It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Say They Have Discovered An Entirely New Branch On The Tree Of Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
We had the story about the bacteria thriving in arsenic last year (which I think got debunked in the end, anyone know for sure?) Now scientists have discovered a new form of life that they say should be given it's own kingdom.

Scientists say they have just now discovered an entirely new branch on the tree of life. It's made up of mysterious microscopic organisms. They're related to fungus, but they are so different, you could argue that they deserve their very own kingdom, alongside plants and animals.

Scientists think these newly discovered organisms named "cryptomycota" use their tails to propel themselves whilst searching for food.

Biologists figure they've probably only cataloged about 10 percent of all fungal species. But they thought they at least knew all of the major groups.

A paper being published in the journal Nature says that isn't so. Thomas Richards, at the Natural History Museum in London, says biologists can mostly only study microscopic fungi if they can grow them in the lab.

Because they apparently lack a protein in their cell walls that is a defining feature of fungi, you could argue that they aren't actually a member of the fungus kingdom but deserve an entire kingdom of their own. And before you get too comfortable with the idea that all of these species just hang out in ponds or sediments, James adds, "there could be some human parasites in here eventually discovered."

A New, Somewhat Moldy Branch On The Tree Of Life
edit on 12/5/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Those look like the little ? I would see in the BP GOM videos never got clear on them. Interesting find.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Thanks, Dude or Dudette. Very interesting and important material here. It will be fun as we watch this develop over the next several years. Thanks for the post.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Are they glowing due to some tracer for a contrast effect??? Anyone else reminded of fungi sperm??? lol sorry, just a thought. Aside from the arsenic branch of the family tree...isnt there another branch that can be developed from ammonia? I remember watching an X-files episode that referenced this. Little creatures went into people ears, made them nuts a la wrath of Khan. I thought i had seen something regarding that potential lifeform path? Anyone confirm this???

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyray

Yeah they will probably have been injected with some sort of dye

top topics

join