It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you be hypnotised?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
After reading another post on a theory of hypnosis, I was wondering if there was any correlation between a person who cannot be hypnotized to a person who is considered a "conspiracy theorist" or at least someone that doesn't believe everything the TPTB tell them.
I myself have been to several hypnotherapists, both the professional type, ie psychologist and the other, stop smoking, metaphysical etc. and have never been able to be hypnotized. I am also a lucid dreamer, and have been told that may have something to do with why, but I'm not sure about that.
So, I was wondering, can or have any of you been hypnotised?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I have built a hypnotic script that I used during college that increased my memory and reading speed. I recorded it myself and played it during sleep time. The thing about hypnosis is that if the programming goes against your core personality then you will reject it. All hypnosis is really self hypnosis, remember this.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

It only works on people that are easily suggestable. People will very little will of their own.

Personally i don't think its possible to hypnotise someone like myself. I'd always be questioning what's happening at every moment. Plus i just don't trust people in general so it wouldn't be possible without that trust.

Weak minded people are easily suggestable

No offence to anyone of course.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'm both highly "hypnotizable" and just as skeptical as the next tin-foil-hat wearing, non-sheeple conspiracy theorist in the room. I believe that the propensity for being hypnotized is more a matter of brain physiology than personal inclination.

Brain imaging technologies such as MRIs and PET scans have allowed scientists to view the brain of the subject during hypnosis. These studies show that the left brain, which is generally the center of activity when a person is awake, slows a bit in activity, and that the right brain, generally considered to be the creative hemisphere, shows an increase in activity during hypnosis.

Although these are just preliminary studies that need a lot more research, the results are exciting in that they obviously indicate that the brain is experiencing some sort of change during hypnosis.

Article source

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

If that is true, which I suspect it is, that would make sense for what I was thinking about with people who do not believe everything they are told.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I personally think that the whole population is hypnotised. When I go out in public all I see is people oblivious to the reality of the state of the United States economy. All I see is people "buying" $200,000 houses, new cars with a ridiculous payment for 7 years. With a crappy job that might not be there in 2 years.

It seems that social stature comes before sustainability. We are hypnotised to by the Nike and Polo clothes, when the non name brands work just as good. I see it all around me.

When I was able to enter the chat room on ATS.,,,all I saw was everybody talking about their new I-phone and new tech toy they got...How they were all out partying the night before..... I have not been back since.... This is an example of the Hypnotism that we are all under and do not even know it......You need that new 4 G phone. It keeps you connected all of the time.

We are all hypnotised. Believe it.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I think everyone can be hypnotised personally wether your willing or forced. I even think to the extreme that we are all hypnotised daily and don't even know it sometimes, those of you who are enlightened and be watching TV, when you see adverts coming on telling you to buy this that and the other, this in a way is hypnotising you and forcing many to go out and buy these stupid material things and is just one example.

Just my opinion, I notice it alot on TV.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Nope, not all of us...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

LOL well then, I guess I don't have anything to worry about even with "public hypnosis." I don't want the latest toys, clothes, hell I don't even have the internet at home.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

So I wonder if they did a scan on people that cannot be hypnotized, if they would show a higher right brain activity in a normal state? Very interesting and I will be doing some research.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Most what you say is true, but not everyone falls for this stuff. Some still think farther.
Like Akragon, I like to believe this is true. That I don't feel suggestible.

Maybe it's from my zodiac sign, Libra, but I always question everything.
I see the good in all bad and the bad in all good. I weight every situation and it makes my opinion.
I'm so used to doing this, been like this all my life, I have problems just "accepting" stuff.

So I don't think I could be easily fooled by MSM or things like this, but I see it too.
I see manipulated human natural resources every day, that solve their emotion problems with useless junk.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I've allowed myself to be hypnotized for recreational purposes, and I don't consider myself weak willed or weak minded.

Typically, if you are aware of the hypnosis and actively resist, it will not work. If you regularly practise critical thinking, it can be much more difficult to hypnotise you without your "consent", not meaning that you only have to say "Ok, you can hypnotise me," but you have to essentially let your guard down and allow the power of suggestion to move you.

Of course, if the hypnotist tells you to do something that you would never do otherwise, you can easily resist.

I had a great time when I was hypnotized. I would be interested in practising self hypnosis, as my mind often holds me back from spontaneous actions that I would really like to try.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

i've heard intelligence level is a massive factor... i.e. it only works on people with a 100+ IQ.... im not convinced myself tho, i think it depends on how much rapport you build up with your hypnotist and how relaxed you are...

repetition is massive too, remember they are trying to re-program your brain... if your brain has been programmed to lighting a smoke the minute you wake for 30 years, then 1 30 min session really isn't going to cut the mustard..

get a non-smoking cd from a well know hypnotherapist (Paul McKenna is the best if you're English, but i'd reccomend one in your own dialect if poss) listen to it for 30 days running and if it doesn't work, then you're either immune, stubborn or, if you believe the experts, possibly stupid

i know one thing, I love a good conspiracy and fall into trance very quickly now days...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glass
reply to post by Akragon

I've allowed myself to be hypnotized for recreational purposes, and I don't consider myself weak willed or weak minded.

Typically, if you are aware of the hypnosis and actively resist, it will not work. If you regularly practise critical thinking, it can be much more difficult to hypnotise you without your "consent", not meaning that you only have to say "Ok, you can hypnotise me," but you have to essentially let your guard down and allow the power of suggestion to move you.

Of course, if the hypnotist tells you to do something that you would never do otherwise, you can easily resist.

I had a great time when I was hypnotized. I would be interested in practising self hypnosis, as my mind often holds me back from spontaneous actions that I would really like to try.

Interesting, though i actually said that. Without trust its impossible.

I went to a hypnotist show once. It was very amusing but i found myself wondering... Either these people on stage were actors, or they have no will of their own. I wasn't sure which i believed. Afterwords one person remained hypnotised, basically any time anyone said the word Dog, he barked like a dog without even noticing it.

After i actually talked to him, my final conclusion was... "well this guy is just a moron"...

Either way, its very possible to be hypnotised if you let it happen. I don't have the ability to just blindly trust someone with my mind.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

everyone is hypnotised to some extent... next time you say someones name when they are watching a film and they don't hear you... it's mild hypnosis at work...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Anyone can be hypnotized except those who have mental problems of some kind. And that would most likely not include anyone who can form a coherent thought on ATS. There is nothing weak minded or weak willed about hypnosis. Hypnosis is a valuable tool once you understand it, and learn to utilize it.

If you are strong willed, and able to focus your mind for any length of time, you are an ideal candidate for hypnosis. Varying degrees of hypnosis is achieved several times a day by all people of average or above intelligence. They just don't realize it. Doing it for yourself is simple, easy, and has cumulative effects.

There is a lot of misinformation about hypnosis out there. I have used it for many years. Educate yourself on it. There's nothing mysterious about it.

If you truly can't be hypnotized. You may have problems you need help with. But probably not. Understanding it will make it possible for you to achieve on your own without having to "trust" someone else if you so desire.

I will be glad to answer questions on it within my knowledge. If I don't know, I may be able to at least point you in the right direction.

Don't be fooled. There is no pride in not being hypnotizeable. It's quite the opposite.
edit on 5/6/2011 by Klassified because: ETA

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Beavers

I've noticed this when my sister is texting. She is completely oblivious to anything going on around her. I've called her name at least five times while she was texting, and after she finished she didn't acknowlege me until I said her name again.

I wonder sometimes how tapping a screen to form a broken sentence fragment full of acronyms can require so much concentration that it completely disables one's ears.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Glass

yep, you're spot on... people talk about getting 'in the zone' and this is exactly what's happening to your sister...

this is why product placement in films and marketing is so valuable... it just takes a direct command at the point you've been sucked in or confused slightly... (think that nice warm feeling you got as a kid watching the advert that was immediately followed by the direct command to "drink coca cola")

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I'm looking for an article I really wanted to share a while back in regards to this topic. There were correlations among the "conspiracy theory" crowd being highly susceptible to hypnosis. Very interesting article...I'll post it if I can get a hold of it!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by matrixportal

They might try to say there is a correlation. But what I have studied and learned about hypnosis over the years would say there is no correlation at all. People are people. Whether or not you believe or don't believe in a conspiracy makes no difference. The effects of hypnosis are the same.

edit on 5/6/2011 by Klassified because: Correction

edit on 5/6/2011 by Klassified because: spelling police

<<   2 >>

join