It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Hand Space Jurisdiction over to Euros!: Europeanizing American Space Activities by Steath

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

In the name of better managing the celestial environment, the Obama administration seems to be on the verge of imposing new international constraints on the American space establishment, without consultation with the Senate.

Sources in the arms-control community inform me that, as part of its National Security Space Strategy released a couple months ago, the White House plans to sign an executive order soon that will compel both the U.S. military and commercial space industry to comply with the European Union “ Code of Conduct” for space activities.

The proposed code is partly a response to the Chinese test of an anti-satellite weapon in early 2007, which created a huge mess in low earth orbit. Such concern was further heightened by the accidental collision between an Iridium communications satellite and a derelict Russian satellite a little over two years ago.

drafted in 2008, with a revision last September, the code seems innocuous enough at first reading, basically forbidding the destruction of satellites and generating debris in low earth orbit. Among other things, it is an attempt by space arms controllers to accomplish what they have never been able to get by formal treaty — a limit on space weaponry. An actual anti-satellite ban has been criticized as unworkable and unverifiable, so instead, they drafted up “rules of the road,” a series of best practices for operating in space.

Historically the U.S., and particularly the Department of Defense, has opposed any treaty banning space weapons, for two reasons. First, there is no current perceived threat of in-space weapons or space-to-ground weapons and hence, no need for such a treaty. Second, co-orbital, direct-launch, or directed-energy anti-satellite technology is so inherently dual-use that it would be unenforceable. For instance, as we saw with the collision in 2009, any satellite can be a weapon, if put on a collision course with another. And as always, such a treaty would have asymmetrical effects, restraining the US while allowing cheating by others. There is also concern that it could establish a precedent for expansion of the principles into other media (e.g., air power).

The White House knows that this will not be forthcoming, because thirty-seven senators, led by John Kyl (R-AZ) wrote a letter to Secretary of State Clinton in February, expressing their own concerns, one of which was the degree to which it would preclude space-based missile defense. Baker Spring at the Heritage Foundation notes that for the White House to sign on to this code without Senate consent would be a violation of the law, and raised other concerns:

Source: pajamasmedia.com...

Hmm, even more Trickery and Tomfoolery from the Obama Administration. It seems that the MSM is AGAIN giving the Obama team a pass by NOT reporting on another important issues that will drastically effect the USA and the NASA programs.

I am not saying Obama is doing it wiht malicious intend to destroy or harm the USA/NASA but more of a money saving way as they do not apparently appreciate the Space Program. I think they want more money to spend in other areas and the esiest way is to pass on the responsibility to someone else. As we did with allowing RUSSIA to be the USA's ride into space as the Shuttle programs are ending.

It just seems to me the OBAMA always takes the easy way out of things instead of continuing the established program. I wouldn't mind it so much if they used any saved funds for the NASA program specifically.

Anyway, what I am saying is it is time for this clown-Obama-to be taken out of office- for the good of NASA if nothing else.
edit on 5/11/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

There already is a formal treaty forbidding weaponising space. It is called the Outer Space Tready of 1967

edit on 11-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I feel sad to say this but:
This feels like it is yet another step in the process of creating the new Roman Empire..

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by zookey

I understand that. But I don't think that comes into play on this.

This is establishing a "Code of Ethics" etc.

More of a guideline than laws/treadys etc.

Besides, any smart country that signed that tready then can now say B.S. With the new info/tech and possible aliens coming etc.

The Give em big weapons Folks will rise to the top. The US will already be there but... not if Obama continues his ways.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
reply to post by anon72

I feel sad to say this but:
This feels like it is yet another step in the process of creating the new Roman Empire..

America is better than the roman empire.

Yeah it's an old empire that did a lot, but damn.
Just because something is old, doesn't make it better.
I doubt the romans were smart enough to split atoms.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DuceizBack

I certainly wasn't saying it was better.. but rather we seem to be following a trend..

I may have used the term "New" Roman Empire.. but really I have no idea what the name will be.. but it does feel like it is happening, this merging in the West. IMHO the EU is only part of it.

and splitting atoms is actually part of my reasoning.. while you guys develop naughty stuff in the UK without your congressional oversight we have done the same on your side without parliamentary oversight.. we has been good for us both..

However the recent treaty between the UK and France now includes the French facilities in that mix! no wonder Obama had to call Sarcozy his new BFF..

And I guess my terming it New Roman Empire was just a catch all... hope that makes sense.. it simply seems to be the (sad) direction our nations are being herded into.
edit on 11/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by zookey

I understand that. But I don't think that comes into play on this.

This is establishing a "Code of Ethics" etc.

More of a guideline than laws/treadys etc.

Besides, any smart country that signed that tready then can now say B.S. With the new info/tech and possible aliens coming etc.

The Give em big weapons Folks will rise to the top. The US will already be there but... not if Obama continues his ways.

So laws/treadys are not guidelines?

That explains why America doesn't seem to follow any of them.

edit on 11-5-2011 by zookey because:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by zookey

That trilateral treaty is no longer valid since the Soviet Union dissolved and collapsed. I'm not certain that the media reporting this as a 'jurisdiction' issue is very accurate. In fact, it may be disingenuously misleading. Jurisdiction implies sovereignty... somehow I doubt any responsible leadership would cede sovereignty in space to a union of states barely two decades old.

The Administration's authority to engage in treaty-making without the benefit of any other branch of government to oversee it is questionable at best.... but since this is all corporate-political theater, they will accomplish whatever their goal is... regardless of how we "the people" feel about it.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by zookey

That trilateral treaty is no longer valid since the Soviet Union dissolved and collapsed. I'm not certain that the media reporting this as a 'jurisdiction' issue is very accurate. In fact, it may be disingenuously misleading. Jurisdiction implies sovereignty... somehow I doubt any responsible leadership would cede sovereignty in space to a union of states barely two decades old.

The Administration's authority to engage in treaty-making without the benefit of any other branch of government to oversee it is questionable at best.... but since this is all corporate-political theater, they will accomplish whatever their goal is... regardless of how we "the people" feel about it.

With all this NWO planning, your arguing over juristiction? Can't they agree?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I agree with Maxmars. To me this just sounds like "Fear Obama" stuff. No one is going to relinquish power. Why do you think Obama never repealed the Patriot Act?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
From what I read, I wouldn't class this as Lawfully binding treaty or contact. Lets face it, IF the US wanted to start playing star wars, they are more than capable.

What do you think their new super secret space plane is doing?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Aren't enough tax dollars being spent on space. I say let the free market handle it, so i can decide where i want my money to go.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dwmjr1985
Aren't enough tax dollars being spent on space. I say let the free market handle it, so i can decide where i want my money to go.

The military gets around 700 billion.

Nasa 20 billion lol

top topics

join