It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Disturbing Comet Elenin Trajectory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

I've just come across this video that has been posted today. It is a simulation of Comet Elenin's path, including the gravitational pull of the object.

I am asking for your help to find the source of the video. I wonder if it is accurate, since we "officially" don't know the size and mass of the comet.

This is interesting, and I hope it won't happen this way because this would be catastrophic.

Thanks everybody!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

I wonder if it is accurate, since we "officially" don't know the size and mass of the comet.

You pretty much answered your own question. Since we don't know the mass of the comet, any claim about its "gravitational attraction" is completely spurious. All indications are is that its an ordinary chunk of dust and ice less than a kilometer across. Ergo, the source of the video is yet another YouTube hoaxer.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
There are two threads on this already.
Elenin

edit on 4-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I believe NASA has been said that this comet has been hypothesized to be 10km or 6.25 miles in diameter. Below is the link I read this on. If true, and it hits Earth, we humans could be F'd in the A. I hope it's not true as well.

Link

TWBU

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
BAD NEWS FROM NASA

www.activistpost.com...

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekeye2
BAD NEWS FROM NASA

www.activistpost.com...

There's nothing there from NASA aside from an orbit simulator so why state an obvious false? The guy talking is a "natural health expert and self-sufficiency advocate" sooo.... yea. At least read the stuff you propagate.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Seekeye2

The guy who wrote this is a "natural health expert" and survival book writer - nuf said.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Watts

Actually there is something from NASA:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

down botton of page look at close-approach data 16th October 2011

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

That 21 million mile distance reference? That data? Do you realize that is also way above the earth's orbital plane? Comet tail matter is largely ice, dust up to the size of pebbles, and mostly subatomic particles, like in the ionosphere, Northern Lights. Scary stuff.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Watts

Actually there is something from NASA:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

down botton of page look at close-approach data 16th October 2011
Yeah, Elenin is going to get slightly closer to Earth than Venus does every 8 months. Venus is a planet roughly the same size as Earth, billions of times more massive than any comet.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gab1159

I am asking for your help to find the source of the video. I wonder if it is accurate, since we "officially" don't know the size and mass of the comet.

This is interesting, and I hope it won't happen this way because this would be catastrophic.

Thanks everybody!
It's quite clear he's running some kind of simulation and has input the mass of the comet as at least a substantial fraction of a solar mass. If the comet were actually that mass, we would have already seen substantial perturbations in the orbits of the outer planets and asteroids. What's presented in the video is a totally inaccurate simulation of Elenin's actual pass through the inner solar system.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The mass itself could be quite big. Remember, the last 3 Sun-Earth-Elenin alignments caused MAJOR quakes here on Earth. I just find this odd.

Thanks for all the answer...that's what I thought: speculation on the mass.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

It's not even agreed upon that the Moon has any effect on earthquakes here and it has the most gravitational influence on earth, the sun being second. Also remember comets are of lower mass than asteroids and dead moons, like ours. Planet alignment pulling on earth, and further fantasy of comets pulling on earth is bad science and terrible math, plain and simple. What you read has no basis in science, it's basis is something else.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gab1159
The mass itself could be quite big. Remember, the last 3 Sun-Earth-Elenin alignments caused MAJOR quakes here on Earth. I just find this odd.
No, there were earthquakes that happened within a few days, give or take, of the point of least separation of the three bodies. There was never a linear alignment in 3D space, and it is wild speculation to say any earthquakes were actually caused by this (first rule of science: correlation does not imply causation). If Elenin had enough mass to cause earthquakes here, it would already be apparent in much more certain terms than coincidental earthquakes.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

It's quite clear he's running some kind of simulation and has input the mass of the comet as at least a substantial fraction of a solar mass. If the comet were actually that mass, we would have already seen substantial perturbations in the orbits of the outer planets and asteroids. What's presented in the video is a totally inaccurate simulation of Elenin's actual pass through the inner solar system.

The simulation appears to be the NASA simulation that is linked above. Yes it is inaccurate, the NASA site explicitly warns that it is based on a two body model and should not be relied upon for exact distances and times. Never-the-less it is 'close enough' for all reasonable discussion purposes unless that discussion is about sending a probe to land on it.

That simulation shows that when the comet crosses the ecliptic, it is roughly in the orbit of Mercury (which is on the other side of the sun at the time). And even though it gets closer to Earth in simple distance, it is actually getting farther away since it is climbing 'up' above the ecliptic.

This thing isn't getting anywhere near close enough to have any effect on Earth or us.

top topics

join