It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan To Cover Damaged Nuclear Reactors With Giant Tents

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Sounds bizarre, right...

Here's the link...

Updated: Friday, 13 May 2011, 8:07 AM EDT
Published : Friday, 13 May 2011, 8:07 AM EDT -

Giant polyester covers will soon be placed around the damaged reactor buildings at Japan's Fukushima nuclear complex to help contain the release of radioactive substances into the atmosphere, the plant operator said Friday.

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) will install the first cover at the No. 1 reactor, the focus of recent stabilization efforts, starting next month.

Workers will erect a steel framework and place a giant polyester tent-like cover around the reactor building. Similar covers will be placed around units No. 3 and 4. The work is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

A series of hydrogen explosions blew off the roofs and upper walls of the three reactors in the days after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami knocked out their cooling systems, triggering the overheating of the reactors.

The explosions scattered a large amount of radioactive debris in the area around the reactors. Workers will have to clear the debris near the No. 1 unit so that cranes and other heavy equipment can approach the reactor. TEPCO said it began shifting debris from the area around the unit Friday.

The damaged buildings have come to symbolize the severity of the nuclear crisis at the plant, the worst nuclear accident since Chernobyl in 1986.

The loss of the roofs and filters above the reactors has led to the steady release of radioactive substances from the complex, prompting calls for measures to contain contamination in the surrounding areas.

Meanwhile, the government announced a comprehensive plan to rescue TEPCO and fund compensation claims that are expected to total more than $30 billion.

The approval by the cabinet of Prime Minister Naoto Kan came after last-minute disputes within the ruling party over how heavily the company should be penalized and who in the end would pay the massive costs.

"The government, as it recognizes its social responsibility in having so far promoted nuclear power policy in coordination with nuclear power operators, is going to support Tokyo Electric Power ... while aiming to minimize the burden on the people," the government said in announcing the plan.

TEPCO and the government have not released any estimates, but Bank of America-Merrill Lynch has said the total amount could be from ¥2.5 trillion to ¥4 trillion ($31 billion to $49 billion).

Copyright (c) 2011 Dow Jones & Company Inc.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Anyone know why the other thread about this got deleted?

Anyway, seems like an interesting idea.

"Hey! We got a radiation leak!"

"OH NO... Throw a tee pee over it!"

"Brilliant!"

I guess if it stops radiation from spewing out into the air it's better than nothing!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Somehow I don't think some polyester tents will do much to decrease the spread of radiation. I think they just don't want the world to witness every single step/mistake they make.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Would a polyester tent be any good? or would it be like the proverbial chocolate fire guard?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

somehow I totally agree with you!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Throw some death row inmates in there and you've got a circus.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by rstregooski

Aah yes reactor 1 is in full meltdown let's build a polyester tent around it. and how long is that going to take? Months? Years?
And when they come up with a more permanent solution will they break it down again and start over?

Great to see that some members still haven't forgotten this disaster, thank you.

Sigh,
OnlyLove

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by rstregooski
Sounds bizarre, right...

Here's the link...

"The government, as it recognizes its social responsibility in having so far promoted nuclear power policy in coordination with nuclear power operators, is going to support Tokyo Electric Power ... while aiming to minimize the burden on the people," the government said in announcing the plan.

TEPCO and the government have not released any estimates, but Bank of America-Merrill Lynch has said the total amount could be from ¥2.5 trillion to ¥4 trillion ($31 billion to $49 billion).

Copyright (c) 2011 Dow Jones & Company Inc.

OK. So far it is reported that two lives have been snuffed-out thus far? That means we’re all worth $24.5 billion?
I’m curious how much we are worth to the “nuclear power policy?”

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The only thing these dang tents are going to do is waste time, money and resources, and are being built for one purpose only...

To cover up what's really going on.

Literally.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
This is embarrassing, these tents will do nothing but waste time, effort, and resources.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina

To cover up what's really going on.

Literally.

Literally... Exactly.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Doesnt it have to be thick lead (as in the metal) to cover such a thing? i could be wrong but im sure thats whet i read somewhere, quite how a fabric tent is going to stop anything but the eyes of the world actually seeing whats going on is beyond me.This incompetance has to be stopped. Tepco need taking off the job immediately and imo the russians who dealt with chernobyl flying in as they learnt alot i believe and with the worlds (Everyones) experts taking over.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
They can hide it all they want. Doesn't matter.

I have common sense. I never needed to 'see' inside anyways.

Rational thought would indicate the basic reality going on.

Several months ago the nuclear fuel lost coolant. So they heated up.

Then they melted.

Cover it up all you want. I can think. I know wtf is going on. It's plain as day.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

maybe you do, but in this world the majority rule, so the bloddy tents will work for them.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

I came back in the house, and pulled this up, and was scratching my head saying "I REALLY thought I posted this already, I wonder why it was deleted"?

Thanks for helping me to stay somewhat sane!!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Ok, great, I saw your avatar and laughed til I had tears in my eyes! Thanks, with the recent Fuku news, I needed a good laugh!

Anyway, so I don't get tagged for being off-topic, I concur. I am extremely angry that they now want to cover it up in secrecy. They won't let GreenPeace sample their ocean water, they lied about Reactor 1 having a hydrogen explosion, which we now know had a nuclear explosion, I can't wait to find out what other little surprises they are hiding. "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore"..........

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I hope that they won't forget to install a pressure valve or the thing blows up...again.

I have a feeling that the general public will see this as progress.

I've send 2 emails to a dutch news agency a few days back asking why they won't report on it anymore. Only thing I got back was an email saying that the message was received and they valued my input, since then nothing.

The Fukushima Daiichi plant needs to slip into the sea before they report on it again.
What we do not know we can not fear.

It's a shame,
OnlyLove
edit on 13/5/2011 by OnlyLove because: (no reason given)

edit on 13/5/2011 by OnlyLove because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Let them have there tents and lets hope they lay out tables and have a banquette, and that the Government and Tepco staff and Shareholders go for dinner there. I guess now I only need a hat to stop radiation from killing me.tents and hats for all.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoyalBlue

Ok, great, I saw your avatar and laughed til I had tears in my eyes! Thanks, with the recent Fuku news, I needed a good laugh!

Anyway, so I don't get tagged for being off-topic, I concur. I am extremely angry that they now want to cover it up in secrecy. They won't let GreenPeace sample their ocean water, they lied about Reactor 1 having a hydrogen explosion, which we now know had a nuclear explosion, I can't wait to find out what other little surprises they are hiding. "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore"..........

It would be foolish of me to not have an avatar that could maybe make at least one person cry!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Japan's government is just like ours. Make the tax payer pay an incredible amount for a corporation's idiotic mistakes and then put an over priced band-aid on a massive hemorrhage. Obviously this is just to hide the problem from prying eyes.

"Meanwhile, the government announced a comprehensive plan to rescue TEPCO and fund compensation claims that are expected to total more than $30 billion."

"The government, as it recognizes its social responsibility in having so far promoted nuclear power policy in coordination with nuclear power operators, is going to support Tokyo Electric Power ... while aiming to minimize the burden on the people," the government said in announcing the plan."

"TEPCO and the government have not released any estimates, but Bank of America-Merrill Lynch has said the total amount could be from ¥2.5 trillion to ¥4 trillion ($31 billion to $49 billion). "

I guess this just proves how clean, green and inexpensive nuclear energy really is and how responsible the energy companies are when the worst case scenario happens. This whole thing certainly makes the transportation and disposal of spent nuclear fuel seem relatively save. TEPCO should be charged with crimes against humanity and the planet earth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join