It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man jailed for tortilla dough Deputies charged him with cocaine possession

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Man jailed for tortilla dough Deputies charged him with coc aine possession

www.citizen-times.com

the 45-year-old carpet cleaner found himself in the Buncombe County jail under a $300,000 bond on charges of driving while intoxicated, failing to heed police lights and sirens and possession of 91 pounds of coc aine.

He was released four days later after sheriff's deputies realized Hernandez, who said he doesn't drink at all, wasn't intoxicated and that what was in the back of his truck was exactly what he had said — $400 worth of cheese, shrimp and tortilla and tamale dough meant as a gift to his sister.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+7 more 
posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
There is SO much wrong with this story, but what I want to know is how they confused "cheese, shrimp and tortilla and tamale dough" with coc aine, and why it took them FOUR DAYS to notice it wasn't coc aine.

Also, why was he charged with 'driving while intoxicated' when they admit that 'several tests' for alcohol came back negative.

Moral of the story, dont drive a car through the South if you are brown.

www.citizen-times.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
either the cops are idiots or racist. Either way they do not serve the community. SOmeone should put them in jail for having 400 pounds of ignorance.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
That is so sad. I know there are a lot of good cops out there and I salute them for their service but there are also some dumb son of ******* out there who don't even need to be in this profession because they lack common sense. I would like to know...who in the world did their psychological evaluation and who was their training officer? Both need to be fired. Also, why did it continue once he was booked in and the tests for the breathalizer or blood test revealed? It looks like it ended up a case of "Now what do we do?"

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
All I can say is ... what the hell?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Four days to figure out it was not coc aine. What happened to those little test kits that give nearly instant results? Were these cops too retarded to figure out how to use them?
edit on 5-7-2011 by groingrinder because: Edited for clarity.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
just...

I hope that man can find himself a decent lawyer!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

No, I suspect they figured it out pretty quick, but took a few days to figure out how to clean up the snipstorm they created. When they saw there was no way to pretend it never happened, they stuck him in front of a judge, gave him 'time served', and set him free, hoping it will all blow away.

Keep this story alive and dont let it 'go away'.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Four days to figure out it was not coc aine. What happened to those little test kits that give nearly instant results? Were these cops too retarded to figure out how to use them?

Do you think they needed to test it? What about eyes, do they work?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
reply to post by groingrinder

No, I suspect they figured it out pretty quick, but took a few days to figure out how to clean up the snipstorm they created. When they saw there was no way to pretend it never happened, they stuck him in front of a judge, gave him 'time served', and set him free, hoping it will all blow away.

Keep this story alive and dont let it 'go away'.

You are correct, they are hoping it will all blow away and that he is too uneducated to know, that is why they gave him "time served" on the misd charge LOL! ( and I'd be willing to bet they got an interpreter to make him believe they were doing him a favor by going easy on him)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by groingrinder

Do you think they needed to test it? What about eyes, do they work?
Maybe they were rookies turned loose on their own. Also, why didn't the officers conduct field sobriety tests? or do a Gaze Nystagmus ? Where was the patrol sgt?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chesster
either the cops are idiots or racist. Either way they do not serve the community. SOmeone should put them in jail for having 400 pounds of ignorance.

Not for ignorance, for perjury.

They took an oath, they failed to uphold. That's perjury.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Something with this story doesnt sound right at all. I did notice that aside from the chiefs comment, all the info came from the victims side. Not being able to remeber a 4 day period is a red flag and can denote medical, psychological as well as possible drug use and sife effects.

I am not sure how he can be found guilty of a crime if he never went to court or entered a plea. Trying him without him being present is a clear violation of due process.

Im not sure why or what was rushed through the lab process. A field test kit could have resolved part of the proboem, but they would still need to have a crime lab analysis for offical evidentiary acceptance.

Nothing in this incident sounds right at all.. on either side.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Something with this story doesnt sound right at all.

I concur.

Ever get the feeling protocol just isn't being followed?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

I don't see why it took them four days to release him.

But I can sort of see the confusion in what happened, from the OP story:

In Asheville, he pulled over after he thought he saw steam coming from his truck. A deputy's car approached and an officer told him he couldn't stop there because he was blocking traffic, Hernandez said. He started driving away and put his flashers on. The law enforcement car followed him with its lights on. Hernandez said he thought the car was shepherding him in the direction the officer wanted him to go. But ahead there were other law enforcement cars blocking his way. Investigators' incident reports say stop sticks were used, but Hernandez said he doesn't remember seeing them or noticing his tires being deflated until seeing his truck days later in the impound lot.
So he saw the lights but because he had already talked to the officer who told him to move, he didn't understand they wanted him to pull over. I'm sure there are some more details we need from the other side of the story to figure out exactly what happened there. But I do have a couple of observations:
1. I'll bet he was exhausted. He drove 2000 miles in 3 days, so that was probably a contributing factor.
2. Another contributing factor was probably the language barrier. He's been in the US well over 20 years and still doesn't speak the language. If I lived in another country for 2 years I'm sure I'd be speaking the language in 2 years. Heck, any 5 year old can speak the language enough to get by.

So I can understand the mixup to some degree. What I can't understand is the 4 days of detention, that seems totally ridiculous. The police are to blame for keeping him way too long, causing him to lose his food, and having to pay excessive fees to recover his truck. But I also think it might be a good idea for him to learn the language of the country he's living in.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

im sure a monkey could help him win this case. Cop fail if ive ever seen one

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Chesster

Right on both counts

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Messed up!

I can't help but laugh... I'm sorry...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

guilty until proven innocent. thats how it works in a police state. get used to it caise its only getting worse, unless we take our country back.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The 4 days of detention could stem from his time of arrest (although it still sounds goofy). I have seen people sit in jail on extended weekends because they couldnt find a judge (goofy reasons that still torque me off - If Police work 24/7/365 so should PA's and judges).

I am still not sure what the hell the cops think they are doing. Dough being mistaken for coaine... really? Being found guilty of a charge without ever going to court.

I still get the impression that we arent gettting the entire story. None of this makes any sense, from either side. Has anyone else been abnle to find any other info?

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Not for ignorance, for perjury.

They took an oath, they failed to uphold. That's perjury.

Perjury is when a person lies under oath... In this case I am not even sure what the hell is going on on the side of the police, but if any of the guys story is true, perjury is going to be the least of the officers problems.

As far as the picture you posted, quit stereotyping... Its gets old and adds nothing to the thread / debate.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join