It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Bush wins..No IRS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
A lot of people lately have been talking about how the IRS is not needed. Could this be the beginning?

www.drudgereport.com
"�If you own property, stock, or, say, one hundred acres of farmland and tax time is approaching, you don�t want to make a mistake, so you�re almost obliged to go to a certified public accountant, tax preparer, or tax attorney to help you file a correct return. That costs a lot of money. Now multiply the amount you have to pay by the total number of people who are in the same boat. You can�t. No one can because precise numbers don�t exist. But we can stipulate that we�re talking about a huge amount. Now consider that a flat tax, national sales tax, or VAT would not only eliminate the need to do this, it could also eliminate the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) itself and make the process of paying taxes much easier."

"By adopting a VAT, sales tax, or some other alternative, we could begin to change productivity. If you can do that, you can change gross national product and start growing the economy. You could double the economy over the next fifteen years. All of a sudden, the problem of what future generations owe in Social Security and Medicare won�t be so daunting anymore. The answer is to grow the economy, and the key to doing that is making sure we have a tax system that attracts capital and builds incentives to keep it here instead of forcing it out to other nations."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 8-1-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Of course,...all the Tax prep companies would lay off everyone, as well as the IRS would lay off thousands and thousands,...and the post office would have nothing to do on April 15th. Lawyers would lose alot of business (bummer
).

The counter effects though would be far to the benefit of the US citizens overall in the long run though.

I can only hope.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!I want that I own taxes and I need a brake.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
A long overdue problem which needs to be solved, funny it comes up during elections, then swept under the rug til we vote again.

I believe in our income tax to fund the price of running the country, not to fund pork projects of individual states dependent on who controls the legislature.

It is way out of control and should be reined in, if states want funding for specific projects, they should go to citizens of their state and see if their populace is willing to fund the project.

Our collective taxes should fund federal mandates and that alone, if these mandates are too overreaching and taking away state's rights then they need to be abolished.

Washington DC is the place with all the power and that power needs to return to the place it belongs.....each individual state.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Most of the problem with pork barrel spending is elected officials bargaining votes for spending in thier states. The problem could also be solved at the state level if a voter awareness project of some kind provided the people a detailed accounting of thier representative's voting record and actually held them accountable for it.

Never happen, though. Wouldn't take long for people to figure out that they make good money when federal contracts come to their state.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
I believe in our income tax to fund the price of running the country, not to fund pork projects of individual states dependent on who controls the legislature.

I found this site: National sales tax

Sounds good but there is nothing that overhauls Congress's ability to waste money. It is irrelevant whether the govt. taxes me on my income or taxes me on my purchases if they continue to work under the "good ole boy system." It also continues to fund SSA in the same fashion without limiting Congress's ability to raid the trust. Oh and did I mention that the rate they came up with is 23%?

I believe that reform is necessary, but unless that reform includes congressional limits on spending and GAO oversight of pork barrel projects, it's pointless.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Good point Bleys, I went off topic and voiced my views on the whole fed tax deal adn was not even applying it to the thread....forgive me for veering off course.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
I went off topic and voiced my views on the whole fed tax deal adn was not even applying it to the thread....forgive me for veering off course.

No you didn't go off topic - your point was right on target. Whether the feds tax us on income, purchases or per pound is irrelevant without changes to the budgeting system itself. I was merely supporting your rant - evidently poorly. (i'll go stand in the corner now)

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Honestly, in the way of tax reform I tend to lean towards proportional representation. This is a GREAT idea the constitution party has.

How it works is like this:

If a state has 5% of the US Population, it is responsible for 5% of the national budget. If a state has 20% of the US population it is responsible for 20% of the national budget... etc....

That way congressmen from their respective states would find ways to decrease spending instead of the opposite that goes on now.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I used to think doing away with the IRS was a great idea. However after reading the details about how a new tax system would run I wasn't so sure. Imagine if you no longer had a mortgage tax deduction, if you have one now but lost it, your taxes would skyrocket. For those who are the wealthiest of the wealthy, they would be really big winners. Capital gains, investments etc. would all go tax free. A flat tax would not get passed into law easily, just look at all the trouble there was recently just to get a capital gains reduction in the tax rate. Then there is excessive out of control spending by congress which is a problem by itself.

If a flat tax system suddenly went into effect, I've read that it could cause a massive recession or even depression as the average person stopped spending money because
1. they knew everything was much more expensive and
2. the average person knew they would get hit with a much larger tax bill overall, except for the wealthy of course.

My opinion of big winners - Bill Gates, the rich in general
losers- the average american with a home mortgage

Everyone could win if the congress and others would have a much lower tax rate and not waste money. I believe 20 something percent is too high.

[Edited on 2-8-2004 by orionthehunter]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I personally am for a flat tax. If you make X amount, you pay Y in taxes. No deductions, no loopholes. Money that is taken out of my check for federal spending, goes only on federal expenses and projects. The state would also take out Z dollars for the X amount that you made, that money would be used for state projects and expenses. The local area, i.e city and county, that you lived in would get Z1 amount of X amount for local expenses and projects.

As for SSA, and other like payments, what was paid into them, could only be used for them, except in a time of dire emergency, and then it would require a 80% vote by both houses of congress and the Presidents signature before any of the funds could be used, and the money could only be used for a specfic use, and only for a said length of time.

As for the IRS folding, I don't see how it would, because there would have to be an established sector of goverment to insure that the taxes were paid, and that the money was deposited in the governments account.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I agree with the flat tax. Everyone pays the same percentage of their earnings. No more withholding from paychecks. Taxes are due for the previous year one day before local and national elections. The problem of government waste will fix itself. Its not happenstance that these two events fall at opposite times of the year.

top topics

join