It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birth control pills may scramble sexual attraction hormonal signals between men and women

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
This is interesting Recent studies indicate that birth control pills may scramble the chemistry that makes men and women attract each other.

Much of the attraction between the sexes is chemistry. New studies suggest that when women use hormonal contraceptives, such as birth-control pills, it disrupts some of these chemical signals, affecting their attractiveness to men and women's own preferences for romantic partners.

The type of man a woman is drawn to is known to change during her monthly cycle—when a woman is fertile, for instance, she might look for a man with more masculine features. Taking the pill or another type of hormonal contraceptive upends this natural dynamic, making less-masculine men seem more attractive, according to a small but growing body of evidence. The findings have led researchers to wonder about the implications for partner choice, relationship quality and even the health of the children produced by these partnerships.

Researchers say birth control pills are upending the natural influence of hormones on attraction. WSJ's Shirley Wang reports on a new study in lemurs that show how contraceptives may influence the way the primates pick and choose their mates.

online.wsj.com...

Actually the study applies to males and females of different species, not only humans. It was done on primates and the results extrapolated to humans.
edit on 10-5-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
So does this mean there will be more lesbians in the world from birth control?

Sounds like a plan to me.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

There is discussion on the effects on metrosexuals and why women are attracted to girly-men.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
So does this mean there will be more lesbians in the world from birth control?

Sounds like a plan to me.

Hehe good answer

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Could you provide a link to that disussion? Girly men annoy the hell out of me.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

The WSJ link is in the OP. The article actually refers to them as "less-masculine partners".
The blog entries where I found the link, and the talk radio show I listened to where they were disussing the article, were 'less kind'.
A very amusing discussion from Rush Limbaugh is here:

www.rushlimbaugh.com...

new topics

top topics

join