It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying Food in Bulk..but what to make with it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I have seen many threads where buying bulk is mentioned, be it flour, beans, rice, or other dry goods. It is mentioned how to store such items, and how inexpensive they can be, but what will you make with them? In the situation of every day, OR in a SHTF scenario, I can only imagine eating beans and rice for so long. I know how to make different types of bread dough (and have the muscles to prove it!) and I have seen cookbooks on processing game, including fish, squirrels, deer, moose, you name it, but have yet to see something pertaining ONLY to dry non-peroshable ingredients. Does anyone have any sources they have used or know about?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a friend of mine showed this to me, because I was looking for the same thing. I'm sure eating the same staples everyday will get quite mundane. this should help huge, especially if you are planning to have a garden with it as well. I have packed spices, hot sauce, and flavor packs/bullion cubes away just for this occasion. LOL

foodstoragecooking.blogspot.com...
edit on 30/4/11 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
y2kkitchen.com

there's this one

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
If you have a grinder, you can make bean flour, which is good for adding to bread dough or soups. I prefer lentils. Red lentils cook fast and are very tasty.

I use jasmine rice for making risotto, sticky rice for making bibimbap, and basmati rice with indian food (lentil dishes, potato dishes, etc.)

I have a lot of canned tomatoes stored and dry pasta, so that is pretty easy to use. But you should be storing things you eat regularly so you can rotate it. That way nothing is wasted. I like to concentrate on indian style food for the the beans and lentils, because they make a lot of different dishes with just a few ingredients. Some types of risotto call for just some vegetables and rice, basically.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
rice in chicken bouliion, w/ any veggies added in

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

tabasco will be worth its weight in gold if teotwawki happens!! and mustard better have horseradish in it or it aint mustard

serious not, do people realize the energy and water needed to prepare "beans and rice".. i say it aint worth the trouble

a realisitic,tasty and cheap shtf food list:

1. canned chili with beans..(tasty, has meat, garlic, onion, chili powder, already cooked) just open can and eat!!
2. canned pineapple. high in vit. C ----so no scurvy

3. pringles..mmmm yummy and light weight and many flavors.
4. pepperoni ravioli (i like chef boyardee) tomato, garlic, onion, tasty and already cooked!! no water needed here either
5. honey, loads of honey [preferably raw] I implore those unaware to learn about this priceless food and its benefits. I dare say NO FOOD can touch honey's nutrient value
6. corned beef hash. potatoes are tastier than been if you ask me
7. any other canned fruit or canned pie filling has real berries which are very valuable
8. baked BBQ style beans. once again . NO WATER NEEDED
9. spam --i know, but hey when i lived in pearl city, I learned how much hawaiians use it. and they are pretty good sized dudes.
10. buy a few gallons of bleach..one gallon can treat tons of water
11. buy vinegar!! organic apple cider vinegar for its SUPERB benefits, and white vinegar cause it can be used to cook AND clean things from clothes to dishes to floors to bathrooms..
12. baking soda

MY POINT IS sure buy a 50 lb bag of rice, i have a couple. but seriously consider the WATER and ENERGY needed to prep both beans and rice. along with any other dried food

any feedback?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

cant really argue that beans and rice will take some energy and water but having cooked over a wood fire more than a few times I can say it is manageable, with rice cooking much much faster than beans. Although if you soak the beans overnight you'll be half way there without any heat.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I understand it is manageable. I also have beans and rice. But I think many are underestimating the critical point:

a. water will be a premium concern in a 'scenario'
b. the weight ovf water also makes it restrictive and precious since you won't be able to carry much.
c. fuel for heat source also will take up much space, which in a bugout is crucial.
d. Fire and any heat source compromises OPSEC. from the smoke and illumination, to a heat signature.
e. leads to a much higher risk of accidental fire, which could absolutely be devastating. The more fire is used, the higher risk of disaster.

the more I think about it, the less I even want rice and beans at all. just my personal opine.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

those are valid points no doubt about it. I suppose I want all the food options I can have. If you could see ahead of time which SHTF scenario you have to contend with things would be easier, you know ?
thanks for the thoughts
and notice I didn't argue water

edit on 5/1/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel that way. I just really wanted to add what I think is overlooked, I starting getting all evangelical. And, no I wasn't under the impression you were either.

man, I know murphy's law will creep in somewhere in shtf scenario. maybe we should take a step back and think of condiments, sauces, etc.. you know, kinda like having chicken nuggets and forgetting any types of dipping sauces, that would kinda suck..

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

No problems here my friend. Good luck to us all. Thanks again

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I would look into Native American recipes.Agree about the grinder. The Chinese make amazing things out of rice. Including a lot of bakery items. I would look into that too.
edit on 3-5-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join