It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hasidic Newspaper Edits Clinton Out of Iconic Situation Room Photo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Hasidic Newspaper Edits Clinton Out of Iconic Situation Room Photo

www.foxnews.com

A Hasidic newspaper apparently edited Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and one other female adviser out of the iconic photo showing President Obama and his security team watching the raid on Usama bin Laden's compound last weekend.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/241684f4cefe.jpg[/atsimg]

It is always reprehensible when newspapers and other forms of allegedly mainstream media take to hacking up photos for whatever purpose. It is a Stalin-esque habit, and not something that has any place in a free contemporary society (although of course we all know it goes on all the time...but that doesn't mean we have to like it).

In this case, the newspaper is a highly religious one, so they are strongly slanted to begin with, but that's no excuse. They still bill themselves as NEWS, and taking the chop to photos is not news -- it is crude propaganda.

In this case, it is not clear (as of this writing) excactly why they chose to do this. The article suggests religious reasons of "modisty" about the female form and possible dislike of images of women in power -- any women. I wasn't aware that the Hasidic faith held such views about women, which many would be quick to associate with certain other religions, fairly or unfairly as the case may be.

Seeing as they bill themselves as an ultra-religious paper, if they needed to edit it for religious reasons, I suppose I could live with that (although I still find it bizzare and retrogressive, personally), but it is dishonest to simply photoshop people out. A blacked-out sillohuette, for example, with the name included in the caption, would be more honest (if still strange to most people's minds). But to simply photoshop the woman out implies she was never there. Perhaps its time for the paper's editor to dust off his copy of 1984 and ask himself if this is really what he wanted to be when he grew up..

This is a complex issue of gender, relgion, truth, freedom, press...all the elements for a good old fashioned ATS dustup. have at it, folks.

www.foxnews.com

edit on 5/9/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Star and flag.

That is just so ridiculous.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Please continue your contributions at the previously posted thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you. Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join