It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crackling Sound

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Has anyone ever heard an unidentifiable crackling sound? I want to say it's like the type of sound you might hear from static electricity but it's a bit sharper than that. I've been hearing the sound for the last hour or so, have turned off all TVs and electronics (except computer which is on my lap) in trying to rule them out, and I'm still hearing it. Also, I can't figure out where it's coming from directionally (I'll think it's coming from one location but when I walk over to the spot, it changes to another location). It's nothing constant - sporatic at best - but it's starting to drive me a bit nuts so I was wondering if anyone else has ever encountered anything like this?

Timidgal

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by timidgal
Has anyone ever heard an unidentifiable crackling sound? I want to say it's like the type of sound you might hear from static electricity but it's a bit sharper than that. I've been hearing the sound for the last hour or so, have turned off all TVs and electronics (except computer which is on my lap) in trying to rule them out, and I'm still hearing it. Also, I can't figure out where it's coming from directionally (I'll think it's coming from one location but when I walk over to the spot, it changes to another location). It's nothing constant - sporatic at best - but it's starting to drive me a bit nuts so I was wondering if anyone else has ever encountered anything like this?

Timidgal

Nothing to report here in Ohio .. but it's impossible to get total silence, there's a bit of a storm going on right now

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Thanks for replying miniatus but it sounds like it's emanating from within my apartment. Just really weird and one those things that make you feel unsettled. Hopefully it will stop soon.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I'd say walk outside, to check if it's not something bigger, or turn off all electronics including alarm clocks or radios in your house to eliminate any source.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I would quickly have someone else verify the sound, and if they do call the fire department. You could have a fire in your walls or ceiling.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mnemicrsl

Both good suggestions and had already turned off all electronics except for my computer. Lesson learned by the way - a person can hear ALL KINDS of creepy (and probably imaginary) things when sitting in the complete dark with nothing on.
Am going to follow your advice and take a walk outside - if nothing else, it'll help me shake the heebeegeebees I've now created for myself.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by bourbon2nite

Oh #. Now THAT makes sense.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by timidgal
reply to post by bourbon2nite

Oh #. Now THAT makes sense.

Just my luck that he didn't hear it but he was kind enough to walk outside with me for a bit. Nothing out there other than the usual but he did mention to me that the woman who lived here previously used to hear weird sounds all the time and thought the apartment was haunted. Just my luck!! Anyway, all good suggestions guys and I appreciate it. I'll be vigilant about it but I'm putting the TV back on - a little white noise will do me some good right about now. Hope you folks in Ohio are fairing well through the bad weather - didn't mean to overlook that comment before...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I would try turning off your laptop, I've heard wierd sounds of "frequency", and once I turned off electronics and was still there, I resorted to my laptop and turned it off, after a couple of minutes it went away...It doesnt go away right away though, but if you have a fan, it might also help to turn on if it persists, just to drown out the sound thats bothering you if nothing is wrong with fires in your walls or ceiling that is

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

The frequencies which crackling sounds are made of are generally high pitched and so we use both ears to locate the sound in 3d space.

If the sound cannot be located and it contains these higher frequencies, then it may be that only one ear is hearing it and that's why you can't locate it.

Try blocking one ear at a time with a cotton wool bud soaked in petroleum jelly (Vaseline). (Safety first though, don't put the cotton ball inside your ear, just block up the earhole on the outside). If the sound goes away (substantially) with one ear blocked, then the sound is being generated in one ear and is likely from physiological source rather than an externally audible sound.

There are a number of conditions (like Tinnitus) where apparent sounds are percieved but are intenal.

If you feel the sound is too loud or otherwise a problem, audiologists can "listen" with super sensitive microphones inside your ear to tiny sounds that your ear mechanism creates and in that way hear what you are hearing and then determine what can be done about it.

edit on 7/5/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone for your great insights. I'm glad to say it's been more than an hour since I heard anything so I think whatever it was has passed (for now at least). Again, thanks for the camaraderie and have a peaceful sleep!!

Timidgal

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Just a quick update on this situation because some strange things have happened since. That night, all was quiet, as it was for another day or two. On Thursday, I was doing some work in my living room during he late morning and heard another strange sound, definitely from somewhere within the the apartment. This type, I can only compare to someone ripping a large peice of paper. I was immersed in my work and didn't get up to investigage. It happened again a little later in the afternoon but to a lesser degree and by that point, I was growing used to these strange sounds and assumed that there had to be a logical explanation for it. For the last several nights, I've been sleeping on my couch in the living room due to a bad back I've always likened my apartment building to an old hotel or a BB in which an old house was converted to various separate apartments, each unique. Anyway, when I first moved into the apartment, I witnessed a centerpede coming in under a rather large gap in my door and freaked out. I called the landlord and had him install some wooden stripping to block the underside. I tell you this so you understand that it's become second nature for me to look at the door to make sure nothing is slithering through the bottom (yuk!). As I'm lying on the couch last night, I'm facing the apartment door directly. For liability purposes, the landlord keeps strong lights on in all the hallways 24/7. On Monday, I checked the door to make sure I had locked it and didn't notice anything unusual. I can't remember if I checked it on Tuesday but I do remember having to pull hard to have it close and then wiggle the key to get the door to lock when I went out during the day. On Wednesday night, I was drifting off to sleep and noticed that the light coming through the surrounding of the door looked different. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that left side of the door esd butt tight against the jam, the upper right section now had a sizable gap not there before and the top and bottom seen to be crocked. I've also noticed other things in the apartment that were askew. I had some pictures on the walls that needed to be straighted and two large bookcased weighed down with heavy books are were definitely tilted to the left. I was wondering if anyone thought it's possible that there was some type of ground shift that might have caused the house to lean to one side. I've tried to check with other neighbors but not too many people have been around. My immedate neigbors on my floor (top floor which used to be the attic before being converted into an two apartments, said that they haven't noticed any door misaligments but have been having problems over the last few days with some of their appliances and when maintenance came to check, they found that certain connections had become dislodged. Lastly, there are three dogs in the building and each time their owners go out, they each start to bark and flair endlessly on the inside door as if their lives depending on getting out. At first I thought it was knocking but soon realized it was the poor dogs scratching at the front door. This never happened before. I'm not sure of any of these things are related but Im really wondering if there has been some type of ground shift. I realize that old houses are prone to shifting but this seems have have happened suddently and quite drastically. Has anyone else noticed anything unusual over the last few days? Thanks for your responses.

Timigdal.

Timidgadl

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I can only speak from one experience that I had with a door becoming misaligned. It was an office that I worked in back in the 90's. The company I worked for owned but building but was letting the basement out to some other company.

I think it was a Monday (it was shortly after the weekend anyway) and I happened to go to the toilet and I struggled to close and lock the door. After I finished I went back to my office and said what had happened and asked others to check it out. They too found it hard to close properly. Now working for a building and civil engineers I went and spoke to one of the guys that worked in the office.

Anyways to cut a long story short, the company that was renting the basement had decided to take out one of the walls and it turned out to be a supporting wall. Needless to say support was brought in and the company were given a right good bollocking.

Only other thing that i can think of with your door is that a lot of moisture will cause a wooden door to swell and become "stiff" in the jam; we get it after a lot of rain and then as it becomes drier it shrinks again.

I hope you find out soon whats happening in your apartment.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ficargul

All excellent points, Ficargul, and I appreciate the response. I checked and the door is definitely solid wood so your theory about swelling is very possible. As for the other, I think I better question the landlord about this tomorrow because the consequences of such stupidity could, literally, be the end of me.
Thanks again!

Timidgal

new topics

top topics

join