It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists identify possible human lung stem cell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Scientists identify possible human lung stem cell

news.yahoo.com

Scientists believe they've discovered stem cells in the lung that can make a wide variety of the organ's tissues, a finding that might open new doors for treating emphysema and other diseases.

When these human cells were injected into mice, they showed their versatility by rebuilding airways, air sacs and blood vessels within two weeks. One expert called that "amazing."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
This is great medical news. I don't believe there is a pill that can be made to repair a lung, in that case there is nothing left to do but fix the person so he can go on being a paying customer.

scientists will first look at isolating the cells from a patient, multiplying them in the laboratory, and then injecting them back into the patient's lung.

The mouse experiments showed "the cells are smarter than we are," able to build normal lung structures in an injured lung, he said.

These are adult stem cell, not embryonic, no one should have a problem with this sort of therapy. Imagine being able to repair a damaged lung or rebuild the lung after cancer surgery.

I hope they can move on this quickly. Nice discovery.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12-5-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

This is amazing to see. this field of study is sensitive, but when 1 considers all the death caused and sickness related to lung health its nice to see for some hope exist.

Erongaricuaro thanks for the data.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
this might be some shining hope for all of the children diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis!
For their sake I pray that this comes to be and that the technology does not get squashed by the big Pharms!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Zippidee

Originally posted by Zippidee
this might be some shining hope for all of the children diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis!
For their sake I pray that this comes to be and that the technology does not get squashed by the big Pharms!

My jaw just dropped to the floor. I have CF, and most people just give me a blank stare when I mention it.

Anyway, YES. That would be amazing. We've been awaiting a cure for a very long time.

top topics

join