It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the world so full of hypocrites?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I am writing this post to just say my piece about something that drives me mentally insane.

Why are people of this world such hypocrites?

I thought I would ask this question as, well, we are all people of this world and spend the majority of the time judging others to make ourselves feel better. I am buy no means a "bad-ass" or a derelict of society, I am going back to school for an astrophysics degree, so please keep this to the discussion at hand.

So here we go;

I was reading the recent thread about stealing from corporations, and saw how much people respond with "stealing is bad" "it is against the law" generic, non thought out responses, when, everyone breaks the law at one point or another.

Admit it, even the "good" ones out there have stole something, even if it's little, it's still stealing. 

Ever taken a pen from work and not returned it? THIEF!!

Stealing without malicious intent is still stealing and breaking the law.

I also bring up the argument of marijuana, everyone has done it, well, anyone with friends.
But as we all know it's illegal, so is J-walking, or spitting on the sidewalk (it is here in Canada anyway) so why are these actions not frowned upon as highly as stealing or drug use? 

I know plenty of people that provide alcohol to underage people, whether it be their own kids or their kids friend, an illegal act. I also know plenty of people that have had too much to drink and have jumped behind the wheel of their 4000 pound wrecking machine. 

These are the hypocrites. Everyone is... We have all done something "illegal" at one point or another, so who are we to judge others?

Why is it wrong to steal from a large corporation like Wal-mart when they make their employees work through hirable underpaid conditions? Who wouldn't love to bankrupt Wal-mart?

Why is it wrong for someone to pick a flower and smoke it? When parents blatantly let their children drink, and yet scoff and frown if the find out they have tried recreational drugs? 

Illegal is illegal, there is no grey area. You cannot commit a somewhat illegal act.

Damn hypocrites...

Any thoughts? Give me some opinions, so we can figure out the biggest hypocrites here.

Pred...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Because truth to most people is 'social truth' in the same way that 'political truth' is used, ie when the intellect is there to serve as a regulatory mechanism for the social world - and is subordinate to 'social good'

For 'intellectuals' - truth trumps any social good.

(you could of course do the same with biology/social - ie criminals/citizens)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Generally, people do strive for excellancy.....

I'm sure there's many many people who have never got behind a wheel after even one drink, have never stolen or use illegal substances.

Sorry pal, you're on your own with this one

however I'm not judging you......you are your own conscience!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Nobody is perfect, we as humans have many flaws. I imagine all of us have been hypocritical at some point or another. It's very easy to look down on others for their flaws while ignoring your own. I try my hardest not to throw stones from my glass house, but like most peoples glass houses many of the windows have been shattered. One of lifes great challenges is setting yourself a moral and value code and to try your hardest to stick to it.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by predator0187

Generally, people do strive for excellancy.....

I'm sure there's many many people who have never got behind a wheel after even one drink, have never stolen or use illegal substances.

Sorry pal, you're on your own with this one

however I'm not judging you......you are your own conscience!

No, you missing what I'm saying here. I'm no drinker period, I dislike alcohol so that's out the window. But even if someone has never drank and drive they have still commited illegal actions at one point in their life.

J-walking is still illegal. Everyone has done that. Why is it any different? It is still illegal.

Pred...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Hm. I don't spend a whole lotta time making such brash sweeping judgements, but then I don't believe in the whole good/evil thing- everything is relative for me. Relative to intent, circumstances, etc.

But that said, this was a change in perception that happened to me at a certain point, and that I felt as very traumatizing- like suddenly realizing there's no safety net, we're all on our own, we just must be completely in the moment, completely aware, inside and out, and do the best we can, that's all. I think having belief in a static universal good and evil separation had created a sense of security for me before that.

I got used to it and it actually opened the door to a lot of spiritual growth, but I make sure to hold on to that memory of what that moment was like, so I can still understand and relate to others' need to keep that security blanket, and have compassion for them.

But I obey laws wherever I am, because I feel free to go elsewhere where laws are different if any of them are that important to me. I've been uprooted and the security harness removed so......whatever.

I don't smoke pot though. Used to when I was a teen, but realized that I didn't like being high and stupid. All the rest of my family in the US are potheads. I still have friends though

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
A lot of it is down to the fact that people do not think critically about the cultural or social norms that they have been raised with. It's incredible how many people will just unquestioningly accept something as ''right'' or ''wrong'' because of parental or social inculcation.

Issues such as the legalisation of certain drugs are usually accepted or rejected because of knee-jerk, reactionary responses rather than rigorous and critical examination of the issue at hand.

Circumcision is another issue that brings the hypocrites out. Chop up parts of a young girl's privates, and people are appalled and brand it ''genital mutilation''. Yet, conducting the equivalent primitive procedure on a young boy is considered by many mindless, uncritical thinkers as a ''personal choice''.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Illegal is illegal, there is no grey area. You cannot commit a somewhat illegal act.

Two immediate thoughts.
1. Yes, illegal is illegal, but people are well aware that there are very much grey areas in regard to how "bad" the illegal act is. jwalking is not as "bad" as theft, which in turn is not as "bad" as murder. People can justify illegal acts as "grey" crimes, in the sense that "its not as bad as..."

which brings me to
2. People justify things like that because they have no choice.
Its the way the brain is wired. Freudian defense mechanisms act continuously to protect ourselfs from the truth. The brain will ouright LIE to "you" in order to maintain a falsehood that is more pleasing (like, that you're handsome, smart and a nice person to be around), and (this needs to be highlighted) there is nothing you can do about it.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I think that the people who make the rules should be under more scruteny..

I haven't made a single law... I have had no part in decidng what it right or what is wrong.

To say that "Illigal" is "Illigal" is logical, but flawed.

Morals and ethics both come in to play, and they vary on environment and experience.

As for your example it easier to explain to people like this.

Downloading copywritten songs, is like Copying a patented idea.

It should be fine as long as your not trying to make money off it.

Imagine if the wheel, or fire was patented....

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Tu quoque is a logical fallacy. Calling people hypocrites doesn't invalidate what they say.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Its very easy to point the finger at someone then to admit ones on mistakes

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by john1287
reply to post by 547000

Its very easy to point the finger at someone then to admit ones on mistakes

What does that have to do with the fact that just because some people are hypocrites what they say need not be wrong? It's very easy to say "Well, you steal, so how dare you suggest it's wrong?" But stealing could still be wrong whether they also steal or not.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
Tu quoque is a logical fallacy. Calling people hypocrites doesn't invalidate what they say.

No, nor did I said it did. What it means though is the nasty things they are saying about "criminals" apply to themselves, as they have broken the law before. And because they have broken the law before, they should shut up and think before they speak, something the majority of people have trouble doing anymore.

Pred...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

2. People justify things like that because they have no choice.
Its the way the brain is wired. Freudian defense mechanisms act continuously to protect ourselfs from the truth. The brain will ouright LIE to "you" in order to maintain a falsehood that is more pleasing (like, that you're handsome, smart and a nice person to be around), and (this needs to be highlighted) there is nothing you can do about it.

I disagree with the 'theres nothing you can do about it' attitude when it comes to your thoughts. you have absolute control over your thoughts and what you let slip into your unconscious.

as for people being hypocrits, i think its very easy to think one thing, and do the complete opposite. especially when circumstances change. i mean, how many guys think oh i'll never cheat on this girl, and then as soon as they get sauced up in a hot tub some dirty fun is to be had?

most of the time it is unintentional(a side effect of our natural human stupidity?) and i think a lot of times it has to do with a seperation inside a person, between their thoughts and outside actions, some kind of disillusion maybe.
edit on 13-5-2011 by eloquentmassacre because: relevancy to op

new topics

top topics

join