It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan To Cover Damaged Nuclear Reactors With Giant Tents

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by marsend
Let them have there tents and lets hope they lay out tables and have a banquette, and that the Government and Tepco staff and Shareholders go for dinner there. I guess now I only need a hat to stop radiation from killing me.tents and hats for all.

A tin foil hat is sounding like a prudent idea these days. Just how to make it as fashionable as those face masks they wear in Japan.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
TPTB are just trolling humanity.
There must be a huge threat coming and they know everyone is going to die or something, because this is one sick joke.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Every dog and pony show needs a tent...

unbelievable

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Actually if they did it right, it's not a bad plan.

1- 'Airlock' entrances to the tents, where the primary entrance(s) are compartmentalized to limit dangerous partials from being 'tracked out.'

2- High power blowers and filters to capture/contain radioactive dusts.

3- Easy to repair and dispose of as needed.

4- Some forms of radiation are blocked by a single layer of material.

5-Lead infused paints could add another layer of protection.

6- Framing for the 'tents' could be firm and strong enough to provide support under most environments.

7- Damaged tents, that if they should collapse due to earth quakes, will not create additional problems for repair and or evacuation of the workers if the need arose.

The only real problem areas I see in the tents, would be the steam emissions and fire hazards that would have to be worked around.

M.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rstregooski

TEPCO and the government have not released any estimates, but Bank of America-Merrill Lynch has said the total amount could be from ¥2.5 trillion to ¥4 trillion ($31 billion to $49 billion).
I'm not against the tents, though it does seem akin to putting a band-aid on a broken leg. The tents may reduce the spread of atmospheric contamination, but I think the water contamination problem is far worse at this point.

Millions of liters of water are being contaminated and while they are trying to divert some to trenches, it seems much of the contaminated water is going right into the oceans. The $31 billion to $49 billion doesn't even include cleaning up the ocean, because they can't. We're going to start seeing radioactivity in fish, it seems unavoidable.

So I'm far more concerned with what measures they are going to take to stop contaminating the ocean, than the air. The tents don't seem like a bad idea, but for goodness sakes, stop contaminating the ocean and fix that problem!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet
Actually if they did it right, it's not a bad plan.

1- 'Airlock' entrances to the tents, where the primary entrance(s) are compartmentalized to limit dangerous partials from being 'tracked out.'

2- High power blowers and filters to capture/contain radioactive dusts.

3- Easy to repair and dispose of as needed.

4- Some forms of radiation are blocked by a single layer of material.

5-Lead infused paints could add another layer of protection.

6- Framing for the 'tents' could be firm and strong enough to provide support under most environments.

7- Damaged tents, that if they should collapse due to earth quakes, will not create additional problems for repair and or evacuation of the workers if the need arose.

The only real problem areas I see in the tents, would be the steam emissions and fire hazards that would have to be worked around.

M.

Sorry Moshpet, but I'm going to have to poke holes in your hopeful thinking process (I know I know, you're just trying to throw something positive into this) :

Dust and other particles tracking out from their shoes/clothing (nothing a good hosedown can't handle) is the least of their worries...

They have ongoing meltdown containment breaches at the bottom, radiated water leakage into the ocean, soil, water table, and such.

As for the steam/smoke: They obviously need to allow it to escape from the tents.

... that's radioactive steam/smoke

*cough*

Thus, the radioactive isotopes are mostly leaking from the top and bottom of the units...

So, how exactly are they stopping radiation from escaping with a plastic tent over top ?

The only radiation that can't penetrate paper et al is alpha emitters.
Most (if not damn near all) of the isotopes from fission are beta and gamma (cesium-137, strontium-90, iodine-131, plutonium-239, xenon-133, just to name a few).

A thin layer of lead paint cannot stop gamma rays, there's paint molecules spacing between lead molecules. It needs to be a solid thick compressed lead.

So... uh... how exactly are they stopping radiation from escaping ?

This is a joke.
They might as well slash open a person's guts with a samurai sword and then stick a bandaid on it.

The tents serve no purpose other than to stop prying eyes.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Well,,,,,, will ,,,Krusty,,,, be their or not?

not answered yet?,, hasn't signed up yet?? what????

this is a cartoon right?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

The tents serve no purpose other than to stop prying eyes.

That's what I think is really going on.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Wow.. just wow.

I don't know what's more disheartening...the idiocy of the officials who actually think that a fabric tent will help etain the spread of radiation, or the fact that these aforementioned officials can sink to the lowest level of intelligence to help soothe the panick-stricken minds of the dumbed down masses.

I think what they're relying on here, is for most people to believe that radiation is ingested through the airway only.. not through the skin. If it can penetrate skin, it can sure as hell penetrate a paper thin fabric canvas. Who do they think they're fooling?

Although the ideology behind it is moronic, these tents do serve a MUCH more subtley important purpose... they're hiding a deeper mess that they don't want us to see. And then they wonder why there are conspiracy theories.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by fenceSitter
Somehow I don't think some polyester tents will do much to decrease the spread of radiation. I think they just don't want the world to witness every single step/mistake they make.

Interestingly enough, I have an old book of my Dad's when he was in charge of civil defense for our neighborhood in the 50s. The book is dated 1950, and states that clothing on skin can help protect it from absorbing radioactive materials.
On p 332 it states, "The ideal defense against radioactive contamination is to use, wherever possible, surfaces which are either resistant to such contamination or from which the active material can be readily removed. It has been found, for example, that surfaces coated with certain plastic paints are relatively easily decontaminated. .....In a general way, however, it can be stated that an ideal surface for the purpose in mind should have its specific surface area, i.e., area per unit mass, porosity, and chemical and surface activity as small as possible. There are indications at present that certain materials, such as polyethylene, have these desirable properties, and these substances could be used to form thin surface layers on various articles or equipment."
source: The Effects of Atomic Weapons The Combat Forces Press Wash DC 1950
So, yes it seems to me that they had this specific reason for using this material over the reactor. I believe they are using this material to filter out certain radioisotopes of, what this book calls rare earth elements. Such elements can be Tellurium, Barium, Iodine, Strontium, Krypton, Xenon, Zirconium, Molybedenum and a few others. The book states on p 317, "The removal of these elements alone would thus reduce the degree of contamination by about a third or more."
edit on 14-5-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: sp, typos

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by rstregooski

LIKE THIS WILL HELP You young people are screwed, kiss your healthy life goodby- Go google what depleted uranium bombs did to the babies of iraq? do you think this is not going to happen to your new-born kids?? we reap what we sow-we [free world] killed innocent people and scattered depleted unurainum all over iraq and afganistan and now god almighty will spread it to us through japans nuke reactor melt down--go ahead have kids,and see, reap what you have sown!!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by rstregooski

Hm ok, I starting to think these people are really stupid. How is the cover going to stop radiation? They screwed up big time and try to come up with something to cover up how bad it is.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Tents?

Really?

Well I guess it's fitting since this whole affair has been handled like as cirus of fools from the begining.

And every circus should have it's tent.

Of course, what the Japanese government and TEPCO aren't saying is that, they have not been able to prevent at least one (and maybe several) of their reactors from going into melt-down. And that once a reactor goes into melt-down, a mere tent is not going to stop the melted core from burning its way right through the bottom of the reactor into the ground below.

And, if, as at Fukushima, that ground consists of bed-rock likely fractured to hell by one of the largest earthquakes in history, with the freaking Pacific ocean at its doorstep, when the melted core hits pockets of cold seawater in the bedrock there's going to be a hell of a steam explosion.

That tent is going to go flying like a Japanese kite!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
In horse racing, why do they put a tarpaulin tent around a fallen horse before its shot in the head. So the paying public don't see the true horror of what they're supporting.

I think that says it all, but if your a bit hard of thinking, the 95% media black out is still not enough to cover this up, as RT news and other sources keep reporting what's going on. These tents should put a stop to the last prying eyes that continue to report on this disaster.

It makes as much sense as putting a sticking plaster on a leaking dam.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join