It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Endciv: Great documentary - !! Must Watch !!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

If we're hit or just about to hit peak oil then i guess civilisation's just going to run out of steam anyway, which would lead to a huge rise in the expenses associated with modern living - i think that alone should put a break on things. Question is will it happen before we trash most of the flora and fauna.

I'm sort of concluding the problems is really human nature, the desire for comfort and an easy life.

Would be nice to see more of a sociological effort in tackling these problems as so far in my life i've never seen a viable alternative that doesn't involve population control of one type or another.

The part of the video about corporate/governmental fusion was intersesting especially in reference to fascist governments, made some valid points about that !

Well there's hope for everyone yet but the next few decades are going to be quite decisive in determining what sort of world we'll hand our kids/grandkids. Ideally not a mono-cultured world of wheat farms and palm oil plantations.

Top marks to the video producer though - haven't been that shook up by a video for a while.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopeforeveryone

If we're hit or just about to hit peak oil then i guess civilisation's just going to run out of steam anyway, which would lead to a huge rise in the expenses associated with modern living - i think that alone should put a break on things. Question is will it happen before we trash most of the flora and fauna.

Even the federal reserve sucking the energy off the people helps to cause part of the social/economic tensions which are required to "wake up", plus it provides a means to positive+negative eugenics. There's more vectors than just peak oil, but you're correct in that it seems to be what broke our bubble (started the recession) last time around, and will continue to do so for the unforeseeable future.

I'm sort of concluding the problems is really human nature, the desire for comfort and an easy life.

Yes, when we look at the whole picture, it's just human nature evolving alongside nature itself. We must evolve our nature, asap.

Well there's hope for everyone yet but the next few decades are going to be quite decisive in determining what sort of world we'll hand our kids/grandkids. Ideally not a mono-cultured world of wheat farms and palm oil plantations.

Top marks to the video producer though - haven't been that shook up by a video for a while.

I seriously doubt that this game can continue on for decades. Years, maybe so, but I don't think decades. There will be little to no fish within a few decades. It won't take until that part that serious ecosystem collapses are realized on land as well. It's all so damned interconnected.
edit on 9-5-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Great video. My question comes down to if we decide to change and stop the machine by any means necessary, what will we then replace industrial insanity paradigm with? What happens next? I totally agree that this madness needs to stop else we are all done for. They talk about sustainable living which is a good term and I like to use it myself, but what are the nuts and bolts of it? You have 3 generations (some less) totally wired into this system. Either way it would be loss of population in a drastic sense. Collapse is already happening all around us, the motion has been set already. Without some sort of organization, what resistance can possibly stand to have any effect at all? Not putting down the effort because something drastic needs to be done, and maybe the militant approach might be one of the ways, but to what means? Fight club is one of my favorite movies and it deals with such a scenario. But without weapons, explosives, training, organization and total commitment how can any dent be made? So frustrating

edit on 9-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

Originally posted by silo13
'It's really really weird. WE have to PAY to exist on this planet. Isn't that weird?'

No.

It's also not true. You're welcome to go live in the woods and eat raccoon. Nobody will charge you, or bother you.

You want a house, food, services? Yeah, you're gonna need to pay for them. And rightly so.

No, actually, you cannot homestead legally. The woods would not be your home and you can be forced to leave at any time by "peace officers". It used to be that you could find some vacant land, till the ground, grow food, build a home and be left alone...not so anymore.

About the doc, it is great, I encourage everyone to watch Derrick Jensen's youtube videos of his endgame presentation. It is true, we are dangerously headed down a path of destroying our landbases.
edit on 9-5-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I can only agree, i think we're on the same page :

I seriously doubt that this game can continue on for decades. Years, maybe so, but I don't think decades. There will be little to no fish within a few decades. It won't take until that part that serious ecosystem collapses are realized on land as well. It's all so damned interconnected

More i think about it it's like that biology experiment where bacteria eats all available food then has a major population crash. It's like on a world wide scale we're just as unthinking as bacteria. Easter Island is a good example of what can happen. People use up all the resources then have a population crash. Not sure of the timing but I think a years is maybe a bit pessimistic but decades might be a bit optimistic - if anything we should be thinking weeks so maybe things can start changing.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

True, we need to get the greatest brains on the planet working on this one. It's something i've been thinking about is the actual mechanics behind change, whats needed and how to implement it. How do we replace the current economical system without totally destabalising the world. As much as I hate the idea maybe a one world government might be the only way we'd have a chance. Put limits on personal fortunes, limit the political power of corperations, develop new power souces, ban fishing in huge parts of the ocean, contol the use of trees for now outdated things like newspapers, protect nature more by having areas nobody can live in or exploit. What's really got to hapen is we as a species have to get scared and see whats around the corner.
edit on 9-5-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: typo fixing

top topics

<< 1   >>

join