing this news to you're attention.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by YoungMind92
I posted it because it was something of threat!.

So thats the standard you'd be going by?
Looking through the stats, in 2010 there were
151 magnitude 6's.
21 magnitude 7's.
1 magnitude 8+

And in some years earlier there were more.
Please dont seriously tell us that you're going to create TWO HUNDRED threads every year about each and every earthquake.

Do magnitude 5. earthquakes count as well? If so, then you'll be creating well over TWO THOUSAND new threads every year.
To what purpose?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
You all need to subscribe to this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

A 6.0 magnitude earthquake shook Costa Rica Friday, the US Geological Survey reported. The quake alarmed residents, but there were no immediate reports of victims or damage.

Residents in the area around the San Jose International Airport reported power outages that impacted traffic lights during the daily rush hour.

Not a big deal really.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join