It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30th Anniversary of Bob Marley's Death !!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Love you man, end thank you for all what you give us ..

“Spread his message of peace, love and equality,”

THIS Wednesday, May 11, will mark the 30th year since the death of reggae icon Bob Marley. The Bob Marley Foundation and the Bob Marley Museum are making preparations to mark this occasion.

Manager of the Foundation and Museum, Jacqueline Lynch-Stewart, remarks that the Marley family promotes the celebration of Bob Marley’s life and as such emphasis is usually placed on the commemoration of his birth. However, due to the significance of the 30th anniversary special arrangements will be made for the commemoration of the date at the museum located on Hope Road.

Flowers will be available for visitors to the museum on Wednesday, May 11, to place at the feet of the Marley statue on the grounds. Interested persons can donate additional flowers for this activity or simply lay their own at the statue. In an intriguing twist, a mento band will provide live rendi

Additionally, donations of non-perishable items in aid of the Eira Schader (Trench Town) and Abuna Yeshaq (Ethiopian Orthodox Church) Golden Age homes will be accepted.

Marley succumbed to cancer in 1981, four years after he was initially diagnosed. He was in Miami on his way back to Jamaica from Germany.

His musical influence has received great attention since his passing. By the end of the last century he was declared one of the most influential musicians of all time. In 1999 Time magazine dubbed Bob Marley and the Wailers’ Exodus the greatest album of the 20th Century, while the BBC named One Love the song of the millennium.

Marley’s contribution to the world, however, far exceeds the brilliance of his musicianship. His music is laced with his revolutionary spirit fusing his insights with proverbial wisdom and the influences of Pan African leaders such as Marcus Garvey and Haile Selassie. His music remains inspiring, finding new audiences among the peoples of the world with whom his embodiment of a natural mystic continues to resonate.

Yet, for his daughter Cedella, it is the man, not the icon, who is most missed. “What I most miss about my father,” she says, “is … my father. The funny, kind, gentle and loving father.” She recalls, “One of my favourite quotes of my dad is, ‘Is not the people we come to play….we come to play music’.”

Marley’s children also continue to keep the Marley name current with their various endeavours and the manifestation of their own talent. Ziggy, Stephen, Damian, Ky-Mani and Julian have successfully embarked on musical careers, while Cedella has explored the world of fashion through the Catch a Fire line. Marley’s face can also be seen on earrings, candles, clothing and numerous items.

While some have seen this as a watering down of Marley’s image as a soul rebel, his continued influence on the struggling peoples of the world belies this. Marley’s philosophies continue to resonate around the world in places like Tunisia, India, Nairobi, and among indigenous people of Australia and North America to whom Marley remains the soundtrack for redemption and revolution.

Stephen Marley has a simple message to all Marley fans to keep his father’s memory burning. “Spread his message of peace, love and equality,” he said.

BOB MARLEY LIVE FOREVER

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
REFERENCES, QUOTES, SAYINGS AND CITATIONS BY BOB MARLEY

Bob Marley Quote # 1: ;(I drive) a jeep. An old jeep, so nobody will say I'm driving a BMW anymore. I couldn't stand that BMW, ha ha ha! BMW make pure trouble! ;

Bob Marley Quote # 2: ;A little wine sometimes, that's all. Spirits (are) bad. Alcohol wrong. Herb does grow ;

Bob Marley Quote # 3: ;Bob Marley isn't my name. I don't even know my name yet ;

Bob Marley Quote # 4: ;But my hand was made strong by the hand of the Almighty ;

Bob Marley Quote # 5: ;Do you admire any women? Dat woman in America...Angela Davis. A woman like that who defends something; me can appreciate that ;

Bob Marley Quote # 6: ;Do you have a record contract? I have a recording agreement. What's the difference? One is an agreement and one is a contract! I am a man who deals by ear ;

Bob Marley Quote # 7: ;don´t forget your history nor your destiny ;

Bob Marley Quote # 8: ;Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold ;

Bob Marley Quote # 9: ;Don't Let them fool ya or even try to school ya ;

Bob Marley Quote # 10: ;Don't worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright ;

Bob Marley Quote # 11: ;Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind.. ;

Bob Marley Quote # 12: ;Every man gotta right to decide his own destiny ;

Bob Marley Quote # 13: ;Every time I plant a seed, He say kill it before it grow, he say kill it before they grow ;

Bob Marley Quote # 14: ;Excuse me while I light my spliff good God I gotta take a lift ;

Bob Marley Quote # 15: ;Facts an' facts, an' t'ings an t'ings: dem's all a lotta fockin' bull#. Hear me! Dere is no truth but de one ;

Bob Marley Quote # 16: ;Free speech carries with it some freedom to listen ;

Bob Marley Quote # 17: ;Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction ;

Bob Marley Quote # 18: ;Here come a man like me saying 'Don't vote!' Rasta no vote ;

Bob Marley Quote # 19: ;Hey mister music, sure sounds good to me I can't refuse it what to be got to be ;

Bob Marley Quote # 20: ;How good and how pleasant it would be before God and man, yeah to see the unification of all Africans ;

Bob Marley Quote # 21: ;How long will they kill our prophets while we stand aside and look? ;

Bob Marley Quote # 22: ;How much do you smoke? Plenty ;

Bob Marley Quote # 23: ;I believe in freedom for everyone, not just the black man ;

Bob Marley Quote # 24: ;I don't stand for the black man's side, I don' t stand for the
white man's side. I stand for God's side ;

Bob Marley Quote # 25: ;I drive a jeep. An old jeep, so nobody will say I'm driving a BMW anymore. I couldn't stand that BMW, ha ha ha! BMW make pure trouble! ;

Bob Marley Quote # 26: ;I go to jail one time for no driver license ;

Bob Marley Quote # 27: ;I handle fame by not being famous...I'm not famous to me ;

Bob Marley Quote # 28: ;I have a BMW. But only because BMW stands for Bob Marley and The Wailers, and not because I need an expensive car ;

Bob Marley Quote # 29: ;I have got a running stream of love you see. So no matter what stages.. they put us through, we'll never be blue ;

Bob Marley Quote # 30: ;I like to see you move with the rhythm; I Like to see when you're dancing' from within ;

Bob Marley Quote # 31: ;I like Wagner's music much better than anybody's. It's so loud that one can talk the whole time without people hearing you ;

Bob Marley Quote # 32: ;I love the development of our music, that's what I really dig about the whole thing. How we've tried to develop, y'know? It grows. That's why every day people come forward with new songs. Music goes on forever ;

Bob Marley Quote # 33: ;I pledged to work for righteousness. God's given me inspiration. God's the boss, he tell me what to do ;

Bob Marley Quote # 34: ;I want to give you some love, I want to give you some good good lovin' ;

Bob Marley Quote # 35: ;I want to say 'I Shot The Police' but the government would have made a fuss so I said 'I Shot The Sheriff' instead...but it's the same idea: justice ;

Bob Marley Quote # 36: ;If I am guilty I will pay ;

Bob Marley Quote # 37: ;If you are the big, big tree, we are the small axe, ready to cut you down! ;

Bob Marley Quote # 38: ;If you get down and quarell everyday, you're saying prayers to the devil, I say ;

Bob Marley Quote # 39: ;I'm a man of God and me come to do God's work ;

Bob Marley Quote # 40: ;in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty ;

Bob Marley Quote # 41: ;In this bright future you can't forget your past ;

Bob Marley Quote # 42: ;Is the foolish dog, bark at the flying bird ;

Bob Marley Quote # 43: ;I've been here before and will come again, but I'm not going this trip through ;

Bob Marley Quote # 44: ;Jah show every mon him hand, and Jah has show I mine ;

Bob Marley Quote # 45: ;Jah will never give the power to a baldhead! ;

Bob Marley Quote # 46: ;Just can't live that negative way... make way for the positive day! ;

Bob Marley Quote # 47: ;Life and Jah are one in the same. Jah is the gift of existence. I am in some way eternal, I will never be duplicated. The sigularity of every man and woman is Jah's gift. What we struggle to make of it is our sole gift to Jah. The process of what that struggle becomes, in time, the Truth ;

Bob Marley Quote # 48: ;Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality . Wake Up and Live! ;

Bob Marley Quote # 49: ;Man can't do without God. Just like you're thirsty, you have to drink water. You just can't go without God ;

Bob Marley Quote # 50: ;Man is a universe within himself ;

Bob Marley Quote # 51: ;Me can't tell you how me know Rastafari. It is pure vision ;

Bob Marley Quote # 52: ;Me never believe in marriage that much...marriage is a trap to control me; woman is a coward. Man strong ;

Bob Marley Quote # 53: ;Me only have one ambition, y'know. I only have one thing I really like to see happen. I like to see mankind live together - black, white, Chinese, everyone - that's all ;

Bob Marley Quote # 54: ;My future is righteousness ;

Bob Marley Quote # 55: ;My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die ;
Bob Marley Quote # 56: ;My music will go on forever. Maybe it's a fool say that, but when me know facts me can say facts. My music will go on forever ;

Bob Marley Quote # 57: ;No bullet can stop us now, we neither beg nor will we bow neither can be bought or sold ;

Bob Marley Quote # 58: ;No man can lead man, we have to have unity ;

Bob Marley Quote # 59: ;None but ourselves can free our minds ;

Bob Marley Quote # 60: ;Oh Mockingbird have you ever heard words that I've never heard ;

Bob Marley Quote # 61: ;One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain ;

Bob Marley Quote # 62: ;Only the fittest of the fittest shall survive, stay alive ;

Bob Marley Quote # 63: ;I'm not educated; I'd be a damn fool if I was (educated)! ;

Bob Marley Quote # 64: ;Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living? ;

Bob Marley Quote # 65: ;Overcome the devils with a thing named love ;

Bob Marley Quote # 66: ;People want to listen to a message, word from Jah. This could be passed through me or anybody. I am not a leader. Messenger. The words of the songs, not the person, is what attracts people ;

Bob Marley Quote # 67: ;Politics no interest me. Dem devil business.... Dem a play with peoples minds. Never play with peoples minds ;

Bob Marley Quote # 68: ;Rastafari not a culture, it's a reality ;

Bob Marley Quote # 69: ;Rastaman vibrations gonna cover the earth! Like the water cover the sea! ;

Bob Marley Quote # 70: ;Rise O fallen fighters, rise and take your stance again, He who fight and run away, Live to fight another day ;

Bob Marley Quote # 71: ;Sometimes you have to fight with music ;

Bob Marley Quote # 72: ;'Tell the children the truth' ;

Bob Marley Quote # 73: ;The authorities tell you that you mustn't smoke herb because it's bad for you. Yet if they catch you at it they'll carry you off to prison. I think it's better to be smoking herb out here free than being in prison ;

Bob Marley Quote # 74: ;The first thing you must know about me is that I always stand what I stand for. Good? The second thing you must know about yourself listening to me is that words are tricky. So when you know what me a stand for, when me explain a thing to you, you must ne ;

Bob Marley Quote # 75: ;The good times of today, are the sad thoughts of tommorrow ;

Bob Marley Quote # 76: ;The harder the battle the sweet of jah victory ;

Bob Marley Quote # 77: ;The more people smoke herb, the more Babylon fall ;

Bob Marley Quote # 78: ;The only truth is Rastafari ;

Bob Marley Quote # 79: ;The power of philosophy floats through my head, light like a feather, heavy as lead ;

Bob Marley Quote # 80: ;The stone that the builder refused to lay should always be the head corners stone. You're a builder baby; here I am a stone ;

Bob Marley Quote # 81: ;To make music is a life that I have to live ;

Bob Marley Quote # 82: ;Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally discredited and abandoned...WAR! So that is prophecy, and everyone know that is truth. And it came out of the mouth of Rastafari ;

Bob Marley Quote # 83: ;We are the children of the Rastaman we are the children of the higher man ;

Bob Marley Quote # 84: ;We should really love each other in peace and harmony, instead we're fussin' n fighting like we ain't supposed to be ;

Bob Marley Quote # 85: ;Well, me don't swim too tough so me don't go in the water too deep ;

Bob Marley Quote # 86: ;What does rasta mean? Righteousness ; ;

Bob Marley Quote # 87: ;When one door is closed, don't you know, another is open ;

Bob Marley Quote # 88: ;When the cats away, the mice will play! ;

Bob Marley Quote # 89: ;When the race gets hard to run. It means you just can't take the pace ;

Bob Marley Quote # 90: ;When You smoke herb it reveals you to yourself. All the wickedness you do is revealed by the herb --- it's you conscience and gives you an honest picture of yourself ;

Bob Marley Quote # 91: ;You ain't gonna miss your water until your well runs dry ;

Bob Marley Quote # 92: ;You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the timeYou can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time ;

Bob Marley Quote # 93: ;You have to be someone ;

Bob Marley Quote # 94: ;You smoke herb in Zimbabwe? Yeh, One night we go to a soldier place and a guerilla call out to me and give me a touch of something...and that was it. No wonder they won the war! Tell ya boy, dem mon smoke some good herb mon! De tell me they smoke that herb and feel brave. Them tell me it make them...invisible ; ;

Bob Marley Quote # 95: Your worst enemy could be your best friend, and your best friend your worst enemy ;

Bob Marley Quote # 96: Man to Man

PEACE MAN END THANK YOU
edit on 11-5-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

S&F he's a true hero, the BBC has some coverage of it now, careful on this thread of the ATS police thou,

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I love you 2 man, tnx ..

Extra concert I feel now, oo00oo0o ..

67 min. of dance, love end freedom ..

One of bests ..

edit on 11-5-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Thank you for posting this...excuse me while I look for my ipod real quick....

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
www.bobmarley.com...

Bob Marley was a hero figure, in the classic mythological sense. His departure from this planet came at a point when his vision of One World, One Love -- inspired by his belief in Rastafari -- was beginning to be heard and felt. The last Bob Marley and the Wailers tour in 1980 attracted the largest audiences at that time for any musical act in Europe.

Bob's story is that of an archetype, which is why it continues to have such a powerful and ever-growing resonance: it embodies political repression, metaphysical and artistic insights, gangland warfare and various periods of mystical wilderness. And his audience continues to widen: to westerners Bob's apocalyptic truths prove inspirational and life-changing; in the Third World his impact goes much further. Not just among Jamaicans, but also the Hopi Indians of New Mexico and the Maoris of New Zealand, in Indonesia and India, and especially in those parts of West Africa from wihch slaves were plucked and taken to the New World, Bob is seen as a redeemer figure returning to lead this.

In the clear Jamaican sunlight you can pick out the component parts of which the myth of Bob Marley is comprised: the sadness, the love, the understanding, the Godgiven talent. Those are facts. And although it is sometimes said that there are no facts in Jamaica, there is one more thing of which we can be certain: Bob Marley never wrote a bad song. He left behind the most remarkable body of recorded work. "The reservoir of music he has left behind is like an encyclopedia," says Judy Mowatt of the I-Threes. "When you need to refer to a certain situation or crisis, there will always be a Bob Marley song that will relate to it. Bob was a musical prophet."

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
What an amazing man. Oh wait, here come the herb nazis to tell us, he was nothing but an idealistic drug addict!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
you should correct your post. rastas dont belive in death. so bob didnt die he simply "moved on"

he is the iron lion in zion!!!!!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
funny thing...

the night of his "passing" me and two friends were driving to the beach to look at the stars and pay some tribute to the dread lock buffalo solidier. i forget what song it was but we were listening to him while driving on a lonley wooded road. it was quite an expierence. and we had a very awsome convesation bout the world,current events and life in general. it was great and i hope other people did the same thing to pay tribute to him.

top topics

join