It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prepping Paid Off: The Southeast Tornado Outbreak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Hey guys, kadyr80 here again, and I am ever so thankful to have power again! I live near Huntsville, Alabama and was without power for 6 full days due to the damage caused by the tornado outbreak. I tried to document the situation as best I could on video.. I work with the county and did a lot of food saving and distributing as part of the relief effort.
Through the week of darkness, the entire area was under curfew, which reminded me all too much of martial law. I know it was to help combat looting and burglary, but it sure left me edgy. I slept with my PF9 within arms reach every night. I know my video doesnt capture the situation like I wish I could have, but it does give a glimpse, and I think I caught some pretty good images. Keep everyone in your thought in this time of disaster.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I really like the thread of your title.
I've made some posts in the past that try to explain why it's most important to prep/plan for the most likely or possible scenarios, rather than planning for an event that is so enormous, that civilization as we know it ends.

Being prepared for power outages, short term water loss,and in my case, the yearly occasion where we're snowed in for a few days til' we can all get together to clear some roadways, is a great place to start.

Just being prepared for the situations that are likely to occur really sets the foundation for being prepared for the enormous events, the likes of which mankind has yet to experience.

Glad you are okay, and took the time to document the tragedy.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Said this on the vid, but I will say it here too...

Very well done and well put together description of why we need to prepare and prepare some more. Any moment can bring the need for it to fulfilment and you never know when that moment will come to you.

Great job and glad you and yours are safe and well

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I am glad to hear you are safe. I also know what it is like, the gut feeling of feeling lucky that you made it, but sad for the folks who got it worse. Southern Illinois also has its pitfalls.

I was glued to the Weather Channel that whole night. I was worried about all of you down south.

Peace and thank you for sharing your experience. Just remember that you made it.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
/sarcasm

Well here is an important story from CNN that you missed from 6 days ago.

CNN hires Erin Burnett

/end sarcasm

At least it seems this was more important to them than the tornado destruction.

David Grouchy

p.s. Timestop 6:26 mmmmmm bar-b-que!
edit on 6-5-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy
/sarcasm

Well here is an important story from CNN that you missed from 6 days ago.

CNN hires Erin Burnett

/end sarcasm

At least it seems this was more important to them than the tornado destruction.

David Grouchy

Oh that is good to know. I guess I'd be more interested in that than helping out with the body counting, cleanup, and food distribution too. FEMA's response here seems better than Katrina's but it still blows by the way.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Yeah,
I lived through Katrina,
on the gulf coast at the time.
Boy, do I have stories about that.

David Grouchy

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/95db615e6ec9.png[/atsimg]

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing, great video.

We recently got flooded in, and unfortunately we were caught off guard. We planned to got o the store the day we realized we were flooded. Fortunately family helped out, but we felt stupid and helpless until we got a load of about two weeks worth of food and supplies in. We cant have grills here so we got a bunch of ready to eat canned goods and such.

The devestation was hard to look at in your video, so sad. I am glad yall are safe and glad you prepared. A good leson.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Hey kadyr. Fellow North Alabamian here. I live near the Harvest/Monrovia area.

Glad to hear you and your family are ok. Great video. We were without power until Tues. as well and man was I ever glad we were prepared. Having a generator to run a few hours a day, a grill and plenty of food stored away made things a lot easier.

I'm still working on putting together my footage from that day. I did put up a short video dedicated to those we've lost earlier if you'd like to check it out. I've also added a few pics further down in the thread.

My video "hug" to North Alabama

Anyway, glad to know there are some other "conspiracy nuts" like me in my area. Haha.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jnyblujns

Great video man! I'm in New Market myself.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

Cheers! Glad you're ok and that you were prepared. Life experiences are indeed some of the best lessons you will ever receive. I got my "awakening" years ago when I lived through a couple of moderate Carolina hurricanes and a close friend lived through "Andrew" in FL.

I am now in tornado country and have prepared to the best of my ability. If my house gets leveled I still have my basement and my cache of food and supplies...

Good Work!

join