It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army Issues Electromagnetic Gun Program Contract

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The US army has given a 3 month 30.8 million dollar contract for a company to research, develop and make working model of a Electromagnetic gun for the US army. The New system would fit the army�s future combat vehicles. Anyone here think its a bad idea to develop this?

Curtiss-Wright Corporation was awarded a 36-month, $30.8 million contract for the design, development, build and test of a compact pulsed power supply in support of the US Army's Electromagnetic Gun (EM gun) Technology Maturation and Demonstration program. Curtiss-Wright's Flow Control segment will act as prime contractor with responsibility for the overall machine design.

As the first step in the progression towards a fully fieldable electromagnetic weapon system, the pulsed power supply is a key component of EM gun technology envisioned to be part of the weapon systems of the future. Beyond the initial three-year technology demonstration program, the program presents significant additional development opportunities for all aspects of the EM Gun through the next decade.

Electomagnetic Gun

[edit on 31-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Intersting that it is the Army that is conducting the research studies. The main group I have always assosiated Rail Gun technolgy with was the Navy. If they can pull off the power issues, it could spell the end of the MBT as we know it. Very few armour packages could withstand a heavy slug accelerated to those speeds. Could also be used for artillery and AA purposes as well. Its going to be an interesting next 20 years to say the least. The rapid advance of technology keeps accelerating.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
It wouldn't be the end for the MBT, they would just be equipped with them.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I read about this. I make railguns and coilguns as a hobby. I don't think it would be a good weapon due to rail erosion and power requirements, I don't think it would provide enough power. Enough electricity to possibly fibrillate 3 people only pushes a piece of aluminum foil 4 inches usually.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Well we never know until we try right that is why they are developing this system. If it works out great if it doesn't oh well. Plus kozzy if we actually do get a working gun out of this not everyone will have it right away not surely 3rd world countries wont have it.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
More Gee-whiz stuff. The projectile would be too slow to accelerate compared to a controlled explosive charge.Not that the idea would not work,but it would not be worth it.
One question: Does all that electromagnetism interfere with other electronics in the area,like an electromagnetic pulse?
Masers are the way of the future. Not lasers. That is how giant stones were carved in ancient times.

top topics

join