It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you looking to buy your first hunting rifle? then look at this one.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Marlin Model XS7
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a03563c0a498.jpg[/atsimg]

On another thread I was asked to make a specific recommendation for a first time hunters rifle. not something I normally do but since I was pressed here it is... A Marlin Model XS7 the one on the photo belongs to my son... he's added some extra touches to his... diff stock and scope but he could afford to ... as the new in box price is under $350 with a scope, under $300 if you acquire your scope elsewhere... for a beginning shooter/hunter I advise you to have the scope mounted for you... they can be tricky getting them leveled and aligned... ask to have it bore sighted too.

The XS7 has been around for sometime... owners seldom have anything bad to say in the reviews... while not a tack driver, assault weapon or super sniper. it is a very capable hunting long arm...
it comes in assorted flavors .243 7mm-08 .270 .308

.243 is the smallest round you'll want as a new hunter... not only is this a good proven round, great for varmints (That means rabbit sized) but in many states it is the smallest caliber allowed for deer hunting.

Below are the specs listed form one dealers web site

MARLIN FIREARMS CO Model XS7 Bolt Action Rifles
Marlin 243 Win. Bolt Action/22 Blue Barrel/Black Synthetic Stock w/3-9X40 Scope

The XS7 bolt action rifle with scope is built for those who demand premium features at a fair price. Noteworthy features include an adjustable Pro-Fire trigger system, Soft-Tech recoil pad, fluted bolt for speed and smoothness, a pillar bedded stock for accuracy and recessed target style muzzle crown.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: XS7243WS
Category: FIREARMS - RIFLES
Action :Bolt Action
Caliber :243 Winchester
Barrel Length :22
Capacity :4 + 1
Trigger :Adjustable
Safety :Two Position
Length :42 1/2
Weight :6 1/2 lbs
Stock :Black Synthetic
Finish :Blue

Not a bad deal when you figure the Package Price is only $332.50

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Now that's a sexy looking gun!

Thanks for the advice, not for me, but for others looking to get into hunting.

My Grandpa was a gunsmith, and whenever I'd go visit them, he'd let me cut and grind the butt-stocks. Very nice stock btw! Very nice looking.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I used to have one of these in .308 back about 5 years ago, until the vengeful "X" came along, and took some of my guns. I reallllllly miss it a lot. Its almost comparable to losing a child I think. R.I.P. to that rifle, and my glock. Hopefully I will be able to replace it before TSHTF. I had a 6 power leupold mark 4 on it, and boy I could get surgical with that thing. Great, great gun, and D.B. is right about it being a perfect beginners rifle in .243.

by the way, what kind of scope do you have on that ?
edit on 5/5/11 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Like I said it's my sons gun
he's at college now so I asked him to send me a photo..
but now that you ask... it sure looks like "MY" missing simmons 4-14x44mm?????
edit on 5-5-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

That looks real nice. How much did it cost with all the upgrades?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Now thats a beautiful rifle friend I have a similar stock for my mosin nagant, I recently switched it back to the soviet red stock. Im probably going to catch alot of flak for posting about my Nagant in a thread about hunting rifles as most hunters HATE us milsurp hunters.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by bulletproof_monk

That looks real nice. How much did it cost with all the upgrades?

If it is my scope I think I paid like $200 and some change for it
($20 to $50 is the going rate to mount a scope for you)
the replacement stocks can be bought on line for $150 and up...
(doesn't include labor to fit and bed the barrel)
Add in the $300 rifle....
so lets say about $600 to $675 for what you see in the picture

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 4Starlight2Decay0

I wouldnt worry to much about it.... Plenty of good Milspec weapons make fine hunting rifles...
Personally I'm not a big fan of the Nagant but ya know it's like ford and chevy people we like what we like...
Me I'd go with a fn scar 17 (.308 version of the scar 16) but that my friends is almost $3,000
better for a new shooter to go with the $300 dollar model dont ya think

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Precisely, the scar is awesome but not my personal pick. I tend to lean towards cheap, accurate and brutal weapons. Mosin nagant+scope+400 rounds of steelcore armor peircing ammunition=$350.

*Edit* Forgot to add I switched out to a match trigger with 20oz. pull weight, the trigger cost me $90 I paid less for the rifle!
edit on 04/28/2011 by 4Starlight2Decay0 because: forgot something!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by 4Starlight2Decay0

Me I'd go with a fn scar 17 (.308 version of the scar 16) but that my friends is almost $3,000
better for a new shooter to go with the $300 dollar model dont ya think

A friend of mine has a SCAR 16 and I'm here to tell you if you can afford one, it's AMAZING. I'd love to see the SCAR 17 in action!!

I think your suggestion for a first hunting rifle is a good one. Personally I would go with the .308 version but that's just me.
edit on 5-5-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4Starlight2Decay0

400 rounds of steelcore armor peircing ammunition=$350.

edit on 04/28/2011 by 4Starlight2Decay0 because: forgot something!

Ya do know that Chinese made ammo with the steel core isn't armor piercing right???
They did that because it's cheaper to make... using less lead... lead is pricey while steel is not... it also bypasses the no lead in wetlands rules...

It was the gun grabber crowd who first make the claim steel core was armor piercing, banned it in certain calibers. But time and again tests have proven it will not penetrate a good qual bulletproof vest... so much for the myth...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

That's beautiful! Isn't a .243 a necked-down .30-'06? I will check but that was a favorite flat-shootind long range whitetail round in Texas.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Oops.. the .270 is the necked-down .30-'06... that should be good for anything that ails yah!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The .243 is a necked down .308, so you were close! I agree with the OP, the XS7 is a great rifle for someone looking for an accurate,quality rifle without breaking the bank. I must say,with the XS7 and the Stevens 200 along with some of the other Savages, I don't think it's ever been easier or cheaper to buy a new,high quality hunting rifle. Sure, guns used to be a lot lower priced than today, but when you look average income's today compared to say 30-40 years ago, I think we have the better deals now.
New guns are always fun, it's exciting to get your scope mounted, buy or load up some ammo and hit the range to see how it'll do. Yesterday I bought a Savage 99F in .308,and I'm really excited to get it cleaned up and see if I can get the old girl to shoot again!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Very nice gun. I personally love my '68 winchester 30-30 my pops gave me when i was a kid. I do have a 280 for occasional use but I always seem to go back to my trusty open sight rifle. Its a dead shot and has never let me down in 30 years of use.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I really miss my Marlin lever action 30-30 and my Springfield 03A3. Both were nice shooting guns. The Springfield looked brand new.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

I know most steelcore isnt designed for AP but it will punch cleanly through about an inch of steel making in pretty darn AP.You can also buy a type called b-32 that is actually API(armor piercinf incendiary) that will destroy darn near anything. I havent tried chinese ammo yet mostly Hungarian heavy ball, and some Polish light ball
edit on 04/28/2011 by 4Starlight2Decay0 because: ackle

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I really miss my Marlin lever action 30-30 and my Springfield 03A3. Both were nice shooting guns. The Springfield looked brand new.

sounds u got cool stuff. By the way, how do u think about this [SNIP]? Is it nice stuff to go with??

Mod Edit: Removed advertisement/Spam
edit on 1-6-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Not bad, but keep in mind Wal-Mart sells a Remington 30-06 w/ nice scope suitable for SHTF sniping, mass murder, hunting, or whatever your thing is. All for the low price of $298.

new topics

top topics

join