It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May announces plans to cut police bureaucracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Theresa May announces plans to cut police bureaucracy

www.bbc.co.uk

She said the plans marked a "watershed moment" in policing and could save up to 2.5 million police hours each year.

The Home Office's plan would allow police officers, rather than the Crown Prosecution Service, to decide whether to press charges in up to 80% of cases, with some people being charged by post.

The home secretary said the reforms would "send a clear signal that the professional judgment of individual officers is valued and it is expected".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
"I AM THE LAW!"

Does anyone else agree that we should have Judge Dredd on the streets of the UK?

Under these reforms, Theresa May is suggesting that British Police Officers should have (80% of the time) the power to charge people with crimes as well as arrest them. No longer will independent judgement be carried out by the Criminal Prosecution Service, who would fairly and rationally, assess and evaluate the suitability of evidence - in actually charging potential criminals. Noooo, our home secretary doesn't think rationality, fairness of impartiality are suitable components for a justice system.

So, if a police officer doesn't like you, not only can he manufacture and manipulate evidence to arrest you, that faulty evidence can then bypass scrutiny and be used against you in court, all at the whim of the fascist pig who created it.

"Surrender or DIE perp!"

REMEMBER IAN TOMLINSON.

The Revenant.

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
The police are corrupt enough as it is, handing them more power would just make it many times worse. This doesn't sound like a good move to me at all.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I completely agree. In the case of Ian Tomlinson (innocent man murdered at the G20 protests in London), the police officer in question showed NO good judgement, and NO responsibility. Police Officers don't deserve any more power at all, they have to much now.

Rev.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
2.5 million police hours each year? LOL!

Just think, they'll have more time to spend floating around the local ASDA or Morrisons picking up their buns and soft drinks (being honest here that's where I see most police around this area)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by chiptrim

Not only will they pick up those buns, they will then be able to JUDGE them on the spot - a sentence of DEATH, to be washed down with 7UP.

Rev.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Revenant

"I AM THE LAW!"

Does anyone else agree that we should have Judge Dredd on the streets of the UK?

Under these reforms, Theresa May is suggesting that British Police Officers should have (80% of the time) the power to charge people with crimes as well as arrest them. No longer will independent judgement be carried out by the Criminal Prosecution Service, who would fairly and rationally, assess and evaluate the suitability of evidence - in actually charging potential criminals. Noooo, our home secretary doesn't think rationality, fairness of impartiality are suitable components for a justice system.

So, if a police officer doesn't like you, not only can he manufacture and manipulate evidence to arrest you, that faulty evidence can then bypass scrutiny and be used against you in court, all at the whim of the fascist pig who created it.

"Surrender or DIE perp!"

REMEMBER IAN TOMLINSON.

The Revenant.

www.bbc.co.uk
here in the uk they still have overpopulation in the prisons and its getting worse especially with more muslims going to prison and and having to accomodate them to their beliefs,if u think im lying google it..oh yeh these muslims are causing more pressure on the nhs e.g muslim women giving birth have to have their beds turned to face their god, private rooms, certain foods..id could say more but i dont want to be deemed as racist, but ive seen this with my own eyes

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

This extra police time will be the undoing of them!

They cannot forsee the impact of the calorie count going upwards, in six months these police officers will not be able to run the length of themselves LOL!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

It's good that you have an opinion, but please don't derail this thread with talk about Muslims. This is about civil rights, and a corrupt and fascist police culture - NOT Muslims.

The Rev.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I watched Theresa May, such a twee name, telling us that she trusts the police everything must be done to make it easier for them and how awful it is that they have to fill in forms for thing like burglary. Next the newsreader came on saying that Mr T's family were angry that evidence had not been passed from one group of police to another.

Why my ears pricked up was it concerned the thrusting to the ground by said officer of Mr T. Now this evidence was seen on national tv. I've seen it half-a-dozen times because it was caught by one of the street cameras, yet from what the newsreader said, it had not been brought before the court.

There are also prosecutions of our local police interfering with evidence, you can bet your boots thats the tip of the iceberg.

People don 't seem to realise that the Police are a private company with their accounts a Company House. Whereas we once had a honourable British Bobby, we now have the career hardnosed cop. He wants his perks, his special mortgage, overtime all the things that make his job worthwhileand that means successful prosecutions. It seems also that the calibre of officer has changed, some, not all, seem like bullies who wouldn't fit elsewhere. Their Saturday nights are spent ogling at the young girls and lads outside the pubs and clubs and just waiting for the inevitable easy arrest of drunken teenagers. Sure some wee girl might put up a fight but she's hardly in the range of the harden armed criminal. I'm not saying its OK drunken kids but we all use to go home after a night out having had a good laugh,there was hardly any police presence, today the police posture and stare at the kids almost to try to provoke them.

I think Theresa May has forgotten when the Police entered the Houses of Parliament and also that many of the public today might not want their police given any further powers so they can drive quicker towards a police state. She seems a little out of touch with Was it Ken clarke's idea of closing down some of our prisons. We'll need double the amount soon.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Lynda101

Hear hear fellow member of TPUC!
)

Excellent post.

Rev.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lynda101

People don 't seem to realise that the Police are a private company with their accounts a Company House.

The thing to remember is this….

The Police are a gang……and you’re NOT in it!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Revenant

It's good that you have an opinion, but please don't derail this thread with talk about Muslims. This is about civil rights, and a corrupt and fascist police culture - NOT Muslims.

The Rev.

your right i opologise i went of topic...dave

its just that police can arrest wenever but no room in the prisons so they are letting child molesters and muggers out early...again sorry....dave
edit on 9-5-2011 by davesmart because: add more

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

It's cool mate - that's what ATS is for. If you think you have something worth bringing to the table, make a thread about it.

Rev.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
What we need is a police force, policing and applying the law in equal measure to everyone, irrespective of status or ethnicity.
What we have right now is a highly politicized police force, governed by clueless idiots (many of whom never spent 5 minutes on the beat) and trying to run things as a business, applying business models and targets. They were told many years ago that was no way to run the service, but they were all so focused on climbing to the top and getting ever more braid on the uniforms and perhaps a shot at a gong come retirement time, that nothing else mattered.
The rot really started setting in from around the mid 90's onwards, as I saw many of the local police officers that I knew start leaving the force in disgust at how things were being run and the business models being introduced. Many of these officers were well known, respected and liked by those that knew them. What they were replaced with were incompetent idiots - some of whom had previously been rejected - but taken on anyway to replace the large numbers of older officers leaving.
Policing was turned into a revenue generation exercise with no leniency or common sense approach tolerated. Where the old school officers would send someone on their way with a talk, and be thanked for it later, the new approach was for zero tolerancy and arrests / fines. At the same time, there was also a noticeable trend in moving away from simple investigations to simply issuing a "crime number" for the quarterly stats and the insurance companies. Hardly in the spirit of ol' Sherlock now is it?

So, Theresa May comes out and states the "Bleedin' obvious", and expects praise? I'll reserve judgement and praise until I see a marked change in policing and police policy... and hopefully the removal of the business model approach and a few senior brass!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The evidence will still have to be decided by a court, but this will mean that you're just shifting time from one area to another...The court system is already overloaded and this will just mean more cases that get sent to a court only to be thrown out for lack of evidence...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Really trying not to be flippant here (it’s not easy) but honestly I rarely see a police officer around here on the street.
We have a local sheriff court less than a mile from here with a nice police station stuck on the end of it and where are the boys in blue?

You’ll see them ‘proceeding’ in pairs around the local shopping centre, looking after the corporate interests and occasionally (as I stated earlier) buying buns and juice in the local supermarkets, seriously.

The only exception to this normality is when they can be found secreted in their camera van situated on the nearby dual carriageway.

Gives new meaning to ‘undercover’ policing.

What would really worry me is the policing in inner cities from now on, the likes of Glasgow where I have experienced unwarranted provocation from the police.

If they want you…..they’ll damn well have you.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiptrim
What would really worry me is the policing in inner cities from now on, the likes of Glasgow where I have experienced unwarranted provocation from the police.

If they want you…..they’ll damn well have you.

This is exactly the problem. If THEY want you, they will have you. Law or legality doesn't come into it any more.

We live in the world of V for Vendetta.

The Rev.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

In which case, nature will take its course and there will be individuals bigger and badder than me who will not tolerate abuse, possibly resulting in retaliation to some extent. This retaliation will probably not include complaints to the police commision, letters to their local MP or lawyers letters.

Some people are like that....

An indication of the high opinion our police force are held in was readily seen last year when that unfortunate policeman was shot and killed in Cumbria by Derrick Bird. Mr Bird was acclaimed in some circles and it is these kind of individuals with that mindset who might be the start of it.

That would be those who were supportive of this killer when he was 'on the run' which I refer to as the possible initiators of retaliation.

edit on 9-5-2011 by chiptrim because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This BBC Article sheds some light on exactly how the police are behaving with specific regard to Ian Tomlinsons case...

The police watchdog says it will investigate claims the City of London force failed to pass on key evidence in the days after Ian Tomlinson's death.

Within 48 hours of the incident at the G20 protests, three Met officers told their bosses they saw an officer push the newspaper seller to the ground.

The IPCC, which has released a report on the death, is to examine why it was allegedly not given that information.

Not good at all.

The Revenant.

new topics

top topics

join