It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universe size is beyond our imagination! .... And yet we are alone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Check this out, this is really amazing....

Credits: Adams Crowe - Flickr

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
S & F!!!!

Great post!!!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Yes i feel incredibly small right now, even smaller than my 5 foot 1. Bearing in mind the sun is enormous, it was mind boggling to see it compared to the larger stars. This is why i believe than we must have a soul, we must be more than just matter. Well done OP, tidy little science lesson.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Drake Equation: N = N* fp ne fl fi fc fL

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
That's it! We're just too small for aliens to find us.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
i feel insignificant!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
makes you feel small, makes me feel powerful living amongst giants.

2 theories.

there are half as many species as there are stars

there are no other species then us

i'm leaning towards the first personally.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
In my opinion, the answer to the question of your thread is not necessarily that we are alone in the universe - it's just that if there is life out there they are likely just as unaware of us as we are of them. We are obviously an insignificant little speck in the infinity of the universe. Why would we be so arrogant to assume that if there is other life out there that it must be visiting us?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tetsuoatx
Drake Equation: N = N* fp ne fl fi fc fL

In this case the answer came before the question - the answer is the Fermi Paradox.

Line two.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Yes I always feel so insignificant when I read about space.
I question only one thing about alien existance:

Will we find an alien civilization first or more animal like life forms first? I personally lean toward animal life forms for the moment. We were once dominated by animal life ourselves and human existence is but a small blip on the universe throughout its existence. But animal life forms have been very quick to evolve and have spread and diversified so much, and it makes me believe that we will be seeing this in the century to come if we focus on expanding our space exploration technology. Though I hope that an advanced form of life could come down and help us out a bit.....kinda get things kick started lol Sometimes its not always about the results though, its the journey getting there.

There's life out there, and its safe to assume we have no idea what awaits us.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I hate and love posts like this.

I hate it because it just really shows how insignificant we are on a grand picture. Our star isn't even close to being the size of some stars floating around. We're not even in the middle of our own Galaxy, and our Galaxy isn't even in the middle of a big cluster. We're honestly just off to the side doing our own thing.

At the same time, I love these posts because it just makes the mind go. Think of all the possibilities out in the universe. Man, I wish I could fast forward and be around when we actually start figuring things out, and stop worrying about oil and starting wars everywhere. I'll be looking at the night sky next chance I get and just smiling!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
maybe the reason we are alone in the universe is because were the antisocial neighbours of the universe, and maybe the only other civilizations who would want anything to do with us are intergalitic rednecks or intergalactic drugdealers,

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
we would run out of numbers if we tried to count how many galaxys there are, and i said galaxys not stars. so then think how many stars there are, and then think how many planets there are.

googolplex is still way to small of a number

i think space is so huge, not even huge, so infinite! that if we went looking for life in a space craft, we would never stop finding life...

if space = infinte then, life = infinte

edit on 5/7/2011 by ashtonkusher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Universe size is our imagination! want to find the end of the universe, find the edge of the mind. all is the dimension of mind..

kx

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The size is unreal, hard for my mind to get around. However, is there a chart of stars that are smaller than our own? or is ours the smallest?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

AMAZING! I can't even wrap my head around it...it's crazy...

I definitely don't think we are alone in the universe! We just can't be...thinking about the universe always has my brain in knots...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Also given the size of the other stars and planets, whos to say the life forms on them - if indeed there are any - are in relative size to their star, so some could be HUGE.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

This theory should be called Interstellar Travel Paradox. That's the constant basis for its contradicting argument.
edit on 7-5-2011 by tetsuoatx because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join