It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the best preps are the skills you learn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
forget about stocking up and prepping physically. Chances are that any event will not be what you expect and even more likely you will be separated from your stockpile. what happens if a nuke went off when you are shopping or at work? do you think you can make it back home through checkpoints and traffic. What makes you think that you will even be in the same state at the time of the ELE event? The most wise advice is to buy silver and gold hold it and use it to pay for information, materials, and training to have a useful skill that you can barter with.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The best way to survive is to become like Jason bourne

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well I'm really close to being able to create and control an anti-radiation field at will!
Now that's quite a skill

No pun intended but what we hold inside will save us more then what we bought outside

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
forget about stocking up and prepping physically. Chances are that any event will not be what you expect and even more likely you will be separated from your stockpile. what happens if a nuke went off when you are shopping or at work? do you think you can make it back home through checkpoints and traffic. What makes you think that you will even be in the same state at the time of the ELE event? The most wise advice is to buy silver and gold hold it and use it to pay for information, materials, and training to have a useful skill that you can barter with.

Yes learning skills is of high importance.
There are many precautions you can take though. Caching, get home bags, every day carry items, car kits ETC.
At the end of the day luck will play it's part as to where you are when a situation goes down. As to buying silver and gold to pay for skills, I think in my honest opinion it would be too late by then if you were having to use these metals to pay for skills.
You say forget about stocking up but what if you can make it home, then at home there is nothing. Living off the land is far harder than many of would be survivalists will admit to.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by colec156

I too agree that Living off the Land is harder than we think. I know from experience from my living on this earth.
I think that if we are to survive when the SHTF, then we all need to start living like that right now.
Stop those un-necessary purchases, living like there is no tomorrow.
Start to cut back on your living expenses, eat less, stop living online, thru the TV. Quick burning all those lights to ward off thieves, and to light your/their way thru the nights. You are only helping those thieves to steal your stuff by giving them a light to help them see what they want.
Start living on less, for when the SHTF there won't be an abudance in our lives to choose from. We will have to grow, or pick and hunt for our foods and there will be others out there doing the same. You will have to be prepared to live on less, can you do it???
May as well get into that mode now, by learning how to live without our wants and only acquiring our bare necessities.
Can YOU do it???
I am trying daily to do this, it is a challenge, living in this world and trying to live like this. My friends/family thinks I am crazy, but... I may be the only one to survive this kind of a calamity, who knows?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

If I said this once ...I've said it 100 times.....

CORDAGE!!!!!! For all them guys with tricked out gear, ie...cool knives, hi-tech guns, bad arse BOB's....etc..etc..
This is for the situation, where your can't get to your BOB...and whether anyone likes it or not, its knowledge any survival minded peep should know, and practice enuf.."once or twice" so that your not completely unfamiliar with it...

What good is that nice shiney skinning knife, if you can't accquire any meat, to cut up!
Cordage video......

Dogbane, and stinging nettle make superior cordage too...I preferr dogbane!!!!
After you make multiple lengths of cordage, they can be be braided together, and WILL be srong enough to snare coyotes and even small whitetail deer.....

Now, I'm not making this statement, to sound cool, or be mean to anyone, but unless a person has something to skin, that uber cool tech/gear and knives will be ..just that..cool... you can't eat .."cool"..
So here's what your cordage, among many other things is for....also for clothing, shelter building..etc...etc...

Good tutorial, for knife making from river rock.......

heres my 3rd attempt at knife making...they don't need to be this pretty, but it makes a person feel good to be able to do this good...

With those two skills, "also add primative fire building skills" you can feed yourself, make clothing for warmth...and if needed some nice rabbitt skin shoes, to avoid frost bite and/or torn up feet, from rough terrain..."if you happen to be a tender foot" LOL like me...

Just remeber unless, your super cool cold steel full helt knife, although very cool...and yes I own nice modern knives, but a SHTF senerio, won't be when you expect it!!! You/everyone should be knowledgable of the basics, so if you can't get to your nice store bought toys...you can still live rather nicely....
I sure hope my embeds work....I so am not good at them...
Peace...Doc see ya on the boards..
edit on 4-5-2011 by Doc Holiday because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join