It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nurse jailed for aiding suicides

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Nurse jailed for aiding suicides

uk.news.yahoo.com

An American nurse who encouraged a British man to take his own life must return to jail every year for a decade on the anniversary of his victim's death.

He will be on probation for 15 years with a suspended six-and-a-half year sentence and will also be banned from using the internet without approval.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.coventrytelegraph.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
couldnt find any.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Not sure whether this is in the correct forum.

I know there is nothing extremely astonishing about the article or even the random sentencing handed down.

What struck me was this part:

"and will also be banned from using the internet without approval."

To my fellow ATSers out there in the States; is this

a) Allowed under your constitution and/or laws?

b) Realistic, how can they monitor him from accessing the internet without approval?

Also has this been done before?

I know what he did may be wrong, don’t know the full details, however, this sounds like a dark path - banning people from the internet - akin to the random stuff police and government’s everywhere are abusing the anti-terrorism laws.

Thanks and Peace

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
they wouldn't do that here in the US but ya never know anymore

suicide is good sometimes if ya put some thought into it not based on emotion
like a spur of the moment murder suicide

we should all be free to take our own lives

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

I think predators and internet related criminals like scammers/fraudsters get hit with the internet usage ban. Not sure how it could possibly be enforced though.

Seems odd that would be part of the sentence in this case.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

He stalked people on the internet in suicide chat rooms. He got a thrill out of setting people up to plan out 'double suicides' - only he didn't, obviously, kill himself. He also posed as a supportive matronly female. He got addicted to the 'chase'.

He is banned from the internet because that's his hunting ground- just like a SO would be banned from schools or areas where children play. The whole thing is just wrong. And how lonely were the hurting ones who took his bait? Just sad.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 11dead1

Hey 11dead1, it was in the US, Minnesota.

Just never heard of a sentance like that.

Thanks

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

Nice little slippery slope you have found here.

While I am unsure about the assisted/suggested suicide.
There is a place for it.
But where do we draw the line?
Who was assisted or maybe forced, and how would we even know?
Now as for being banned from the internet, is this actually a "RIGHT"?
Can we claim "I have a right to browse the web"?
Maybe we should add internet to the bill of rights, or maybe then it would/could muddy up the waters even worse than it is now.
Nice little problem you have found here, S&F.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I think your right I suppose they do the same with paedophiles now I am thinking a bit.

Just with all the technology nowadays and with endless ways of getting online it seems rather odd being banned without proper approval prior.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
What about 3rd trimester abortions?
We allow that to continue but not this?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Definitely,

I also remember Gordon Brown saying something like internet usage has now become a human right in the modern era or something to that effect.

Then again he said a lot of things

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

They do it here all the time to whoever they want, not just sex offenders. Hackers, embezzlers, you name it. If a computer was remotely involved they can and will do it.

I don't think it is right. It's like ordering someone not to read books. But then, I'm not a vicious psychopath who wants criminals to be tortured, like the person who will inevitably show up to yell at me for having the uncivilized audacity to advocate for justice rather than revenge.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

well said, sometimes I think we are on the verge of a break through and that there are signs of improvement. Then I get a slap of reality and wondering where its all heading.

Peace

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
What about 3rd trimester abortions?
We allow that to continue but not this?

What about assisted suicide, which is the actual topic?

There should be no restrictions on helping the terminally ill depart on their own terms. Admittedly I don't know the details of this particular case, though in general a ban on human euthanasia is pure cruelty.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Melchert-Dinkel, of Faribault, Minnesota, had posed as a suicidal female nurse on the internet to befriend Mr Drybrough, 32, feigning compassion and offering step-by-step instructions on how to kill himself.
Rice County District Judge Thomas Neuville found the 48-year-old guilty in March of aiding the suicides of Mr Drybrough and of 18-year-old Canadian Nadia Kajouji, who died by jumping into a river in 2008.

Not applicable in this case, I think. Him being a nurse wasn't really relevant.

top topics

join