It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concern along the New Madrid Fault due to flooding

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nades0r

Look at all of the Floodgates that are due to be finished March 2011- Summer 2011.
Why don't they just open them up??? About 7 floodgates

Articile, Corps of Engineers.

www.mvn.usace.army.mil...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Back in April 8, there was this thread I posted in, here. It asks, what about our fear. Mine was a pervasive fear of rising waters. You can see my post there, on page 3, the 11th one down. I live in the MidWest in a certain
-relevent- area.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2-5-2011 by simone50m because: spellx

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

i LIVE in VT inside the red area I didn't have a clue. local news doesn't seem worried i guess thats good.

EDIT: just incase my sarcasm did not come out. Local news is just as distracted by osama.
edit on 2-5-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Are there any updates? I dont live in that area and had no clue there was major flooding going on.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Latest "official" updates are here: www.facebook.com...

Set to go between 9pm and midnight tonight [local], whenever prep is finished.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by iycunet

I dont think surface level explosives could trigger an earthquake.

But I'm open to a wager.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric

Osama is dead....

Big news... I know... I even started a thread about it...

but I see this as a distraction...
to keep our attention away from that levee

Yes, a planned release of pressure from a levee that might otherwise fail is a great thing to stage an international event in rder to distract from.

And here I thought it was cuz the US government doesnt want anyone coming to my birthday party.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
whats strange is this, (and please dont get me wrong Im not one of those people who try to spread fear or think this means anything but..) my daughter who is 9 came downt he stairs about an hour ago and asked me if we had an earthquake, I said huh? she said she had a nightmare and she woke up and felt the house shaking, I told her it was a truck on the busy street, we live in Chicago but then I go to this thread a min ago and read this, Im a little scared now, I also had a weird dream I was being chased by blue suv's and it was pouring rain out. I hope y'all dont think Im crazy, just wanted to share this.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedom12
The blast will be a surface blast to open the levee. This will not be an underground blast so it WILL NOT affect the New Madrid faultline. Please stop the unnecessary fear-mongering!

YEs, but it gives lonely people a feeling of importance.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

The explosives were put into pipes that were in the levee, The explosive was heard in St. Louis, People houses over 18 miles away shook. That is pretty scary for the people around there.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

The explosives were put into pipes that were in the levee, The explosive was heard in St. Louis, People houses over 18 miles away shook. That is pretty scary for the people around there.

And the levee is above ground. It didnt trigger an earthquake. No one said explosives wouldnt make a loud explosion. This thread's premise is based on nonsense.

IF they hadnt blown the levee, I bet the very same people would be claiming it was a nefarious plot.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsoobvious
if the blast ddoesnt trigger an eq the sudden release of pressure could trigger one as well!!

Could do.

Water weighs a lot and if there is enough of it suddenly relocated to another place, I'd say it would affect pressure on the fault.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

Well, Check this out on HAARP Magnometer: What are they Up To??? This scares me.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Oh wow, thanks for sharing this, and the link

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

What does it mean?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by notsoobvious
if the blast ddoesnt trigger an eq the sudden release of pressure could trigger one as well!!

Could do.

Water weighs a lot and if there is enough of it suddenly relocated to another place, I'd say it would affect pressure on the fault.

Holy crap?

You're serious, arent you?

You think above ground factors can effect the MASSIVE pressure and weight of tectonic plates?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I apologize for my opinion being wrong [though I still believe there were better ways, at least that explains the overkill], but my facts were right. [All IF's now moot, of course.]
The eastern side of the New Madrid fault is a huge free-floating, seesawing table, and there are places on the table much more shallow than the rest, such as the "bubble mountains" along the southeastern edge. The surface of the seesaw is balanced by the heavy soil layer--which is more fragile than usual right now, from a variety of factors, including the increased rainfall itself. [Not the bedrock, depending on who you ask, but at least the fracked, frazzled, water-logged mud on top of it.]
It's some of the geophysical scientists themselves, not just the laymen, who were already worried about the fracking and other explosive mayhem causing instability on the western side of the fault. The recent extreme loss of oil, and therefore weight, in/under this plate is yet another factor.
We know from previous quakes that, in that very area, the magma is not so far beneath the river. Several miles deep does not always mean several miles from its top to the surface. Hot magma and cool water mixing creates problems of its own.
"Fear-mongering" is a FAR CRY from people who live, work, or have loved ones in an area, being already afraid of the status quo, getting more worried about the "glass floor" when someone wants to explode things in, on, or near it.
The thing best proven over the last 2 years especially is that no aspect of the US [possibly *any*] government can be trusted. If it could, this site would die a quick death, most likely, if it ever existed. Until it was blown, we had no reason to believe for certain that it would in fact be a surface-only explosion. Official word on the subject: We say it's okay. Shut up. [No mention of who says, or why, based on what factors/evidence.--see Bird Point Facebook page.] Now add the various exercises ongoing, including quake awareness campaigns, many concentrated in this same area. *Who* spread the fear?
If 250-265 tons of explosive slurry [in the hands of the shady, on unstable ground] isn't deemed enough to make anyone worry...can I come play in your backyard next [insert local major fireworks holiday here]?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I know this thread hasnt been posted on for awhile and things didnt come to fruition, but we have kind of a different scenerio we been working on in another thread if your interested. I am sure we would be interested in hearing about more input. Its not so much about "when" the New Madrid could go but some weird history repeating similarities between 1811 and 2011 that preceeded the Dec 16th quake, that could make it plausible that this could be the year. If your interested. But its a long read on some pages

abovetopsecret

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Is it just me or are the Mississippi's tributaries looking a little high again?

Something I noticed today when riding by a few...one looked so high that it mirrored last spring's flood.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Hey BC!

Radpetey here. I know this is a bit off topic, but I just felt the ground shake just south of the university.....

Did you feel anything in the last couple minutes....?

Oh! it is 8:13.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join