It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insect with extra set of wings found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

A cicada-like creature called the treehopper has a third pair of wings in a reversal of usual insect evolution, French scientists say. Previous research suggested the helmet came from exoskeletal plates on the first thoracic segment. Prud'homme and his team say it is actually a fused pair of wings, although it is not used for flying. The researchers say the treehoppers' helmet is the first known example of new body appendages appearing in more than 250 million years of insect evolution.

source

Insects show up mammals yet again. I wouldn't mind having one set of wings. Always fun to witness evolution in action.

edit on 5/5/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
That is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Well it is a good thing it was not me who first discovered that thing since my wife would have made me kill it with my shoe.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
That is one ugly bugger.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

sorry I tried to post the image.Im not sure how. NIce find.That sucker looks like he has an arsnel of poisonous weapons that can squirt sting and bite you.
edit on 5-5-2011 by Angrybadger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angrybadger

sorry I tried to post the image.Im not sure how.
Here are the instructions:
ATS Media Guide Step By Step
That should tell you how, but if you get stuck and need help I can help you.

Actually if you click the link below the picture in the OP link, it takes you to a page with over a dozen pictures of different types of treehoppers. I would have thought they are all different insects as they look completely different, but they are apparently all treehoppers.

This is the first I heard of a 3rd set of wings. and it's interesting that they're not even wings anymore. I'm not sure why it would need 3 sets so I guess it makes sense they evolved for another purpose.

new topics

top topics

join